cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Stuck in x8 ONLY on PCIEX16_1

daddy_4rime
Level 7
I've recently updated BIOS to 1302 because GPU was running at x8 in the PCIEX16_1 slot. After update BIOS, GPU-Z and CPU-Z all still show that it runs PCI-E 3.0 @ x8. Running GPU-Z render test or UNIGINE benchmarks doesn't help. It still shows PCI 3.0 @ x8. Clearing CMOS, reseating GPU didn't help. Running BIOS at optimized defaults didn't help. I'm running out of options here. Important to note that I do not have anything else plugged into the PCIEX16_2 or _3 slots.

Here are my specs:

BIOS:1302
OC'ed? No.
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
AIO: Thermaltake RIING 360 RGB
RAM: Trident G. Skill RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
M.2_1 Slot NVMe (Boot): Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280
M.2_2 Slot NVMe (Games): Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280
SATA_1- Used, WD Black 1TB
SATA_2 - Used, WD Black 1TB
SATA_3 - Used, Toshiba X300 5TB
GPU: EVGA SC2 Hybrid GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W

Thank you for your help!
21 REPLIES 21

idahosurge
Level 7
I had this happen once after I delidded a CPU. Somehow I damaged the CPU.

Did your GPU ever run at 16x? If it did then did you delid your CPU after you saw the GPU run at 16x?

idahosurge wrote:
I had this happen once after I delidded a CPU. Somehow I damaged the CPU.

Did your GPU ever run at 16x? If it did then did you delid your CPU after you saw the GPU run at 16x?

I have never seen it run at x16 and the CPU is not delidded.

Also you are using alot of pcie lanes already :

Maybe you just saturate them all.

*I am not sure but the problem might be with you secondary m.2 drive that you use for games. If you have that running in x4 mode maybe there's not enough left for the GPU. See if you can run it in x2 mode, I don't think that will make any difference from game loading point anyhow.

ninezerofive wrote:
Also you are using alot of pcie lanes already :

Maybe you just saturate them all.

*I am not sure but the problem might be with you secondary m.2 drive that you use for games. If you have that running in x4 mode maybe there's not enough left for the GPU. See if you can run it in x2 mode, I don't think that will make any difference from game loading point anyhow.

Thank you for replying, unfortunately I do not know where to set the speed of this. Checked everywhere and cannot find that setting. Any idea?

I have removed the M.2_2 drive and reset all bios settings to default and the GPU is still saying its x8 for the link speed. So no change. I do not believe that the M.2 slots are going through the CPU lanes they are going through the Chipset which has 8 lanes. So we should have 16 lanes for the CPU and 8 lanes for the Z390 chipset. It seems to me that there is an issue with the settings or the mobo itself

ninezerofive
Level 10
There's settings in bios to adjust the speeds for PCIe lanes. Try to adjust them manually.

ninezerofive wrote:
There's settings in bios to adjust the speeds for PCIe lanes. Try to adjust them manually.

Thanks for your reply.

I have gone through every advanced tab and page in the bios and cannot see where the link speed can be adjusted. I can change the type of connection; Auto, Gen1,Gen2, Gen3 but not the speed.

Can you point me to the right spot?

ninezerofive
Level 10

ninezerofive
Level 10
Watch also this, maybe it helps.