cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor won't wake up from sleep mode.

Darli328
Level 7
New to posting and the title pretty much sums it up. When trying to wake up my computer with my mouse or keyboard the computer turns on and the monitor turns on with a blank/black screen but after a few seconds it says "no display port detected" or something to that effect. Which at this point I have to restart my PC and then the monitor runs normally. Unfortunately this issue seems to have started up a few weeks ago. I've had this monitor for around 3 to 4 years, and the rest of the system for about 1 year. I've tried searching google and other forums with no luck. I'll post what I've already tried to fix it with no luck and my system specs below. Any thoughts, tips, advice would be helpful. Thanks

In the ASUS Monitor settings I've unchecked DisplayPort Deep sleep (turned it off)
Turned off Windows Fast Startup
Have my Windows 10 power settings set to High performance
Updated all drivers and windows updates

I'm using the displayport cable that came with the monitor but I've ordered a new cable and will try that. I currently don't have another monitor I could test to see if it's a faulty monitor.

Monitor ASUS PG279Q (not overclocked, set at 144hz 1440p, OD set to normal, connected via displayport)
Intel I7 8700k
EVGA Z390 FTW
EVGA RTX 2070
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mghz 32GB (4 8BG sticks installed)
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (OS installed here)
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
EVGA Supernova G3 1000W PSU
Windows 10 Pro

Other things to note
ACPI Sleep State is set to S3 Only (Suspend RAM)
Restore AC Power Loss is set to Last State
I have the latest EVGA Z390 FTW BIOS installed
I have the latest driver for the PG279Q (Version 1.0 I believe) but firmware wise I don't know. If I had to guess it's not up to date and is the previous version, but from my research the only way to update the firmware is to mail the monitor into ASUS. I'd consider that a last resort at this point.
I have tried unplugging the monitor (both power and displayport) with no luck. I've even unplugged the displayport and plugged it into a different port on the graphics card with no luck. I could try to use an HDMI cable to see if that works but ultimately I want to use displayport and switching to HDMI isn't really a solution for me.
I'm not sure if this happened after a windows update or an nvidia update since I don't use sleep mode that often, but this could of happened that way.
4 REPLIES 4

Darli328
Level 7
Also, I looked around my windows event viewer, reliability monitor, and found a bunch of stuff that is concerning me.

Event Viewer has some warnings and critical events, and errors under windows log then the system tab. I'll post a few below.

There's a handful of the system warnings for DistributedCOM, which I'm not really sure what this is for without researching it.

There's an Error event for BugCheck and under the general tab says "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000a0 (0x0000000000000608, 0xffffb803cd446528, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 43c80467-9c02-434f-aed1-9a51caf754c2."

There's a critical event for Kernel-Power. Under the general tab says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

There's an Error for volmgr. Under general says "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

Another Error EventLog. And, under general says "The previous system shutdown at 10:56:09 AM on ‎12/‎1/‎2019 was unexpected."

Another Error Kernel-Boot. And, under general says "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001."

Under the reliability monitor there is 9 critical events, most of which are windows was not shutdown properly, 2 are windows has stopped working, and 2 are shutdown unexpectedly.

To be completely honest the event viewer and reliability monitor are a bit beyond my knowledge of windows and I'm not sure what all these mean. But, I would guess some of them are because I have to hit the restart button on my computer when the monitor wouldn't wake up.

I ended up using the windbg to read the dump file. The dump file led me to some sort of an error with my m.2 drives. Long story endless apparently 1 Samsung 970 M.2 Evo SSDs works fine with driver verson 3.0 however when you add a second Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drive there is a bug with sleep mode using the driver 3.0. I had 1 500gb Samsung 970 Evo and about a month or so ago I added a second 1TB Samsung 970 Evo but for me I didn't noticed the issue to a little while after adding the second drive. When updating the drivers through windows it would say I have the most up to date driver. However going to the Samsung web site there is a newer version 3.2 which has so far solved my issue.

After updating both of my Samsung 970 Evo's driver to version 3.2 my sleep mode issues seems to be resolved.
I don't think I would of stumbled across this fix without using windbg to read the dump files.

Darli328 wrote:
I ended up using the windbg to read the dump file. The dump file led me to some sort of an error with my m.2 drives. Long story endless apparently 1 Samsung 970 M.2 Evo SSDs works fine with driver verson 3.0 however when you add a second Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drive there is a bug with sleep mode using the driver 3.0. I had 1 500gb Samsung 970 Evo and about a month or so ago I added a second 1TB Samsung 970 Evo but for me I didn't noticed the issue to a little while after adding the second drive. When updating the drivers through windows it would say I have the most up to date driver. However going to the Samsung web site there is a newer version 3.2 which has so far solved my issue.

After updating both of my Samsung 970 Evo's driver to version 3.2 my sleep mode issues seems to be resolved.
I don't think I would of stumbled across this fix without using windbg to read the dump files.

Hey.
I have the same issue with a tuf gaming vg27aq,and i have that samsund drive.I tried to find the 3.2 samsung driver but can only find the 3.0.
Any ideas?
thanks.

upload the memory.dmp files to google drive , and share the link for downloading .
i analysis the mmeory dump files for the root cause.

i suspected graphics device drivers of few files are corrupted .

did your monitor is connected on buildin intel graphics card or nvidia card .

the latest intel graphics dch based driver is 7870 ans nvidia is 442.59
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754