cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chipset fan control for ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

waynerb64
Level 7
I am about to order the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) as it looks like the best choice for me but I am concerned about the lifetime of the chipset fan. I run my PCs 24/7 so the 60K hours it's rated at will happen well before I plan to stop using this MB.

I saw in another post that two of the Asus 570 MBs got a BIOS update for controlling the chipset fan speeds. I was wondering if there has been any news on this for the Hero board or if we could get a response from ASUS on if/when they will provide this for the Hero.

My logic is if it's not running 24/7 it will last a lot longer.

Separately is there any way to put an aftermarket chipset cooler on this in the event the fan does fail, or just to reduce noise levels if there was a liquid cooled solution?
3 REPLIES 3

waynerb64
Level 7
I just found this in the bios updates history:

Version 0803
2019/08/0614.76 MBytes
ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO BIOS 0803
1.Updated AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.3 patch ABB
2.Optimized the chipset fan profile. The new profile allows the chipset fan to stop during idle or when temperature is low.

Has anyone got this update and noticed better fan behavior?

I'm fully up-to-date on my Crosshair VIII Hero, but I've found no option in the BIOS to modify the chipset fan curve at all. Plus, every time I look at its status in HWInfo, it's spinning madly away at about 3,000 RPM (at idle it seems to stay around 63 C). Of course, it's quiet enough in my case that I don't hear it at all. So, I really wouldn't notice if it stopped. But, I don't think it does.

flyinion
Level 12
I've never seen mine stop, latest BIOS on the non-wifi Hero. Always spinning at 1000-1500rpm at about 58-59C. Still, 60K hours is nearly 7 years. Pretty sure I won't be using this system still in 7 years. You could definitely rig something aftermarket up. Der8auer did just that when testing some stuff in the early days. Big ugly passive heatsink on it.