cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX502GW Ram frequency issue - solved

Feldt
Level 7
Hello all ROGers

I've recently got my GX502GW and as you may know it has 16GB of ram soldered into the motherboard and only just one empty slot provided, so I've decided to install an extra 16Gb just to get the benefits of dual channel ram.

This is the ram I have installed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7K4DV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now this is the part where it gets a bit confusing for me.
I'm currently using CPU-Z to check whether it is working or not, which it is but the DRAM frequency is only at 1196Mhz which corresponds to 2400Mhz only?
Clicking into the SPD page of CPU-Z even says that the max bandwidth of my new ram is DDR4-2666 (1333Mhz)
I made sure to check that the built in ram was running at 1333 and also checked that the new ram is at the same capacity and frequency, so why is it now running at 2400 instead of 2666?

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and is there a fix for it?
Thanks everybody.
8 REPLIES 8

jdfrench3
Level 12
The link you provided is for 2400MHz memory.

Brand Name HyperX
Series KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY CORP.
Item model number HX424S14IB/16
RAM SDRAM PC66
Memory Speed 2400 MHz

Check your model number, if HX424S141B/16, then you ordered the wrong memory.

This is what you should have ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7K4DV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Brand Name HyperX
Series KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY CORP.
Item model number HX426S15IB2/16
RAM 16 GB SO-DIMM
Memory Speed 2666 MHz

Also, you posted to the wrong forum, you should post to GX/GM/GU Series Gaming Notebooks forum.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Thanks jdfrench3 for the reply

Sorry that is my bad, I have copied the wrong link in the OP.
I have already double checked the product # on the packaging and confirmed it with CPU-Z as well that the correct 2666Mhz ram has been installed. :confused:

What speed did you register in CPU-Z without the new memory?

Use HWiNFO64 to match memory.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
What speed did you register in CPU-Z without the new memory?

Use HWiNFO64 to match memory.

I have got 1333Mhz in CPU-Z without the new memory and I've double checked it with HWiNFO64 as well.

Something I have realized is that the timing has changed since installing the new ram. It is currently at 14-17-17-39 where as before it was 19-19-19-43.

In HWiNFO64, for my extra ram it lists that the CAS# Latencies(ie.14 at the moment) supported goes from 11 to 18 and doesn't reach 19. Can this mean that the timing difference between my new and pre-installed ram is different, therefore causing the frequency drop? :confused:

Yes

May I suggest:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/rog-zephyrus-s-gx502gw

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Yes

May I suggest:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/rog-zephyrus-s-gx502gw

Good Luck

Much thanks to you jdfrench3 and also titanfallking

I went ahead and installed the Crucial ram. Now it is working perfectly, DRAM frequency is as expected at 2666Mhz. 😄
So just a quick tip to others out there with a GX502 and planning to get more ram, even thought the HyperX works it isn't the best match for the onboard ram.

Feldt wrote:
I have got 1333Mhz in CPU-Z without the new memory and I've double checked it with HWiNFO64 as well.

Something I have realized is that the timing has changed since installing the new ram. It is currently at 14-17-17-39 where as before it was 19-19-19-43.

In HWiNFO64, for my extra ram it lists that the CAS# Latencies(ie.14 at the moment) supported goes from 11 to 18 and doesn't reach 19. Can this mean that the timing difference between my new and pre-installed ram is different, therefore causing the frequency drop? :confused:

This is correct. You got a mis matched stick of ram. You must match the speed & timings exactly.

Feldt
Level 7
Hello all ROGers

I've recently got my GX502GW and as you may know it has 16GB of ram soldered into the motherboard and only just one empty slot provided, so I've decided to install an extra 16Gb just to get the benefits of dual channel ram.

This is the ram I have installed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7K4DV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now this is the part where it gets a bit confusing for me.
I'm currently using CPU-Z to check whether it is working or not, which it is but the DRAM frequency is only at 1196Mhz which corresponds to 2400Mhz only?
Clicking into the SPD page of CPU-Z even says that the max bandwidth of my new ram is DDR4-2666 (1333Mhz)
I made sure to check that the built in ram was running at 1333 and also checked that the new ram is at the same capacity and frequency, so why is it now running at 2400 instead of 2666?

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and is there a fix for it?
Thanks everybody.