cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating BIOS with new CPU (Not supported BIOS level)

martinav
Level 7
Ok, heres the deal. Probably an old quesiton that I know the answer. But, here are the specifics.

I have a WS x299 SAGE Workstation motherboard with 0905 BIOS.

I will have a new i9-10900x CPU. This is only supported at 2002 BIOS.

Can I update bios, or use a USB flash method without having to find an older CPU supported at 0905?

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

BigJohnny
Level 13
You can flash the BIOS with an empty socket and just power to the board. Dont even need ram or GPU. PSU on (dont try tol start machine), BIOS loaded onto suitable USB drive and named correctly with that and only that on the USB stick. Not sure what the naming is for the sage but example the Rampage VI Extreme has to be named R6E.CAP. I think its WSXTG.CAP for you but could be wrong. The rest are easy to figure out but that one is a bit different.
Then just put the USB stick in the USB port on the I/O labeled BIOS then press and hold the BIOS flashback button until it starts flashing then let go and it will start the flash. Takes a minute or two. If it flashes a few times then quits there is an issue like wrong name, bad file or plugged into the wrong port.

thanks for the info but I wanted to ask:

if the bios is old and I mount a new processor not supported. Does the processor damage, or burns out?

thanks

BigJohnny wrote:
You can flash the BIOS with an empty socket and just power to the board. Dont even need ram or GPU. PSU on (dont try tol start machine), BIOS loaded onto suitable USB drive and named correctly with that and only that on the USB stick. Not sure what the naming is for the sage but example the Rampage VI Extreme has to be named R6E.CAP. I think its WSXTG.CAP for you but could be wrong. The rest are easy to figure out but that one is a bit different.
Then just put the USB stick in the USB port on the I/O labeled BIOS then press and hold the BIOS flashback button until it starts flashing then let go and it will start the flash. Takes a minute or two. If it flashes a few times then quits there is an issue like wrong name, bad file or plugged into the wrong port.

Hey,

I would like to know the answer to this too.

Found a good deal on a used Z370 e-gaming board. But the seller won't do a BIOS update and doesn't know if it will work with a 9th gen as is.

Say if it doesn't have the correct BIOS version to support 9th gen, can I still put in a 9th gen CPU and boot into the BIOS to do the update? Or no?

Another question - do Z370 boards come with the latest BIOS at the time of production?

BigJohnny wrote:

I think this feature is only supported on some of the premium boards - Rampage, Hero, Maximus, etc. Most boards don't have it. Not sure if the Sage has this feature. If it does then there will be a specific USB port on the rear panel labelled something like 'BIOS Flashback', hard to miss. At least that's how it works with my MSI Titanium MPOWER board.

working for: WS X299 SAGE/10G

note: if the cpu is not supported by the bios, the cpu is not damaged. Simply the pc turns on but the motherboard generates an error code and not see signal vga.
So you need to update the bios without removing the cpu.

correct sequence different from that stated in the manual:
1) format small pendrive usb2 possible or usb3 with fat32 and format with windows
2) copy bios on pendrive and rename file as described in the manual including capital letters
3) insert pendrine on usb greeen for flashbios
4) power on psu but not poweron motherboard
5) press button for flashbios and press for 3 4 5 sec until the led starts flashing
6) as soon as the LED flashes, remove your finger from the button
7) the led now flashes many times, slowly quickly slowly is not important, as it is not important how many times it flashes.
😎 the led can flash for 2 minutes but also for 5 minutes. It depends on the pendrive
9) Only when LED it is off: the procedure is finished.
10) press power button and motherboard start. The motherboard turns on but before the vga signal arrives it takes many 2or5 minutes and the motherboard could turn on and off by itself. Don't touch anything and wait.
11) If after 5 minutes that the motherboard is turned on and no bios videos are see. Or there is always the same error code before updating the bios = it means that something went wrong.