Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

GPT header corruption on USB drives

Quote Originally Posted by Synergist View Post
    I also get this on each boot with a Maximus XI Hero running BIOS 1401; the USB drive is a Seagate USB3 4TB Backup Plus (STDR4000200) with a 200 MB EFI partition then two ExFAT partitions.

Several attempts to have the BIOS do an autorepair after POST have made no difference and it still complains on every boot. The disk has also been checkdisked and returned OK, next thing is to run gparted liveusb and see if it finds anything, but I suspect not.
    Anyone found a solution for this?

I also have the 1401 BIOS on a brand new computer. Windows doesn't boot if any drives are attached to USB ports. I have tried disabling CSM and USB legacy to no success. Asus says to return the computer (massive pain in the ****) to vendors but the vendors insist that there's nothing wrong with the motherboard and they're trying to get first hand info from Asus. This is a very annoying problem as I mostly work with external USB drives but i'm trying to avoid returning my working computer for a replacement.

Please help!

Thanks,

Guille

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by guillezoom View Post
    Anyone found a solution for this?

I also have the 1401 BIOS on a brand new computer. Windows doesn't boot if any drives are attached to USB ports.
    Please help!

Thanks,

Guille
    Came back here to see if there was any update on this issue. Apparently not.

I do have a work - around: I found a USB switch hub like this :https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-hb-um...9SIAME8AHU4189
    It looks like it's no longer in stock. What I do is when I go to reboot or startup, I turn the two WD Element USB drives oof. Computer boots with no problems. Then once booted up I switch the WD drives back on. So far working with no problems.

HTH

New ROGer Array

I have a Z390-E mobo (1401 bios) with the same problem, both on a 8TB WD my book and a new Seagate 8TB backup plus hub.

Bios 1502 fixed the problem here.

HTH

New ROGer Array

Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Paktai View Post
    set the GPT reovery policy in the boot options to Auto Recovery. After that my drive booted normally again.
    I was upgrading my system from win10 pro on an i7-6700 & maximus hero viii alpha to i7-12700k & rog strix z690-a; I got the same corrupted gpt boot headers - This resolved my win10 setup issues, thank you so much

side note, I actually installed a fresh copy of win11 on a raid 5 array of 4x 2tb m.2 drives, but I am using Hyper-v to boot the old drive in a virtual machine whenever I need to recover project information, old installations, run something on w10, recover an old software key, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2