cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zenith II Extreme TRX40

Vlada011
Level 10
Beutifull motherboard.
Heatsink Cover is from Aluminum and that's very good material after copper for heatsink.
More aluminium less carbon steel is always recommended.

Zenith II encourage enthusiasts to enter in world of Threadripper, even if they like Intel.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Zenith-II-Extreme/

Silver part of shield is amzing. I like that detail very much.
My favorite combination for PC hardware is black-silver.
Previous motherboards for Threadripper 1 and 2 are excellent, really no objections...
but Zenith II is best moment for AMD Processors.
Perfect board for people to switch on AMD.

Usually I spent all day looking on motherboard details before installation.
Later when everything is inside case it's time for examination of box and rest of accessories.

37 REPLIES 37

DooRules
Level 10
Is there a memory QVL yet for this mobo?

Been looking and cannot find it,,,thanks
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

DooRules
Level 10
All good, found it.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

I would like to know if the F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN works on this Mainboard it is neither tested by Gskill nor Asus, as it is becoming rare to come by i ordered this kit in hope that it will work well .. It is Samsung B-die 4x16GB 3600Mhz Dual rank (64GB total), but from what I've seen on the Qvl list Samsung B-die is well Supported by Amd and Asus so i hope this works. (It is certified for all Ryzen 3000 series CPU's), Threadripper 3970X is a 3000 Series Cpu and the memory controller should be identical only difference is a Quad channel controller i assume.

Can someone from Asus comment on this ? can it be tested ??

I mailed Gskill about this but they only replied with recommending me to use the Gskill Dram Configurator , i call that a useless reply as i already did that of course and it is not up to date.

Hivemind wrote:
I would like to know if the F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN works on this Mainboard it is neither tested by Gskill nor Asus, as it is becoming rare to come by i ordered this kit in hope that it will work well .. It is Samsung B-die 4x16GB 3600Mhz Dual rank (64GB total), but from what I've seen on the Qvl list Samsung B-die is well Supported by Amd and Asus so i hope this works. (It is certified for all Ryzen 3000 series CPU's), Threadripper 3970X is a 3000 Series Cpu and the memory controller should be identical only difference is a Quad channel controller i assume.

Can someone from Asus comment on this ? can it be tested ??

I mailed Gskill about this but they only replied with recommending me to use the Gskill Dram Configurator , i call that a useless reply as i already did that of course and it is not up to date.

Hello,

The best advice anyone can give you is that if the kit is not on the memory vendor or ASUS QVL, test it and find out. Every individual CPU is different. Memory support overall on Gen3 is solid, but some manual tuning may be required with 16GB modules at those speeds in an 8 DIMM board, due to the fact the memory kit was validated for 4 DIMM.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hello,

The best advice anyone can give you is that if the kit is not on the memory vendor or ASUS QVL, test it and find out. Every individual CPU is different. Memory support overall on Gen3 is solid, but some manual tuning may be required with 16GB modules at those speeds in an 8 DIMM board, due to the fact the memory kit was validated for 4 DIMM.

Well got the system Running @ 3600mhz 16.16.16.36. 1T @ 1.35V, I have not benched the ** out of it but it seems to run fine @ D.o.c.p.(Soc voltage from 0.8V to 1.080V Auto setting) but what i have read from the Gskill forum it seems that not all Threadrippers cpu's can handle this setting that's why it's not on the Qvl list.. so if you want to try it you have to be a bit lucky in getting a strong Memory controller..

Maybe it is only a small batch of Threadripper cpu's that can't handle it ? i got no numbers just a hunch.

The instruction say that I can use both an 8 pin EPS and a 4 pin EPS. Is that going to be sufficient for a 3970X and a 2080 Ti? When should you go to two 8-poin EPS connection plus a 6 pin PCIE?

zl1_ghost wrote:
The instruction say that I can use both an 8 pin EPS and a 4 pin EPS. Is that going to be sufficient for a 3970X and a 2080 Ti? When should you go to two 8-poin EPS connection plus a 6 pin PCIE?

Just got this MB and am waiting for my 3970X. Have the same question regarding the power connections. Will connect both 8 pin EPS but the manual lists the 6 pin as an EPS connector not a PCIE. Which do I use and when do I need it?

blaine wrote:
Just got this MB and am waiting for my 3970X. Have the same question regarding the power connections. Will connect both 8 pin EPS but the manual lists the 6 pin as an EPS connector not a PCIE. Which do I use and when do I need it?

I just plugged a PcIe power cable on it and it works just fine, i wouldn't know any other Eps cable that is just 6 pins so it has to be a pcie cable .

IvoSilva
Level 7
The pinout and format is indeed for a PCIe 6-Pin and not an EPS 6-Pin. 6-Pin EPS connectors do exist (mostly proprietary implementations). %

The manual is lacking big time, it does not even mention if the 6-pin should be connected or not, only the two 8-PIN EPS and the 4 pin molex at the bottom.

If I remember correctly, previously on the ASUS X99-M motherboard this same situation appeared, and I guess Asus is not very interested in correcting or at least clarifying the manuals. Sill calls this a 6-Pin EATX... At least mention that a 6-pin PCIe should be used and in what situations it should or not be plugged in.