cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best order to Install motherboard drivers/software Maximus Xl Hero

cadillacdan
Level 7
I finished my second build with Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi. The bios is 1105, which I don’t think I need to update. The memory and M.2 drive show up in BIOS and now I'm getting ready to install Windows 10 64bit and all necessary drivers. Once Windows 10 and drivers are taken care of then I will install graphics card/drivers.

What would be the best order in which one should install the drivers? For example, should the motherboard chipset drivers be the first to install, followed by the SATA driver, Video card driver, etc.

Do I need to install Intel ME? From research it’s not needed or doesn’t matter since Windows 10 will install ME regardless.
Thanks for any advice.
3 REPLIES 3

Vlada011
Level 10
Next time you follow this order... prepare drivers and disable internet because they could start update drivers automatic.

Chipset driver
Intel IME if you need
Network driver
Wi-fi and Bluetooth
Sata or M.2 drivers
display driver
driver for dedicate sound card
Microsoft Visual C++ package 23 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 x32 and x64.
You can download packages online before Windows Installation

Then connect to internet and update DirectX with dxwebsetup.exe
Windows will update Microsoft Visual C++ if need with newer version, install NetFrameworks, etc...

Thanks for the help. I never thought of installing Windows 10 without a internet connection. That was good idea.

Splash1
Level 7
Do some of these drivers require Microsoft updates before installing them? In Mikes unboxing on YouTube(See link below), Mike says it's best to install Windows offline and then then plug in to update after account is made. Installing Updates allows the system to patch up, reboot and then install drivers.
https://youtu.be/FMSk7n7yVbE?t=835

Thoughts appreciated as I'm currently trying to Optimize Maximus Hero VIII + Win10 instal.
MoBo: Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / LGA1151
CPU: i7 6700K Skylake Quad-Core. - 4.2GHz / Noctua NH-D15
Mem: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - DDR4 2666MHz
GrafixCard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1
Storage 1: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB
Storage 2: TBA
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80 Plus Platinum 1000W
Case: Lian Li LanCool II Mesh RGB

Gigabyte M32Q 31.5" QHD 170Hz 0.8ms IPS Gaming Monitor
SteelSeries Apex Pro RGB Mech Keyboards
Razer Basilisk V3 Gaming Mouse