cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI CODE POSTs but can't boot - PSU issue?

Tech_Junkie
Level 7
[cross-posted in H/W Build]

i just completed a new build:

motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Code (BIOS updated to 1302)
processor: Intel Core i9-9900K
memory: 64gb (4x16) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVMe Gen3x4 M.2
video card: ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G
psu: ENERMAX SGALAXY EGX1000EWL

Haven't been able to boot OS, although system POSTs fine.

Currently thinking must somehow be mobo so replacement on way but i dread thought of tearing down and rebuilding.

Exhausted everything i can think of short of changing slot of video card but shouldn't matter b/c tried w/o and used on-board graphics. then, started wondering that perhaps PSU requirements have evolved since my last build.

thoughts?
13 REPLIES 13

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Please post Bios pics from anything concerning drives, boot order and boot config.

The OS:
- Freshly installed in this rig?
- rather uninstalled from another rig?
- If it was transplanted, in what did it live before?

The SSD:
- MBR or GPT format ?

thanks in advance

Rgds
Carlyle

Carlyle2020 wrote:
Please post Bios pics from anything concerning drives, boot order and boot config.

The OS:
- Freshly installed in this rig?
- rather uninstalled from another rig?
- If it was transplanted, in what did it live before?

The SSD:
- MBR or GPT format ?

thanks in advance

Rgds
Carlyle

i can grab other pics later when i'm home but i happen to have these two.

i'm not able to get to the point where i can select a drive, format it ... install os.

i intend a fresh install and i'd like to go with gpt for uefi installation.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Thanks,

i will wait for more info.
That it boots until this point let's me believe that it is rather a Bios missconfiguration than an RMA worthy issue.

There is hope 🙂

Rgds
Carlyle

Carlyle2020 wrote:
Thanks,

i will wait for more info.
That it boots until this point let's me believe that it is rather a Bios missconfiguration than an RMA worthy issue.

There is hope 🙂

Rgds
Carlyle

PSU seems to have been the issue. apparently i should've considered upgrading it as well. it is ok with powering graphics card but once i add one or more HDDs, the load when it tries to start the installation process must cause something to be out of spec and system powers down and reboots.

disconnected HDDs entirely (previously i had left the power cables attached so they were spinning up) and then everything worked perfectly without any special steps.

new PSU should arrive today but at least i'm up and running for now.

thanks for the useful info!

edrickjk
Level 7
I see lots of post lately with adata drive issue,maybe these a compatibility issue with asus board. IF you can access another computer could you try to update the drive firmware before trying it again ?

Or if you own an older drive, try to install window on it and see if it boot properly.

edrickjk wrote:
I see lots of post lately with adata drive issue,maybe these a compatibility issue with asus board. IF you can access another computer could you try to update the drive firmware before trying it again ?

Or if you own an older drive, try to install window on it and see if it boot properly.

I am using ADATA on our computers since the day Sx8200pro came on market. for now 0 Issues none.

I my codexi i am using 2 1tb gamix and the produccion machine 2 2tb sx8200 pro and on the stream 1 1tb. no issues nor z370/z390 and x470 and the x570
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I am using ADATA on our computers since the day Sx8200pro came on market. for now 0 Issues none.

On the last couple build i had, 2 adata where doa, had 1 samsung doa, 2 wd ........ no hardware is exempt of a bad batch or manufacturing defect.

Hence why im telling him to try in another system first and update the firmware.

edrickjk wrote:
On the last couple build i had, 2 adata where doa, had 1 samsung doa, 2 wd ........ no hardware is exempt of a bad batch or manufacturing defect.

Hence why im telling him to try in another system first and update the firmware.

i did have more DOA with samsung. a lot. there are updates on ADATA? or bios?
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
i did have more DOA with samsung. a lot. there are updates on ADATA? or bios?

They have an ssd toolbox on their consumer site,its worth the try , if im not wrong they do use a separe tool to do the flash,its not integrated in their toolbox.

had this append before on an older samsung 960 would be seen in the bios but refused to boot.Soon the firmware got updated it fixed the issue .