cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After clean install, install asus or up to date drivers direct from vendors?

pete_agreatguy
Level 8
Hi all,

After finishing my build and installing Windows 10 for the first time; should I use up-to-date vendor drivers or the drivers only from the Asus support website?

Thanks in advance 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
The up-to-date vendor drivers. The asus site will nearly always lag behind and may never catch up / over time.

Make sure you get latest chipset drivers from amd. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

RedSector73 wrote:
The up-to-date vendor drivers. The asus site will nearly always lag behind and may never catch up / over time.

Make sure you get latest chipset drivers from amd. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

Thanks RedSector73, appreciate your reply.

I'll download both the up-to-date vendor drivers and those from Asus website.

If there are issues with the up-to-date drivers, I'll use the ones tested by Asus (known to work).

Thanks again 🙂

pete_agreatguy wrote:
Thanks RedSector73, appreciate your reply.

I'll download both the up-to-date vendor drivers and those from Asus website.

If there are issues with the up-to-date drivers, I'll use the ones tested by Asus (known to work).

No problem, If you want best optimized drivers, then program like snappy driver installer (it's free) https://sdi-tool.org/download/ is the way to go.

I'd personally rather get them direct myself. A little sceptical on programs like that snappy.

I've got all up-to-date drivers I need except for the audio as I couldn't find out which exact Realtek chip is on the board.

The only info I found was in the ini file from the Asus driver I downloaded:

[HardWareID]
HardWareID_NUM=1
HID(1)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_
HID(2)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_10438699 ;X99-A/X99-E
HID(3)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_87231043 ;Z270 Series
HID(4)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_87241043 ;Z270 Series
HID(5)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_87331043 ;Z270 Series
HID(6)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_872B1043 ;Z270 Series
HID(7)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_87351043 ;Z270 Series

[LIVEUPDATE_HID]
HardWareID_NUM=1
HID(1)_ID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_
HID(1)_VERSION=6.0.1.8339
HID(1)_DATE=01/02/2018
I attempted a google search to find out which Realtek chip it was from the hardware ID but I was unsuccessful.

It doesn't seem to list it on the specs web page or in the manual; other than "ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220".

Do you happen to know the exact chip? Do not worry if not 🙂

Also, do you recommend the "AMD StoreMI Technology" driver? I read there is no point to using this with my setup (OS on nvme, ssd for gaming and mechanical data drives).

Thanks.

pete_agreatguy wrote:
A little sceptical on programs like that snappy.

Not sure why, I would not recommend something that is spywares or otherwise. It is maintained by computer enthusiasts (just like you) and source code is published sourceforge, you can download from there as well. (you can't get safer than that, can you ?)

If you take the plunge, use the light version.

pete_agreatguy wrote:
Do you happen to know the exact chip? Do not worry if not 🙂

I use snappy to get most up-to-date / optimal drivers for my system, it knows the answer to this question.

pete_agreatguy wrote:
Also, do you recommend the "AMD StoreMI Technology" driver? I read there is no point to using this with my setup (OS on nvme, ssd for gaming and mechanical data drives).

Never used it. Does that help ?

raju2529
Level 7
install first chipset driver motherboard site , and after remaining drivers
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754