Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    EveryOne With FAN SPEED GOING CRAZY

    Hi,
    Please check your bios and OS for CPU/GPU RPM, if it's a crazy number like 7000? or -34550 or what ever!
    then your problem is in THE HARDWARE the connector on the motherboard is very fragile and it has 4 PINS, very gentle pins inside it. those pins go inside the four holes of the fans connector and if even once the connector is seated in a wrong angle those pins will get BENT!
    please check this before posting about crazy fans speeds.

    ps. even new laptops can have this problem, employees @ asus factories aren't perfect and make mistakes too.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    490

    That's what I've been saying since ever but no one ever listens. It's lost between all the users ranting about the issue. People just want a magical fix, like a patch or something that will fix everything on a single click.
    Some users reported that unplugging the fans and plugging them back in would fix it for a few weeks. That's a dead giveaway. Should be an easy fix but people just want to complicate things...

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    That's what I've been saying since ever but no one ever listens. It's lost between all the users ranting about the issue. People just want a magical fix, like a patch or something that will fix everything on a single click.
    Some users reported that unplugging the fans and plugging them back in would fix it for a few weeks. That's a dead giveaway. Should be an easy fix but people just want to complicate things...
    yeah they need to understand this! hopefully after this they will

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    That's what I've been saying since ever but no one ever listens. It's lost between all the users ranting about the issue. People just want a magical fix, like a patch or something that will fix everything on a single click.
    Some users reported that unplugging the fans and plugging them back in would fix it for a few weeks. That's a dead giveaway. Should be an easy fix but people just want to complicate things...
    Are you kidding me? You're so quick to judge people for expecting their $2000 laptop to use connectors that're time tested to not come loose.
    Nobody wants to complicate anything; the rants are because nobody signed up for a laptop they need to disassemble to remedy this type of issue. As someone whose has experience in hardware level repairs, I have no problem with it; but to not understand where the people who want to rant are coming from is just obtuse, especially when their only other option is to have the unit spend four-six weeks sitting in Asus's repair depot, to have random parts thrown at it, that likely won't actually remedy the issue. Also, some of these machines have components (like the touchpad) that have no quality driver available.

    Example: The GL503, and GL504 both have an antiquated ELAN touchpad that kind of looks cool, but has no driver which remedies the fact it competes with ACPI interrupts and intermittently lags, and interprets movement at 1/10th sensitivity for minutes at a time. It had a similar issue in 2014, where a very similar looking touchpad (probably the same one) had a very similar issue (https://www.geek.com/apps/asus-says-...ptops-1608457/). This issue is already remedied on the custom drivers implemented on Red Hat linux, but for some reason, Asus refuses to put the man hours into fixing it. My theory is they're relying on the demographic who owns these laptops to be perfectly fine with using a plug in mouse. That's not a hardware issue, it's just a headache for IT professionals who think they can fix it, and then find they literally cannot.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by elang View Post
    Are you kidding me? You're so quick to judge people for expecting their $2000 laptop to use connectors that're time tested to not come loose.
    Nobody wants to complicate anything; the rants are because nobody signed up for a laptop they need to disassemble to remedy this type of issue. As someone whose has experience in hardware level repairs, I have no problem with it; but to not understand where the people who want to rant are coming from is just obtuse, especially when their only other option is to have the unit spend four-six weeks sitting in Asus's repair depot, to have random parts thrown at it, that likely won't actually remedy the issue. Also, some of these machines have components (like the touchpad) that have no quality driver available.

    Example: The GL503, and GL504 both have an antiquated ELAN touchpad that kind of looks cool, but has no driver which remedies the fact it competes with ACPI interrupts and intermittently lags, and interprets movement at 1/10th sensitivity for minutes at a time. It had a similar issue in 2014, where a very similar looking touchpad (probably the same one) had a very similar issue (https://www.geek.com/apps/asus-says-...ptops-1608457/). This issue is already remedied on the custom drivers implemented on Red Hat linux, but for some reason, Asus refuses to put the man hours into fixing it. My theory is they're relying on the demographic who owns these laptops to be perfectly fine with using a plug in mouse. That's not a hardware issue, it's just a headache for IT professionals who think they can fix it, and then find they literally cannot.
    I AM saying that if asus sells like 100000 of each model in each continent, then if even 0.1-1% slipped through the testing with bent pins and/or loose connectors and was marked "OK" and someone bought it. THESE THINGS happen and then you need to fix them or trust other person to fix them for you and then you PAY LOTS of money of that simple fix, One pin only or one little tape holding the connector.. IMO everyone should be able to repair their electronics if they have two eyes and two working hands. so E-Z

    ps. English is not my native language, sorry for every typo etc..

