Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elang View Post
    The thermal issues are often hardware issues, like you described, but you also criticize people in a more general fashion for being upset about Asus's drivers, and you paint a picture that it's unreasonable to suspect drivers might ever cause these types of issues, and that's plain false. The drivers control the fan speed based on the thermal sensors, and respond to the thermal sensors accordingly.

If Asus finds the thermal sensors degrade in their accuracy, affecting 50% of all units in circulation, they could and probably have written software based patches to adjust the detection to the likely degradation of the sensors detection quality, or make the RPM changes less aggressive in certain temp ranges, because that will always be cheaper than a recall.

I think people are also dead-underestimating the number of users a lot of these issues affect, with some blind consumer-esque faith in the idea that if this issue affected everyone, then there would be a recall, or a magical fix.. but the sad reality is the issue affects many people who either deal with it, go through several RMAs thinking they got unlucky, or return the machine. Considering how many different models Asus has, they're advantaging the fact the % of customers who are vocal enough to write about issues with any given model is highly constrained, in comparison to a company like Apple. Asus can basically ignore small issues, or issues that're likely to only appear after a few weeks of use, so long as the product is good enough to withstand the two hours of basic testing Youtubers like Linus Tech Tips will do, they're good, people will trust the review, and if they have an issue with their product, they'll just assume they got unlucky. There won't be fluid and quick documentation of issues by all different users like there would be for a Macbook, and for Asus to basically take that into consideration with how they treat addressing hardware issues, it's sad.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...nt-valued-12m/ There weren't many people talking about this issue on the forums, there were some, but not enough to make it look like there was something worthy of a recall.

My point is, you're right it's a common issue, but it's not an issue that should be appearing in so many peoples machines after two weeks or a month of use. If it would cost Asus slightly more to improve the quality and reinforcement of their boards, and assembly, to prevent this "common issue", they don't necessarily have a tangible incentive to do so, because apologists like yourself will come and say it's just a bad connection, seen it for 20 years... Where should users draw the line? So many 5 star Amazon reviews on Asus's $1400+ models are revised mentioning "thermal issues after two weeks of normal use", or "everything was fine for a week but then XYZ, returned to Amazon". Just because the users can fix it

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-ASUS-support

This same touchpad is included in 2018, and 2019 models (like the GL503,4) and the driver is outright faulty.
    This is an example of the types of issues which makes people reluctant to trust software any time something goes wrong.

I've also worked as a technician, doing repairs on laptops for ~5 years.

Regardless, there're plenty of people who have posted saying their thermal issues were resolved after a Bios update, so your condescending nonsense about possession serve absolutely no purpose, because even if it is most often a hardware issue, the fact that there are instances where it was a firmware issue justifies the fact many people seek one out. Also, when I said loose connector, I didn't imagine you'd characterize a bad connection differently, but yes.. a loose connection, regardless of whether its solder, or a ribbon cable.

Like, I agree, if someone reseats (or tapes, or wiggles) a connector, finds their issue resolved for a couple weeks, then proceeds to hunt down a driver issue... that's pretty moronic, but you're casting way too wide of a net with your criticism considering there are issues, unfixed, in circulation, that are purely based on the available firmware for these expensive products.

If Asus had higher turnaround with their warranty service, maybe consumers, who have no obligation to know how to troubleshoot hardware issues, would feel more comfortable sending their units in for a fix instead of annoying you in this forum.

Unfortunately, having a product sit in service for 1/12th of it's warranty period, and being required to pay for outgoing shipping, is not status quo in consumer laptop industry for warranty service, yet Asus still markets to consumers.. who will ***** when they run into issues they didn't have with Apple, Dell, Lenovo, or dare I even say HP.

I leave you with this beautiful video.
    https://youtu.be/Hrze-gx1T1E
    Keep it short and simple if you want anyone around here reading your replies. If you feel like writing a book on the subject, this is not the right place I'm afraid.
    We are discussing the obnoxious fan speed issue. Nothing less, nothing more. Stop trying to change the subject and putting words in my mouth so you can try and make sense of your logic. If you want to talk about thermal issues, driver issues and whatnot, use the search function and find the proper thread to discuss it.

Read the other threads on the issue and you'll see what I'm talking about. There are also links to other forums where people also found the culprit.
    It's a bad connection. Simple as that. Case closed.

