cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 C drive-use M.2_1 or M.2_2 socket?

scotsue
Level 7
I've had my new rig for over a year and have always had C drive M.2 installed into the M.2_1 socket, even though it's labeled Disk 1 and not Disk 0 in Disk Management which I would have though.

Is there an advantage to using one socket over the other for the system drive?

Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
that depends. What drive is it. Sata based? nvme? What's the board (as placement of the socket can have an impact on heat)

but speaking purely socket wise, none whatsoever. Windows doesn't give a rats ass what the "label" is.

scotsue
Level 7
Sorry I didn't clarify. I understand the label only identifies.

I meant to ask is if there is an advantage using one on board m.2 socket (m.2_1) over another (M.2_2) for C (M.2 drive).

scotsue wrote:

I meant to ask is if there is an advantage using one on board m.2 socket (m.2_1) over another (M.2_2) for C (M.2 drive).

Hi,

There is no technical advantage to using either (apart from the fact that in general the M2_1 is cooled by a radiator and far enough from GPU/CPU/RAM), the only difference between the two is the compatibility :

- M2_1: SATA and NVMe compatible
- M2_2: Only NVMe compatible

MoKiChU
Level 40
scotsue wrote:

Hi,

There is no technical advantage to using either (apart from the fact that in general the M2_1 is cooled by a radiator and far enough from GPU/CPU/RAM), the only difference between the two is the compatibility :

- M2_1: SATA and NVMe compatible
- M2_2: Only NVMe compatible

scotsue
Level 7
Perfect, all my thanks.