cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backlight for LED screen on G751JT-DH72

mprefect
Level 7
So first of all, I really need to replace my battery. That was something I was planning on doing already. I just knocked out the cable and it powered off in a matter of seconds despite displaying 84% before AND just now. However, after an international return trip (in my backpack), the backlight on my screen sometimes doesn't work. This is an issue I'm more than a little familiar with since the first laptop I bought came with a faulty one. I sent it to be repaired, it didn't take and I just got a second of the same model. I can see the screen with a flashlight, so that's what's going on.
A bit of googling came up with this:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/379051/Computer+screen+blank+out#answer530620
"It appears that the battery is failing and needs to be replaced. The laptop’s power management system is prioritising the power distribution in the laptop and probably turning off the backlight to the display to ensure that other functions are still being maintained."
Now, I'm not sure if I entirely believe it.

Since I'm going to have to open up the laptop and everything, I might as well replace the LED backlight somehow at the same time if it's something I should probably do. Sometimes the backlight just starts working after the computer is running for a bit without me touching it in any way, sometimes I flip over the laptop to check the model number and it starts working again; so I feel like it could be a cable that's knocked slightly loose. Given the time involved in opening/closing, is there a bulb or backlight inverter board or something I could just order? I can't seem to find parts for/information on the backlight inverter board for this laptop.

Most of the google results I get are littered with keyboard backlight results so I have to just hope someone out there on these forums can give me advice. Thanks for your time!
2 REPLIES 2

jdfrench3
Level 12
Replace your battery. While in there remove the display cable, clean the connectors, and then reconnect the cable. Assemble the entire laptop and test.

If the problem persists then look into replacing the display cable or perhaps even the display itself.

Looks like you should also update your BIOS to the latest version. (213) There was some improvements in the 210 version and beyond.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

mprefect
Level 7
Thanks for the advice! I updated bios to 213 yesterday... maybe that has helped and I just haven't noticed.
I'll do the screen as needed then.