cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the dreaded 'no operating system found' error

JohnGalt
Level 7
Got this error (may have been worded a bit differently) earlier today....a google search will tell you to go thru the process of running your Windows installation media , which at the time I did NOT have...I had to download it onto a flash drive on my work laptop, but i digress.....so, websearches will all seem to tell you that is the method to try to recover from this error. There are typically 3 reasons given, 1. OS drive hardware failure 2. Corrupt Master Boot Record 3. BIOS settings incorrect. I have a new Rog Strix 450-F about 3 weeks ago. It has run great and a couple weeks ago, tried overclocking to where all cores are steady at 4.0 ghz. I will be the first to admit I'm not entirely sure what combination or single setting I tweaked to get it that way, but subsequent reboots did show on POST ' Overclocked 8%' ...That seemed liked a nice , safe low amount , which also seemed to keep the speed constant at 4ghz per core. It ran great that way for a weeks worth of powering on and off and heavy useage. Today , it froze and I got that dread error I mentioned. I figured it was the BIOS because I did see my drive the OS is installed present in the boot menu. But the BIOS was acting weird. The mouse would periodically freeze very briefly and when I tried making small changes in the boot order, the BIOS would tell 'no changes have been made!?) ....so in a last ditch attempt, I selected the option to boot to words to the effect of the default settings. That FINALLY worked....Now I'm left scratching my head exactly what the BIOS apparently didn't like one week into it's settings that had been working just fine. Gotta love computers! LOL
11 REPLIES 11

RedSector73
Level 12
What CPU are you running ?

Ryzen 3000 series your better off leaving in auto and overclocking the ram.

RedSector73 wrote:
What CPU are you running ?

Ryzen 3000 series your better off leaving in auto and overclocking the ram.

It's a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X ....I did reset everything to default and auto...it worked fine but in the middle of a game, same thing! It froze up and again gave the message 'no operating system found , try disconnecting unused drives etc etc'....This is bizarre...This time, since everything is already default, I tried clicking directly on my C: drive to boot up on the boot menu in the Asus BIOS....it's a 250 gig PNY SSD, and lo and behold it works.....for now! Utterly bizarre behavior...I wonder ....does the BIOS have a log I could check to see what's going on? Windows very briefly give me that QR code about 10 seconds after the lock-up , but it doesn't stay onscreen long enough to see what it is before rebooting to the 'no operating system found' error....and it probably wouldn't be helpful anyway since this problem exists outside of windows.......Could this possibly be a known bug with this ASUS BIOS version? I know of the three reasons for that error, I've isolated it to NOT the OS drive and NOT the MBR...so that leaves ASUS's's's BIOS lol.

It just did it a 3rd and now 4th time....I went ahead and downloaded the latest BIOS version from October...I sure hope this fixes what's ailing my new system.

It would really help if gave the actual specifications of your system.

What is your boot drive / OS actually on ?

RedSector73 wrote:
It would really help if gave the actual specifications of your system.

What is your boot drive / OS actually on ?

Ok, ...btw, I did mention the boot drive, a PNY 250 gig SSD on which Windows 10 pro is installed...the rest:

Asus Rog Strix 450-F mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X cpu, no longer overclocked for troubleshooting purposes, temp after 2 hrs moderate use , around 52C
Corsair 3000 16 gig DD4 memory
October 2019 version of the BIOS now flashed, set to 'default' settings for troubleshooting purposes
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface
Power cooler RX 570 Radeon video card, untweaked
Sabrent external 7 port USB hub
PNY 250 gig SSD
internal WD 250 gig HD in removeable ATA bay
external WD 1 TB USB HD
Cynex internal card reader
700 watt power supply, name escapes me
Azio keyboard
Logitech Revolution mouse
M-Audio Keystation MIDI keyboard
Yamaha HS-8 studio monitors
Motorola Surfboard gateway
Viotek GN34NC ultra-wide monitor running native resolution 3444 X 1444

the mobo, video card, memory , monitor and cpu were all bought new about a month ago now.

Sorry I missed that. Full specification allows me to see your computer, which helps me decided on what may be the issue and what isn't likely to be the issue. Thankyou.

PNY 250 gig SSD, try replacing the Sata and Power cables with another set and see how it goes.

RedSector73 wrote:
Sorry I missed that. Full specification allows me to see your computer, which helps me decided on what may be the issue and what isn't likely to be the issue. Thankyou.

PNY 250 gig SSD, try replacing the Sata and Power cables with another set and see how it goes.

well, it did it again...so I guess that might rule out the BIOS...after getting the message again, I went into the BIOS and once again saw the PNY SSD drive...my boot drive listed, so clicked on it and it booted up normally..so I'm stumped at this point....I will try some new cables and see if that changes things...the randomness of it and how the issue comes and goes is puzzling...I'll keep at it though, I never give up. 🙂

Ok, I am noticing that whenever I have a freeze-up and then the inevitable 'no drive with an OS found ..etc,etc' error...and then go back to the BIOS, the boot drive...the PNY SSD 250 gig drive, is NOT listed as an option in the drop down list of the boot order....it IS there however, in the section right below that, the 'boot over-ride' section...and clicking it there and directly booting to it, has worked every time....what is this telling me?

replace the power and sata cables ?