cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU upgrade

Severus99
Level 7
Hello people, im needing some advice as im only semi pc literate, any help is much appreciated.

My pc is a rog g20aj 4790, with 12g ram & a gtx 750.
I would like to upgrade to a gpu that would allow good 4k gaming, obviously i know the size is an issue. What i'd like advice on is the gpu upgrade & will the 4790 be an issue with 4k gaming?
As i haven't spent any money yet id like to know if my rig is worth trying to upgrade for 4k?
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
Severus99 wrote:
What i'd like advice on is the gpu upgrade & will the 4790 be an issue with 4k gaming?
As i haven't spent any money yet id like to know if my rig is worth trying to upgrade for 4k?

I'm going to say, no real point. Your at the end of 4th Gen with only K version above you (to my knowledge). Throw 2080ti in that going to cpu bound, 4k gaming going to see 1% lows a lot in the next few years gaming with that. Look at gaming consoles due out for both xbox and playstation. They are 16 thread monsters, CPU is going to matter in the near future to gaming.

May not be want you want to hear but I would be looking for new computer.

Min spec
AMD 3600 or the (x) this give clear upgrade path (3700(x), 3800(x), 3900x, 3950x) and maybe for next gen as well.
2x8 Ram @ 3200
x570 board (which is pcie 4.0 another clear upgrade path for GPU's future)
5700 XT graphics (already GEN 4.0 but there is bigger navi coming early next year and some interesting stuff from nvidia next year)
M2 card such as, ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB (good value, there are gen 4.0 m2 device already out as well)

You have good 4k start and future upgrade path for decent amount of time.

Hope you find this information of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
I'm going to say, no real point. Your at the end of 4th Gen with only K version above you (to my knowledge). Throw 2080ti in that going to cpu bound, 4k gaming going to see 1% lows a lot in the next few years gaming with that. Look at gaming consoles due out for both xbox and playstation. They are 16 thread monsters, CPU is going to matter in the near future to gaming.

Min spec
AMD 3600 or the (x) this give clear upgrade path (3700(x), 3800(x), 3900x, 3950x) and maybe for next gen as well.
2x8 Ram @ 3200
5700 XT graphics (already GEN 4.0 but there is bigger navi coming early next year and some interesting stuff from nvidia next year)
M2 card such as, ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB (good value, there are gen 4.0 m2 device already out as well)

Thx for the advice & i did think i my rig was pushing it. At least i know now, again thank you & have a nice day

RedSector73 wrote:

Min spec
2x8 Ram @ 3200

Is that build you suggested all compatible & is there any chance you could recommend a case?, preferably a full tower, thank you for your advice

Severus99 wrote:
Is that build you suggested all compatible & is there any chance you could recommend a case?, preferably a full tower, thank you for your advice

Yeah that's pretty generic. Everything works together I listed.

take x570 motherboard in asus alone

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Pro WS X570-ACE

TUF is good price and does most people (I have CH8) but they are all good boards (well Pro WS x570-ACE is workstation board - not recommend it)

For the graphics card
5700 XT anything not reference design
sapphire, gigabyte as a brand have good reviews.

Ram:
2x8 DDR4@3200 is best standard gaming option, however safest and best way to overclock your CPU (free upgrade) is ram o/c to DDR4 3600 (gaming best) will yield much better results with micron E or samsung b die. Micron E is easy to find - it's ballistix ram. And is cost effective. 3800 (application heavy) is much closer to RAM divide and even through I can run up to 4133, I settle at either 3600 (mostly) or 3800 (benchmarks) speeds. Samsung b-die is no longer produced (this year) but there is massive stocks of it and comes with b-die tax (it's expensive because it normally overclocks very well and is preferred choice by most overclockers but there are dud's the only reach advertised clocks, one way to be sure is do what i did, buy much higher specification, I went for 4133 knowing it would downclock and I could tighten up ram timing significantly with Ryzen DRAM Calculator tool) You can find samsung b-die with this tool https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/ and generally speaking most other ram work, g.skill is another good brand to consider.

cases:
I love my EVGA DG-87 case but it's HUGE and heavy, not for everyone. There are so many good choices since I bought that few years ago as well. like the Corsair Crystal 680X RGB Black E-ATX Case with triple rgb fans in them (on my nas) can watch them all day, it's chucky and as mid tower more like full tower.

Anyway there is some information, hope I don't overwhelm you.

My suggestion is how about you throw together on whatever site suits you, then link me (inbox if don't want to share) and go over your final choices. By offering alternatives or options or why something isn't good idea, while you control your spend / personal preferences, I think you will get the best results.