cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

q code 8 and yellow led

alucke23
Level 7
I put together a C7H, 2700x, Enermax Liqtech II 280 with pump plugged into power supply, 32gb 2400 2x16 ram, asus radeon rx 570, wd 500 WDS500G2X0C m.2 2280 nmve ssd, 2 2tb hdds, and older Rosewill Hive Series 850W Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & CrossFire Ready - Hive-850 power supply. When I power it on i get a q code 8 and a yellow led, and does not continue. I have been googling this, and it seems as if nobody has a straight answer as to what this code means. I hope someone here can give a straight answer. What does it mean? any help would be appreciated.

alucke
8 REPLIES 8

RedSector73
Level 12
Q Code 8 - System Agent initialization after microcode loading.

Basically it means CPU failure but it's cause can be anything.

(1a) Does your Enermax Liqtech II 280 have special backing plate & could it be shorting onto the board ?
(1b) or could it be too tight onto board ?
(2) Do you have from the CPU the RAM in Slots 2 & 4 ?
(3) Do you have power above the CPU on the left top motherboard plugged in (both sides if modular power supply)?
(4) Do you have anything plugged into the CPU fan headers ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Q Code 8 - System Agent initialization after microcode loading.

Basically it means CPU failure but it's cause can be anything.

(1a) Does your Enermax Liqtech II 280 have special backing plate & could it be shorting onto the board ?
(1b) or could it be too tight onto board ?
(2) Do you have from the CPU the RAM in Slots 2 & 4 ?
(3) Do you have power above the CPU on the left top motherboard plugged in (both sides if modular power supply)?
(4) Do you have anything plugged into the CPU fan headers ?

the enermax liqtech II 280 has a backing plate that came with the cooler, nothing special.

ram is in slots 2 & 4

the power to the cpu is plugged in to both connectors on the top left.

the enermax liqtech II 280 radiator cooling fans are plugged in to the cpu fan and the cpu fan opt headers

alucke

try one RAM stick in slot 2 and if that fails try the other stick in slot 2, then repeat in slot 1 for total of four failures, unless you get boot.

back 2 & 4 if does not get boot.

try backing the screws for the cooler off, all half turn and see if it will boot.

Sorry gtg, help again in tomorrow.

i just put each stick of ram in slot 2 and 4 and other slots, still get a yellow led and q code 8. Just for info the ram is G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2400C15D-32GFXR, i used it with my C6H. Could that be the problem?

alucke

What BIOS are you running ? is it greater than 0509 ?

Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults?

While the ram is not on QVL, at this stage no reason to suspect it. my tests before were not aimed at it rather the motherboard.

I suspect motherboard first and cpu second and it maybe RMA issue.

I got it running the enermax liqtech II 280 backplate was backwards. i turned it around, and it booted on first start, with the non QVL ram.

alucke23 wrote:
I got it running the enermax liqtech II 280 backplate was backwards. i turned it around, and it booted on first start, with the non QVL ram.

That would do it, well found. (1a) - didn't know that was possible thanks for sharing the fix 😉

your welcome