cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HypeThreading - lets talk about it

chumacher
Level 7
Hi,
From gamers perspective it's totally useless in these laptops.

CPU takes 10w - 20w more power to operate @ 3900mhz with 6 cores when compared to hyper-threading disabled.
rises temperatures.

YES ASUS has hidden this option in bios but it is there, just behind locks.
you really should come together and demand ASUS to release bios update to EVERY model with 6 core 12 threaded cpu.

why?

well these laptops tend to get hot especially when not undervolted and/or there is factory thermal paste still inside the machine.
This little bios update would help many of you who are struggling with temps.

also games like CSGO perform better with hyperthreading OFF (4-8 core CPUS)
11 REPLIES 11

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
First core parking, now this? Oh boy... here we go again.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
First core parking, now this? Oh boy... here we go again.

you are a young boy who is pretending to be an adult and giving advice here. not a single adult would choose the avatar that you have.
you mr. "fullmetaljacket7" are full of **** if you don't know that those hyperthreading cores gererates heat, takes more power and yet the performance gain is SOMETIMES NEGATIVE (meaning that games run better with 6 cores than 6+6. you need to educate yourself by running tests or reading them online BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW how it works. now you just make an idiot out of yourself.

Anyone who wants to know the secrets to GL70X series laptop private message me and I will help the best I can.

please try to ignore this NAGGER (for reference watch youtube clip of south park "nagger" episode where randy plays wheel of fortune"

ps. try to help community not poison it "FULLMETALRETARD7"

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
You're probably reading stuff from the CoreDuo era. You're stuck in the past, just like you were with the core parking thing.
Whatever the circumstances, at least I'm not spreading misinformation.

Newer games will benefit from HT. It's pretty obvious that the cpu will generate less heat if you disable HT. Less processing power, less heat. What a shocker! Might as well underclock the CPU...
There's literally no benefit in disabling HT, unless you're running a very specific compute applications that requires that to actually gain performance (Matlab, for example).

Basically, HT uses residual cycles from a physical core to get more work done. If you disable HT for a multithreaded application, the power usage might go down but it will hurt performance. It will take more cycles to get the job done, essentially nullifying any benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacoxdT1o04
Hardware Unboxed did some testing on this some time ago. The results are clear as day.

Stop spreading misinformation from articles you read more than 10 years ago. Don't waste your time or anyone elses.

Now, you want something to play with? Go to bios-mods.com forums and make a request for a modded bios there. You might get lucky, if you're polite enough. IF by any chance you come across a modded bios for your laptop, flash it and run some proper benchmarks.

I will be waiting for the results.

Good luck!

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
You're probably reading stuff from the CoreDuo era. You're stuck in the past, just like you were with the core parking thing.
Whatever the circumstances, at least I'm not spreading misinformation.

Newer games will benefit from HT. It's pretty obvious that the cpu will generate less heat if you disable HT. Less processing power, less heat. What a shocker! Might as well underclock the CPU...
There's literally no benefit in disabling HT, unless you're running a very specific compute applications that requires that to actually gain performance (Matlab, for example).

Basically, HT uses residual cycles from a physical core to get more work done. If you disable HT for a multithreaded application, the power usage might go down but it will hurt performance. It will take more cycles to get the job done, essentially nullifying any benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacoxdT1o04
Hardware Unboxed did some testing on this some time ago. The results are clear as day.

Stop spreading misinformation from articles you read more than 10 years ago. Don't waste your time or anyone elses.

Now, you want something to play with? Go to bios-mods.com forums and make a request for a modded bios there. You might get lucky, if you're polite enough. IF by any chance you come across a modded bios for your laptop, flash it and run some proper benchmarks.

I will be waiting for the results.

