cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi ASUS do you plan to fix the onboard Audio codec with a BIOS fix?

XYchromosone
Level 10
I for one can confirm after now using 2 brand new Maximus XI mobos, a Code and an Extreme, which both show the exact problem with Audio popping, crackling and skipping etc, that this is not an isolated case. Especially with all the other members disclosing the same news with their Maximus XI mobos. My question is simply are the engineers working on a fix if it can be done with a BIOS update, or if there's anything at all in the works to fix this issue?

I can not see me doing 2 RMA's which was suggested, because the chances of fixing this is minus 1. Regarding a replacement, I am not comfortable with, unless the mobos have been tested before shipped to guarantee that THOSE mobos won't suffer the same issue.

I would think that knowing how many generation Realtek have been using the similar codec it should be matured enough to have no such issues. Unless the problem totally lies with ASUS not designing the circuitry around the chip well enough. But I am not looking to blame anyone really, just looking for the truth, that is simple.
28 REPLIES 28

Squall_Rinoa89
Level 8
Honestly... they might but your most likely better off buying an PCI-E sound card and using that. I'm using my Creative Sound Blaster Core 3D from forever ago. Would be faster to do that then to mess with the whole onboard audio.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
I thought it was a Windows 10 1903 problem?

XYchromosone
Level 10
@Squall_Rinoa89 I thought of that and I will most likely have to go that rout, because I plan on doing AV production and a decent ADC is a must. I was using an Echo Media PCI card for many years which served me well. However, my point is based on principle, I paid a premium price for broken hardware,, which I think needs to be fixed.

@Enderwiggin03 I wish it was a windows thing however the problem also happens in Ubuntu, so one would conclude it is a hardware problem, or an IRQ ????? or????? This is why engineers really need to take a good look at this problem

mcmarky
Level 8
Audio popping and crackles can be solved by disabling the fast boot/start of windows 10 under energy options.

I thought in the past that the ASUS onboard audio with SS3 would be a very good solution and I played with it 2 years. Last week, just for fun, I connected my old Sound Blaster RECON 3D USB and I couldn't believe that this old thing sounds much better than the onboard sound. In the games I really locate the enemies much clearer again, esp. with enabled scout mode.

I will never look for a good onboard sound solution, because every dedicated part is still so much better. I will use 15% discount for a Sound Blaster AE-7 and get happy.

mcmarky wrote:
Audio popping and crackles can be solved by disabling the fast boot/start of windows 10 under energy options.

I thought in the past that the ASUS onboard audio with SS3 would be a very good solution and I played with it 2 years. Last week, just for fun, I connected my old Sound Blaster RECON 3D USB and I couldn't believe that this old thing sounds much better than the onboard sound. In the games I really locate the enemies much clearer again, esp. with enabled scout mode.

I will never look for a good onboard sound solution, because every dedicated part is still so much better. I will use 15% discount for a Sound Blaster AE-7 and get happy.

Yeah no... This doesn't fix anything. The rear Audio port is trash, I plug my speakers into the mic port on the front and everything is fine. If I use the rear port it crackles and pops and this just started happening on my maximux x code, a motherboard I paid 350 dollars for. This is a joke. I'll never buy asus products again. Had nothing but issues with multiple products from them.

JonRedcorn wrote:
Yeah no... This doesn't fix anything. The rear Audio port is trash, I plug my speakers into the mic port on the front and everything is fine. If I use the rear port it crackles and pops and this just started happening on my maximux x code, a motherboard I paid 350 dollars for. This is a joke. I'll never buy asus products again. Had nothing but issues with multiple products from them.

If that doesn't help, just try all the things posted in this thread. That helps me to solve the crackles.

For me, SB Recon3D produces even much better sound than this onboard chip. Going on for SB AE-7.

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
Z370 x hero only front panel pops for me rear panel mobile audio is just fine for me . I dont use any front panel audio.

Rear panel audio is just fine on my z370 x hero and z 270
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

Just installed the AE-9 on my Code X. Yeah, no comparison. Much much better, make my HD-650 cans sound great!

bass junkie xl wrote:
Z370 x hero only front panel pops for me rear panel mobile audio is just fine for me . I dont use any front panel audio.

Rear panel audio is just fine on my z370 x hero and z 270

That makes me wonder if it's only happening on the case jacks, if it's the quality of the case audio cable shielding or length being too long or both?