cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP 2.0 on Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme

MikeJeffries
Level 9
Hi Guys!
I just got my G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 and it says it works with XMP 2.0 Profiles.

Ive never had to use these new XMP Profiles... is there a difference between XMP and XMP 2? I assume I should be using XMP 2.0 with this ram to make sure I get to the 4000Mhz and 17-17-17-37 timings, but I really don't know much about what the difference is and if I should be using XMP 1 or 2.0 (although I would assume 2.0)

Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
XMP I is the validated board profile that you will have seen on past generations. Every time a board is validated, this profile is the one used by the memory vendor and ASUS. On Z390, there is now the option to use the DIMM profile which is XMP II. These settings are not validated, so mileage will vary depending on the kit and CPU.

XMP I - Board optimised timings

XMP II - Default XMP timings

Often, XMP II timings will be slightly looser depending on the memory kit. If you check within the UEFI or memtweakit, you'll see a difference in memory subsets.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
XMP I is the validated board profile that you will have seen on past generations. Every time a board is validated, this profile is the one used by the memory vendor and ASUS. On Z390, there is now the option to use the DIMM profile which is XMP II. These settings are not validated, so mileage will vary depending on the kit and CPU.

XMP I - Board optimised timings

XMP II - Default XMP timings

Often, XMP II timings will be slightly looser depending on the memory kit. If you check within the UEFI or memtweakit, you'll see a difference in memory subsets.

My apologies, but I'm very new to overclocking/tweaking and my understanding of it is pretty limited...

Last time I just set XMP I on my Z370 board and it set it automatically to 3200mhz.

Should I set my Trident Z Royal 4000mhz 4x8gb to XMP II or should I keep it at XMP I? CL is 17-17-17-37 on the ram kit i bought, so this could be worse if I do XMP II is what you're saying?

Would I be able to see the timings once I set it in the Bios settings to check which way is better?