cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8

Area_66
Level 11
Well , I don’t know where to start , it’s love and hate. First of all I try it on my Maximus IV Extreme Z, I experience few hang and I have to create a new User Name because the Metro Apps was not working anymore , I will use it only in VM as it’s not yet ready for production. I really like the new spelling corrector in IE 10 ( no need to use Word anymore ( as I do with this post ).

I like the new Task Manager , We can mount ISO now with Windows 8, No need for install Adobe Reader ( and their f*** updates) It’s kind of good to have ll the apps in a start page, all true it’s not enough configurable for a PC users

What I dislike, Well Microsoft is pushing too far, no start button, now shutdown button (well they have one, but it’s quite unfriendly to use) You have to use key shortcuts to avoid the non-friendly layout of everything. It’s not so simple if you are not using Hotmail for your Email.

I understand Microsoft have hard time with the Phone market, their presence in the tablet market is not what they will like to be. But if they insist to keep thing like it is, corporates world will not make the move to Windows 8, Peoples who are not too much computer literate, will not like to use key shortcuts, and they are a lot of peoples in that cases, a lot of peoples who use their PC only for Browse, email and Facebook.

Yesterday when I show Windows 8 to one of my best customer he ask me if it will not be time to switch to Mac, for is business PCs , Why ? ; well is great children’s use iPhone, iPod, iPad and they like it.

So Microsoft ; we don’t want a Phone OS for our desktop, Apple OSX is not a phone OS, So why you want to impose something we don’t want ?

Now for you members here; Windows 8 is the worst thing that can happen to us, Microsoft is in the direction to have their entire software host on the Web, and they want us to rent them. So the next step will be small PC that will log on the web to go get not only the software, but probably the OS too, or at least part of it. So it’s means that US enthusiast who like to build ROG machines, well, they will not work soon.

Let’s talk about the Patriot Act; For me Canadian, it’s means that if my info, my documents are host in a Microsoft server ( in the case of office 360 as example ) Well the US government can have a look at it, since Microsoft is a US company. Sorry Microsoft and US gouv. I want to keep my stuff in my PC. I’m not a treat for anyone, so I don’t need anyone look at my things.
76 REPLIES 76

chrsplmr
Level 18
66.. as you .. i dont know where to start .. thank you as always well thought.
As the 64 versions ... and the 'so many' versions come out we will asimilate.
They will have their way with us.. and we find find the way around them as we
have before .. as you say .. i dont think it is desktopable either.

The law ... this goverment rules by executive order .. no law needed. or Constitution.
It is not the law of the land that is of issue .. it is the empowered abuse .. in that I agree.
but.. if 'probable cause' exists .. hunt every last one of them down and kill them. all of them.
That patriot act was cast long ago brother .. and is held dear today.

But the thugs that weild law as a club against the innocent ..brought our fathers to these
shores (and yours) long long ago...that war is from within.
(the worry is in the 125,000 u.s. internal revenue they hired? while unions got contracts
and everybody else (except the taxable) got food stamps and unemployment...why?)
America is at war brother within Herself, worry not, We, will win .. We, always do.
Who's We? hahahhaa... 'We' the people...yea.. 'They' forgot about US too....hehehe..Nov6th.c.

Kipper
Level 10
Hey 66

Why the need for a spell checker?

It is sad if a man can't find more than one way to spell a word in any language. 😉

UltraNEO_
Level 11
Is it possible to disable Metro permanently? :rolleyes: That's the most useless thing about W8
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

UltraNEO* wrote:
Is it possible to disable Metro permanently? :rolleyes: That's the most useless thing about W8

No M$ don't want we use it without Metro.

In the Developer Version, We was abble to add a start button with a simple register key change, with the Preview, they make sure we can do it again. Even Windows 8 Server, as the Metro and no start button.

The start menu will not be so bad if we can customize it, like make the tiles smallers, differents colors, etc. And it does not need to take a full page on a 24" monitor .... They have to put back the start icon and link it to the start page, and they have to make this start page in a windows not full screen.

Area 66 wrote:
No M$ don't want we use it without Metro.

In the Developer Version, We was abble to add a start button with a simple register key change, with the Preview, they make sure we can do it again. Even Windows 8 Server, as the Metro and no start button.

The start menu will not be so bad if we can customize it, like make the tiles smallers, differents colors, etc. And it does not need to take a full page on a 24" monitor .... They have to put back the start icon and link it to the start page, and they have to make this start page in a windows not full screen.

Guess I'm sticking to W7U till M$ gets over it's fad.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Area 66, that was insightful but you also left out the issues with the DRM. The reason for the push to UEFI BIOS isn't to make it easier to set up the computer although that is a great point. but when Windows 8 launches one of the things installed ether via the installer or by first update is a UEFI code that will lock you into Windows 8 and Microsoft. If you go the Test Drive route after 30day's BIOS will lock down the computer and turn it into a very expensive Paperweight or if for any reason Windows thinks it's Pirated and I've even had that happen with a corrupted Hard Drive it will also Lock Bios down and once again you have a Very Large and Expensive Paperweight. Plus the other down side is once the UEFI Update is installed you can only install Windows 8 or later, no Linux or any other OS possible.

That's the worst part of Windows 8 as I see it at present and also one of the many reasons I refused to get the Crosshair V and purchased the Crosshair IV Formula.

DaemonCantor wrote:
Area 66, that was insightful but you also left out the issues with the DRM. The reason for the push to UEFI BIOS isn't to make it easier to set up the computer although that is a great point. but when Windows 8 launches one of the things installed ether via the installer or by first update is a UEFI code that will lock you into Windows 8 and Microsoft. If you go the Test Drive route after 30day's BIOS will lock down the computer and turn it into a very expensive Paperweight or if for any reason Windows thinks it's Pirated and I've even had that happen with a corrupted Hard Drive it will also Lock Bios down and once again you have a Very Large and Expensive Paperweight. Plus the other down side is once the UEFI Update is installed you can only install Windows 8 or later, no Linux or any other OS possible.

That's the worst part of Windows 8 as I see it at present and also one of the many reasons I refused to get the Crosshair V and purchased the Crosshair IV Formula.

Are you serious, I hear that M$ will be able to deactivate a virus but this…. So if for whatever reason they make a mistake, they brick our PC ….. F..K M$ , I will not install Windows 8 in any of my PC, too much is too much

" but UEFI could also be used to block other operating systems, such as Linux, from being installed."

Area_66
Level 11
The Metro app for read mail is amazing. If you place it on a second monitor like in my pic , you can read it at the same time you do other work, you don't need to double click as it's big and easy to read

Area 66 wrote:
The Metro app for read mail is amazing. If you place it on a second monitor like in my pic , you can read it at the same time you do other work, you don't need to double click as it's big and easy to read

Interesting.... However, like my SMS's I don't check my emails all that often, perhaps once a fortnight - if they're lucky. If someone wants me, they better learn to call or just forget about it.