New ROGer Array

My point is, you're right it's a common issue, but it's not an issue that should be appearing in so many peoples machines after two weeks or a month of use.
    do you understand it's possibly a bad
    BATCH! BATCH = those 2000 laptops that they made in one months time and those laptops are being sold around the world and the problems manifests because of the BAD BATCH
    this bad patch has had BAD connectors that asus have bought from another company that makes those connectors / fans. (bad batch)

did this make this crystal clear for you now?

and if the connection IS BAD you need to go to your BIOS and see if the RPM THERE IS CHANGING, if it is 0 or crazy number like 547654
    (cpu fan only can be seen there)
    if the problem is with GPU fan you need to check it with software in your operating system.

please focus.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    Keep it short and simple if you want anyone around here reading your replies. If you feel like writing a book on the subject, this is not the right place I'm afraid.
    We are discussing the obnoxious fan speed issue. Nothing less, nothing more. Stop trying to change the subject and putting words in my mouth so you can try and make sense of your logic. If you want to talk about thermal issues, driver issues and whatnot, use the search function and find the proper thread to discuss it.

Read the other threads on the issue and you'll see what I'm talking about. There are also links to other forums where people also found the culprit.
    It's a bad connection. Simple as that. Case closed.
    Your opinion on the threshold for how much people are willing to read/appreciate is irrelevant, so don't try and pass it off as everybody else's; might just be indicative of your own literacy.

My post addresses the idea that fan speed issues aren't always going to be a one off mfg. mistake, and could easily be underengineering, and widespread QA, and it would be hard to tell given spread of models a company like Asus offers. Yes, I heavily diverged from the OP which specifies the issue which presents with Bios reading nonsense RPMs, but I was commenting on the idea that the majority of the people seem not to be experiencing the issue which OP, and your post suggests to likely be the culprit (with your suggestion that everyone wants a software patch, or thinks repetitively reinstalling windows will magically bring remedy).

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Tor_Spo View Post
    do you understand it's possibly a bad
    BATCH! BATCH = those 2000 laptops that they made in one months time and those laptops are being sold around the world and the problems manifests because of the BAD BATCH
    this bad patch has had BAD connectors that asus have bought from another company that makes those connectors / fans. (bad batch)

did this make this crystal clear for you now?

and if the connection IS BAD you need to go to your BIOS and see if the RPM THERE IS CHANGING, if it is 0 or crazy number like 547654
    (cpu fan only can be seen there)
    if the problem is with GPU fan you need to check it with software in your operating system.

please focus.
    I get it, and good on you for identifying the issue, but given the nature of this discussion board I feel entitled to voicing my opinion on why issues with bad batches exist, among why a diligent user like yourself has to mention the issues, and how to diagnose it, instead of Asus doing the prudent thing and issuing a service advisory, and paying for affected people to ship their machines back for an expedited repair.

Your opinion on the threshold for how much people are willing to read/appreciate is irrelevant, so don't try and pass it off as everybody else's; might just be indicative of your own literacy.

My post addresses the idea that fan speed issues aren't always going to be a one off mfg. mistake, and could easily be underengineering, and widespread QA, and it would be hard to tell given spread of models a company like Asus offers. Yes, I heavily diverged from the OP which specifies the issue which presents with Bios reading nonsense RPMs, but I was commenting on the idea that the majority of the people seem not to be experiencing the issue which OP, and your post suggests to likely be the culprit (with your suggestion that everyone wants a software patch, or thinks repetitively reinstalling windows will magically bring remedy).
    This is not a public library. People come to this forum to looking for a quick solution and wall of text isn't going to help in this case, specially when it goes way off topic. It just gets in the way when you're trying to find something.

This specific issue we are discussing here is caused by a bad connection. Not software related. I -and others for that matter- never said fan speed issues are always caused by a bad connection. Again, we are discussing this very specific issue with this line of laptops from Asus.

It doesn't matter how many users are dealing with this issue. We are not here to discuss that, but instead to find a solution. It is happening and the solution is out there, but users keep trying to magically fix it without even opening the back cover of their laptops to at least try to troubleshoot. I say they want a patch or whatever or are expecting a reformat would fix that, because that's what people have been doing. Read the other threads and see it for yourself.
    Last edited by FULLMETALJACKET7; 12-10-2019 at 10:22 AM.

