cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPT header corruption

Puter
Level 7
I'm getting GPT header corruption detected not in 1105 bios, but in 1302 ido get the error. when I try to boot while my 8TB WD Backup Plus Hub drive is connected and I can't boot into Windows until i go into boot compatibility mode to fix it , then it takes alot longer to boot into windows, but in 1105 bios i dont have the error
16 REPLIES 16

chuckeer
Level 7
Same problem for me as well after updating to 1302 BIOS with my Maximus XI Hero Wifi. Previously was on 0905 BIOS from April 2019 and did not have any problems.

Unplugged my 10TB External WD Element Drives and it boots fine. Ran drive diagnostics tool provided by WD, no issues.

Installed 1105 BIOS from June 2019 and no issues.

I tried his suggestion:
Solution:
- Disable USB Legacy Support
- Disable CSM Compatibility < already had this one.

It did not make any difference, received the exact same error.

As roger had said, if I disconnect my external USB drive all is fine.

Are there any other suggestions?

For those that have the error and go back to 1105. I got the same error on the restore. Just power off/on that cleared it up for me.

it's strange this is not happing to more users. Wish Asus would respond with a fix.

Thanks,
Bill

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
same here. but my driver is not good. I am going to get another drive, mine is 4tb. And take the info out. and format the drive. i did fix that issue. but is gone i leave it on auto since is better for UEFI
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Paktai
Level 7
Hi,

just wanted you to know. I had the same issue when I just updated my BIOS to 1302. What I did was set the GPT reovery policy in the boot options to Auto Recovery. After that my drive booted normally again.
I hope that helps you all as well.

best regards

Paktai wrote:
Hi,

just wanted you to know. I had the same issue when I just updated my BIOS to 1302. What I did was set the GPT reovery policy in the boot options to Auto Recovery. After that my drive booted normally again.
I hope that helps you all as well.

best regards

YES!!

thank you. i just started experiencing the same issue and your suggestion fixed my problem as well!!

Same issue with my Western Digital external harddrives. unplugging them makes everything fine. Hope for a fix, a bios issue or incompatable issue I assume.

I have an Asus Z390-A with the latest BIOS 1401. Just built it several days ago.
I have a WD Elements 4TB USB external drive that I just hooked up to transfer files to my new build.
I am now getting the GPT Corruption error too.
Prior to hooking up the WD the PC started up fine with no errors.
I did get it to finally boot by loading bios defaults. But not really sure if that even did anything. It was at the defaults already!

Hoping Asus does something about this because the issue still remains unresolved.

grem wrote:
I have an Asus Z390-A with the latest BIOS 1401. Just built it several days ago.
I have a WD Elements 4TB USB external drive that I just hooked up to transfer files to my new build.
I am now getting the GPT Corruption error too.
Prior to hooking up the WD the PC started up fine with no errors.
I did get it to finally boot by loading bios defaults. But not really sure if that even did anything. It was at the defaults already!

Hoping Asus does something about this because the issue still remains unresolved.

I also get this on each boot with a Maximus XI Hero running BIOS 1401; the USB drive is a Seagate USB3 4TB Backup Plus (STDR4000200) with a 200 MB EFI partition then two ExFAT partitions.

Several attempts to have the BIOS do an autorepair after POST have made no difference and it still complains on every boot. The disk has also been checkdisked and returned OK, next thing is to run gparted liveusb and see if it finds anything, but I suspect not.
Hi mum!

UEFI settings that solved the header corruption detection problem for me:

PCH Storage Configuration > SATA Mode Selection > [AHCI]

changed to:

PCH Storage Configuration > SATA Mode Selection > [Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration(RAID)]