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by elang View Post
    Are you kidding me? You're so quick to judge people for expecting their $2000 laptop to use connectors that're time tested to not come loose.
    Nobody wants to complicate anything; the rants are because nobody signed up for a laptop they need to disassemble to remedy this type of issue. As someone whose has experience in hardware level repairs, I have no problem with it; but to not understand where the people who want to rant are coming from is just obtuse, especially when their only other option is to have the unit spend four-six weeks sitting in Asus's repair depot, to have random parts thrown at it, that likely won't actually remedy the issue. Also, some of these machines have components (like the touchpad) that have no quality driver available.

    Example: The GL503, and GL504 both have an antiquated ELAN touchpad that kind of looks cool, but has no driver which remedies the fact it competes with ACPI interrupts and intermittently lags, and interprets movement at 1/10th sensitivity for minutes at a time. It had a similar issue in 2014, where a very similar looking touchpad (probably the same one) had a very similar issue (https://www.geek.com/apps/asus-says-...ptops-1608457/). This issue is already remedied on the custom drivers implemented on Red Hat linux, but for some reason, Asus refuses to put the man hours into fixing it. My theory is they're relying on the demographic who owns these laptops to be perfectly fine with using a plug in mouse. That's not a hardware issue, it's just a headache for IT professionals who think they can fix it, and then find they literally cannot.
    I never said the connector would come loose. It's a bad connection, doesn't means the connector popped out of the socket. It happens all the time. You're saying that like everything that comes out of the factory is 100% tested and designed to perfection. I've been messing around with these contraptions since the mid 90s and I worked on a laptop repair shop for almost a decade. This is a common issue. If anything, it's just a bad fan.
    People reported that they fixed that with tape, just by holding the wires in a certain position. Some reported that reseating the connector would fix it for a couple of weeks. It's a dead giveaway. Just a bad connection.

    It's not a driver issue. It's not a software issue. It's not the BIOS going crazy. It's not a demonic possession. But hell, if you want to waste your time reformatting hundreds of times or waiting for a magical fix instead of simply opening up the back cover and trying to actually troubleshoot the issue, go right ahead and have fun while you're at it.
    Last edited by FULLMETALJACKET7; 12-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    I never said the connector would come loose. It's a bad connection, doesn't means the connector popped out of the socket. It happens all the time. You're saying that like everything that comes out of the factory is 100% tested and designed to perfection. I've been messing around with these contraptions since the mid 90s and I worked on a laptop repair shop for almost a decade. This is a common issue. If anything, it's just a bad fan.
    People reported that they fixed that with tape, just by holding the wires in a certain position. Some reported that reseating the connector would fix it for a couple of weeks. It's a dead giveaway. Just a bad connection.

    It's not a driver issue. It's not a software issue. It's not the BIOS going crazy. It's not a demonic possession. But hell, if you want to waste your time reformatting hundreds of times or waiting for a magical fix instead of simply opening up the back cover and trying to actually troubleshoot the issue, go right ahead and have fun while you're at it.
    +1, wise words! connection IS the KEY! , make sure it's stable

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Tor_Spo
    It's not a driver issue. It's not a software issue. It's not the BIOS going crazy. It's not a demonic possession. But hell, if you want to waste your time reformatting hundreds of times or waiting for a magical fix instead of simply opening up the back cover and trying to actually troubleshoot the issue, go right ahead and have fun while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    I never said the connector would come loose. It's a bad connection, doesn't means the connector popped out of the socket. It happens all the time. You're saying that like everything that comes out of the factory is 100% tested and designed to perfection. I've been messing around with these contraptions since the mid 90s and I worked on a laptop repair shop for almost a decade. This is a common issue. If anything, it's just a bad fan.
    People reported that they fixed that with tape, just by holding the wires in a certain position. Some reported that reseating the connector would fix it for a couple of weeks. It's a dead giveaway. Just a bad connection.

    It's not a driver issue. It's not a software issue. It's not the BIOS going crazy. It's not a demonic possession. But hell, if you want to waste your time reformatting hundreds of times or waiting for a magical fix instead of simply opening up the back cover and trying to actually troubleshoot the issue, go right ahead and have fun while you're at it.
    The thermal issues are often hardware issues, like you described, but you also criticize people in a more general fashion for being upset about Asus's drivers, and you paint a picture that it's unreasonable to suspect drivers might ever cause these types of issues, and that's plain false. The drivers control the fan speed based on the thermal sensors, and respond to the thermal sensors accordingly.

    If Asus finds the thermal sensors degrade in their accuracy, affecting 50% of all units in circulation, they could and probably have written software based patches to adjust the detection to the likely degradation of the sensors detection quality, or make the RPM changes less aggressive in certain temp ranges, because that will always be cheaper than a recall.