Good luck!

you mr are salty and poisonous, everyone knows that games do not get better performance from 12 cores, it would require crazy amounts of optimizations to make 12 threads work nicely. so
SHUT THE F *** UP IF YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING 😄

BTw, i have modded bios and i did the benchmarks, now i'm just playing with you mr. 🙂 you just lost.

chumacher wrote:
you mr are salty and poisonous, everyone knows that games do not get better performance from 12 cores, it would require crazy amounts of optimizations to make 12 threads work nicely. so
SHUT THE F *** UP IF YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING 😄

BTw, i have modded bios and i did the benchmarks, now i'm just playing with you mr. 🙂 you just lost.

Salty and poisonous? You're the one mad at me since the beginning. I'm just chilling and enjoying my beer.

Oh really? That's neat. Show us the results.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Salty and poisonous? You're the one mad at me since the beginning. I'm just chilling and enjoying my beer.

Oh really? That's neat. Show us the results.

"beer" yees, i am 32 years old and you are brassing with beer.. that just completely proves that you are a young boy age around 18 - 22 who has just started his beer drinkin life. just stop being the person you are and be happy that i'm here to provide true information about these asus laptops that tend to have multiple issues regarding BIOS / HARDWARE and SOFTWARE. asus has not done so well with these laptop's and their RMA department knows that very well.

here is a sample of the bios menus you can unlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fohX-VqVlgE

if you want real information about hyperthreading (FPS games perspective)

chumacher wrote:
"beer" yees, i am 32 years old and you are brassing with beer.. that just completely proves that you are a young boy age around 18 - 22 who has just started his beer drinkin life. just stop being the person you are and be happy that i'm here to provide true information about these asus laptops that tend to have multiple issues regarding BIOS / HARDWARE and SOFTWARE. asus has not done so well with these laptop's and their RMA department knows that very well.

here is a sample of the bios menus you can unlock.

All you can do apparently is flame people around the forums... Keep doing that and you won't be here for too long.

I asked you for the benchmark results, not the bios menus screenshots. And I can't see anything HT related in there. You literally googled "gl703 unlocked bios" and uploaded the images. Those are the first 3 results. That's lazy.

Run the benchmarks and reply with the results. I'm patiently waiting.

This guy, which runs a very small YT channel is literally the only one I've seen so far that showed those results. He's literally just running around the map and recording the results. Also really close to be GPU bound in some cases. No methodology whatsoever. I'm sorry but I'm more inclined to trust Hardware Unboxed instead. I just posted the link in the previous reply. Take your time and watch it.

If all you play is Counter Strike, go ahead and turn HT off. For everything else (except compute tasks), leave it on. That's literally the only game I've seen that shows consistent gains with HT turned off. A game running on an engine from 2004. Wonder why...
Like I said before, you're living in the past.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
All you can do apparently is flame people around the forums... Keep doing that and you won't be here for too long.

I asked you for the benchmark results, not the bios menus screenshots. And I can't see anything HT related in there. You literally googled "gl703 unlocked bios" and uploaded the images. Those are the first 3 results. That's lazy.

Run the benchmarks and reply with the results. I'm patiently waiting.

This guy, which runs a very small YT channel is literally the only one I've seen so far that showed those results. He's literally just running around the map and recording the results. Also really close to be GPU bound in some cases. No methodology whatsoever. I'm sorry but I'm more inclined to trust Hardware Unboxed instead. I just posted the link in the previous reply. Take your time and watch it.

If all you play is Counter Strike, go ahead and turn HT off. For everything else (except compute tasks), leave it on. That's literally the only game I've seen that shows consistent gains with HT turned off. A game running on an engine from 2004. Wonder why...
Like I said before, you're living in the past.

He is using Ulleticals FPS benchmark. not running around.
well the POINT is the HT TAKES 10-20w more power and creates more heat. <- THOSE ARE THE PROBLEMS
disabling HT WOULD ENERMOUSLY BENEFIT LAPTOP USERS.
you can't make that fact go away same way you mr. are still a virgin in real life trolling and flaming @ internet.. hopefully you get banned.

you sir are flaming, those are my pictures from my imgur that I took. YOU ARE A SAD SAD MAN.

I will post results and will get you banned from here. you are just the most profound flamer I've met this year.