cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a rog crosshair vi hero and the board can't get to 1 gig internet

skellattarr
Level 10
I just updated my internet speed to 1 gig and my fastest speed I can get is 540mg down and 600 up even connected the ethernet wire direct in the mobo still the same. Does anyone have any ideas?
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case
13 REPLIES 13

Sigtran
Level 10
skellattarr wrote:
I just updated my internet speed to 1 gig and my fastest speed I can get is 540mg down and 600 up even connected the ethernet wire direct in the mobo still the same. Does anyone have any ideas?

1. Does your router has some sort of built-in "speed-test" so you can verify connection is actually capable of 1gig?
2. If not, have you tried with some other device to verify speed, for example with some fast laptop?
3. Maybe try to reinstall driver - Intel® I211-AT, Gigabit LAN Controller and CH6 is for sure capable 900mbit+ transfers
4. Is your cable at least CAT6?

Sigtran wrote:
1. Does your router has some sort of built-in "speed-test" so you can verify connection is actually capable of 1gig?
2. If not, have you tried with some other device to verify speed, for example with some fast laptop?
3. Maybe try to reinstall driver - Intel® I211-AT, Gigabit LAN Controller and CH6 is for sure capable 900mbit+ transfers
4. Is your cable at least CAT6?

when the frontier guy was here he tested with his device and it was getting 940mg so the speed is there just that the nic on mobo can't reach that speed and yes i updated the driver no luck
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

skellattarr wrote:
when the frontier guy was here he tested with his device and it was getting 940mg so the speed is there just that the nic on mobo can't reach that speed and yes i updated the driver no luck

What do you mean his "device", did he test his own router or the router that you are using?
Also was he testing with the same cable you have connected?
To be able to achieve a 1gbps ethernet connection, your router needs to support LAN speeds of 1gbps and secondly your cable should be at least CAT5e and above.

skellattarr
Level 10
he hooks some weird device up to my router then checked the speed with his phone and my router is a Netgear ac1750 r6400. I do have a tech from frontier coming on the 26 to check it again to see if they can get it to work if they can't then I'm going to take their 500mg deal
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

liakou
Level 7
Alright, your equipment is capable of Gigabit ethernet. What is left is the cable going to your PC. On the cable you can find the type written all along it. Should be CAT5e +.
Another thing, if your cable is proper, you can check in Netgear's settings to see if there is any option for the port speed and set it manually.

skellattarr
Level 10
the cable is a cat6 would that be ok and ill try looking in my router thanks for feedback maybe you can give me some pointers about setting my router I'm new to all this network stuff
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

liakou
Level 7
Yes, the cable is alright.
Try this, hover over My computer and right click, choose Properties then click on the Device Manager and go to "Network adapters" and double click on "Intel I211" adapter.
On the new window click the "Advanced" tab and scroll down to "Speed & Duplex". This will probably be set to Auto negotiation, so change it to "1 Gbps Full duplex" and click OK.
To see the speed your PC is connected with your router, go to Windows settings main page, click on Internet and Networks and then "Change adapter settings". You'll see a device called Ethernet, double click on it and see what is reported on "Speed". If you see 1Gbit/sec then you're good.

liakou wrote:
Yes, the cable is alright.
Try this, hover over My computer and right click, choose Properties then click on the Device Manager and go to "Network adapters" and double click on "Intel I211" adapter.
On the new window click the "Advanced" tab and scroll down to "Speed & Duplex". This will probably be set to Auto negotiation, so change it to "1 Gbps Full duplex" and click OK.
To see the speed your PC is connected with your router, go to Windows settings main page, click on Internet and Networks and then "Change adapter settings". You'll see a device called Ethernet, double click on it and see what is reported on "Speed". If you see 1Gbit/sec then you're good.

I did every thing you told me but still the same https://www.speedtest.net/result/8790992376
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

Is your modem provisioned correctly by your internet provider? Make sure you have the appropriate number of up and down channels connected/bonded or it won't run at the rated speed you paid for. Even improperly connected upload channels will result in lower speeds.