    I think people are also dead-underestimating the number of users a lot of these issues affect, with some blind consumer-esque faith in the idea that if this issue affected everyone, then there would be a recall, or a magical fix.. but the sad reality is the issue affects many people who either deal with it, go through several RMAs thinking they got unlucky, or return the machine. Considering how many different models Asus has, they're advantaging the fact the % of customers who are vocal enough to write about issues with any given model is highly constrained, in comparison to a company like Apple. Asus can basically ignore small issues, or issues that're likely to only appear after a few weeks of use, so long as the product is good enough to withstand the two hours of basic testing Youtubers like Linus Tech Tips will do, they're good, people will trust the review, and if they have an issue with their product, they'll just assume they got unlucky. There won't be fluid and quick documentation of issues by all different users like there would be for a Macbook, and for Asus to basically take that into consideration with how they treat addressing hardware issues, it's sad.

    https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...nt-valued-12m/ There weren't many people talking about this issue on the forums, there were some, but not enough to make it look like there was something worthy of a recall.

    My point is, you're right it's a common issue, but it's not an issue that should be appearing in so many peoples machines after two weeks or a month of use. If it would cost Asus slightly more to improve the quality and reinforcement of their boards, and assembly, to prevent this "common issue", they don't necessarily have a tangible incentive to do so, because apologists like yourself will come and say it's just a bad connection, seen it for 20 years... Where should users draw the line? So many 5 star Amazon reviews on Asus's $1400+ models are revised mentioning "thermal issues after two weeks of normal use", or "everything was fine for a week but then XYZ, returned to Amazon". Just because the users can fix it

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-ASUS-support

    This same touchpad is included in 2018, and 2019 models (like the GL503,4) and the driver is outright faulty.
    This is an example of the types of issues which makes people reluctant to trust software any time something goes wrong.

    I've also worked as a technician, doing repairs on laptops for ~5 years.

    Regardless, there're plenty of people who have posted saying their thermal issues were resolved after a Bios update, so your condescending nonsense about possession serve absolutely no purpose, because even if it is most often a hardware issue, the fact that there are instances where it was a firmware issue justifies the fact many people seek one out. Also, when I said loose connector, I didn't imagine you'd characterize a bad connection differently, but yes.. a loose connection, regardless of whether its solder, or a ribbon cable.

    Like, I agree, if someone reseats (or tapes, or wiggles) a connector, finds their issue resolved for a couple weeks, then proceeds to hunt down a driver issue... that's pretty moronic, but you're casting way too wide of a net with your criticism considering there are issues, unfixed, in circulation, that are purely based on the available firmware for these expensive products.

    If Asus had higher turnaround with their warranty service, maybe consumers, who have no obligation to know how to troubleshoot hardware issues, would feel more comfortable sending their units in for a fix instead of annoying you in this forum.

    Unfortunately, having a product sit in service for 1/12th of it's warranty period, and being required to pay for outgoing shipping, is not status quo in consumer laptop industry for warranty service, yet Asus still markets to consumers.. who will ***** when they run into issues they didn't have with Apple, Dell, Lenovo, or dare I even say HP.

    I leave you with this beautiful video.
    https://youtu.be/Hrze-gx1T1E
    Last edited by elang; 12-09-2019 at 10:26 AM.

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Tor_Spo View Post
    Hi,
    Please check your bios and OS for CPU/GPU RPM, if it's a crazy number like 7000? or -34550 or what ever!
    then your problem is in THE HARDWARE the connector on the motherboard is very fragile and it has 4 PINS, very gentle pins inside it. those pins go inside the four holes of the fans connector and if even once the connector is seated in a wrong angle those pins will get BENT!
    please check this before posting about crazy fans speeds.

    ps. even new laptops can have this problem, employees @ asus factories aren't perfect and make mistakes too.

    I think you need to consider the likelihood that the number of people complaining about issues with their fan speed turns the issue from being a forgivable human mistake, to a lack of quality control. Also, if your issue was resolved by straightening pins, or replacing a part, there are people whose issues recurred after sending their product to Asus for service, so to characterize their issues as being forgivable is just asinine.

    Remember, anyone who speaks to these issues, are a subset of the people experiencing these issues. Not everyone, few people, log into the ROG forum to document issues they have with their machine. Many will just ignore it, or sadly even go as far as to purchase a new machine, or return the old one to the retailer they purchased it at.

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    ventiladores locos GL703GE

    Hola ,yo imagine que era un falso contacto y quite la tapa , solte el conector y lo volvi a conectar y como bien dice FULLMETALJACKET7 se soluciono por un mes aproximadamente.
    he tenido que repetir la operacion pero me quede con ganas de darle un poquito de estaño a las patillas del conector/placa , sin duda cuando vuelva ha abrirlo lo hare , prefiero perder la garantia a que me lo toqueteen todo y lo dejen peor.
    Saludos


    Hello, I imagined that it was a false contact and removed the cover, release the connector and reconnected it and as you say it was solved for about a month.
    I have had to repeat the operation but I wanted to give the connector / board pins a little bit of tin, no doubt when I open it again I will do it, I prefer to lose the guarantee that they will touch everything and leave it worse.
    Cheers
    Last edited by alis19; 12-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •