cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Com Service

Melting_Point
Level 10
What does this service (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\1.00.16\atkexComSvc.exe) do? I've notice that is seems to have a memory leak. When it starts, it uses only about 7MB of ram, but that slowly increases. After running for about 2 weeks, my was up to 1.9GB.

I presume it came with one of the drivers that I downloaded from the ASUS website, as that's the only ASUS stuff I've installed. What would stop working if I disabled this service?
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE
25 REPLIES 25

Shamino
its a process needed to link up with bios, so pretty needed. the leak is looked into and be expecting a fix later on

Shamino wrote:
its a process needed to link up with bios, so pretty needed. the leak is looked into and be expecting a fix later on

Thanx mate. As usual, keep up the good work.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Has the leak been fixed yet?

Take_it_Upstair
Level 7
Melting Point wrote:
What does this service (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\1.00.16\atkexComSvc.exe) do? I've notice that is seems to have a memory leak. When it starts, it uses only about 7MB of ram, but that slowly increases. After running for about 2 weeks, my was up to 1.9GB.

I presume it came with one of the drivers that I downloaded from the ASUS website, as that's the only ASUS stuff I've installed. What would stop working if I disabled this service?
thank you for the heads up ... I checked my AXSP folder and its only at 1MB, phew!

FiNAS
Level 10
just noticed today that it was consuming 1.2GB ram after one week always on!!!

any news on the fix ?

Okay, after searching high and low for a solution to the incredible atkexComSvc memory hog, I ran across a thread on another forum. I started with the "net start/stop atkexcomsvc" suggestion and tried to get it to work in Windows 7 x64. It didn't work like I'd hoped, so I continued to dig. I'll spare you the details of the search, but this is what worked for me:

1) Create a text file, then rename it to MemoryHog.vbs -- you choose the name.
2) Paste the following in the text file:

Code:

[/HR]'Restart the HOG
strServiceName = "asComSvc"
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name ='" & strServiceName & "'")
For Each objService in colListOfServices
objService.StopService()
objService.StartService()
Next

[/HR]
3) Move the text file to the folder of your choosing. I put mine in a folder named "C:\Batch"
4) Set up a new task in Task Scheduler (in Control Panel under Administrative Tools). Asus had set up a folder for itself (Task Scheduler (Local) > Task Scheduler Library > ASUS"), so I made a new task there...
5) Name your new task (I chose "ASUS Memory Hog Killer").
6) Triggers: 3am, 9am, 3pm and 9pm worked for me
7) Actions: Start a program... "C:\Batch\MemoryHog.vbs"
😎 Settings: Allow task to be run on demand, Stop the task if it runs longer than 30 seconds, If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop.

Test it to be sure it runs properly: open the task manager, find the process atkexComSvc and highlight it. Now run the task by clicking on the Run button in Task Scheduler. You should see atkexComSvc briefly disappear, then reappear without the huge amount of wasted memory.

That's it. No more memory hog. FWIW, I timed the increase in memory size of the atkexComSvc process: it eats almost exactly 1k of memory for each second that it runs. But no more: every 6 hours, my trusty vbs file slays the hog and eats it for dinner. Not a peep from AI Suite II, unlike when I killed the atkexComSvc process manually.

Maybe someday, Asus will figure out how to control their memory usage. Until then, "run, Forrest, run"! Hope this is of use to someone.

So, did anyone find this useful? Worthless? Haven't heard any feedback, but I'm just curious...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry mate for some reason I did not even see this post of yours.

Cheers mate nice fix.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

FiNAS
Level 10
hey, so sorry for not replying back and thanking. yes, I'm using it since the day you posted the "fix" and it's working great.

Obviously I would prefer a service that doesn't leak in the fisrt place. it's so strange that asus haven't released a fix.

Thanks!