New ROGer Array

en cuanto hablas con el servicio tecnico de Asus , les cuentas el problema y empiezan a hablarte de driver , controladores , bios , actualizaciones , etc... entiendes que trae mas cuenta solucionarlo por tu cuenta con riesgo de perder la garantia que mandarles tu ordenador que volvera hecho una patata.
    Saludos.

As soon as you speak with the technical service of Asus, you tell them the problem and they start talking to you about driver, drivers, bios, updates, etc ... you understand that it brings more account to solve it on your own with risk of losing the guarantee that you send them your computer I'll make a potato again.
    Regards.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    This is not a public library. People come to this forum to looking for a quick solution and wall of text isn't going to help in this case, specially when it goes way off topic. It just gets in the way when you're trying to find something.

This specific issue we are discussing here is caused by a bad connection. Not software related. I -and others for that matter- never said fan speed issues are always caused by a bad connection. Again, we are discussing this very specific issue with this line of laptops from Asus.

It doesn't matter how many users are dealing with this issue. We are not here to discuss that, but instead to find a solution. It is happening and the solution is out there, but users keep trying to magically fix it without even opening the back cover of their laptops to at least try to troubleshoot. I say they want a patch or whatever or are expecting a reformat would fix that, because that's what people have been doing. Read the other threads and see it for yourself.
    (to placate) DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS NOT A FIX FOR THE FAN ISSUES AND RATHER CONTRIBUTION TO A NECESSARY DISCUSSION ON WHY THESE ISSUES EXIST.

This also isn't Asus technical support, so the fact you see the board as needing to stand in for that, bolsters every point I've been making.
    This is a discussion board for Asus products, specifically the GL series of laptop. I am happy my post is included in this discussion, because this will allow people who choose to read my posts to understand that they didn't just get unlucky, and that these issues affect more people then they should.

You're in no position to gate keep how people should use this discussion board.

Finding a solution is absolutely ideal, but if there're so many issues needing solutions found, I think this is absolutely an appropriate place to mention that.

Sure, maybe I could have made an individual thread for this train of thought, but nonetheless, it's pretty easy to see that my post was a commentary on the issue and not a solution, so any member who is using the forum in the way you just described could easily choose to not read my commentary and scroll through for a solution. Any member who reads my discussion, and would like to agree/disagree with it, can do so. It's not like I wrote a bait where the first three sentences set up something that looks like its going to lead into a magic solution, then I proceed to diverge into a critique of Asus.

Also, any user who wants to arbitrarily define what they think this forum should be used for, in a dogmatic fashion may do so, I guess..

If Asus upped their engineering QA, and mfg QA, the quantity of fixes needing to be discerned by the end user would go down, and that's totally relevant.

If this thread was about a one-off issue, or a recurrent issue that appears in a single model, I'd be pretty off-topic. But when someone says "FAN SPEED GOING CRAZY" they could be referring to like ten different presentations of that issue, all which are common with Asus models in the ROG line, all which may or may not be caused by hardware. Don't believe me, just look at the posts in these forums.
    Last edited by elang; 12-11-2019 at 08:09 AM.

(to placate) DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS NOT A FIX FOR THE FAN ISSUES AND RATHER CONTRIBUTION TO A NECESSARY DISCUSSION ON WHY THESE ISSUES EXIST.

This also isn't Asus technical support, so the fact you see the board as needing to stand in for that, bolsters every point I've been making.
    This is a discussion board for Asus products, specifically the GL series of laptop. I am happy my post is included in this discussion, because this will allow people who choose to read my posts to understand that they didn't just get unlucky, and that these issues affect more people then they should.

You're in no position to gate keep how people should use this discussion board.

Finding a solution is absolutely ideal, but if there're so many issues needing solutions found, I think this is absolutely an appropriate place to mention that.

Sure, maybe I could have made an individual thread for this train of thought, but nonetheless, it's pretty easy to see that my post was a commentary on the issue and not a solution, so any member who is using the forum in the way you just described could easily choose to not read my commentary and scroll through for a solution. Any member who reads my discussion, and would like to agree/disagree with it, can do so. It's not like I wrote a bait where the first three sentences set up something that looks like its going to lead into a magic solution, then I proceed to diverge into a critique of Asus.

Also, any user who wants to arbitrarily define what they think this forum should be used for, in a dogmatic fashion may do so, I guess..

If Asus upped their engineering QA, and mfg QA, the quantity of fixes needing to be discerned by the end user would go down, and that's totally relevant.

If this thread was about a one-off issue, or a recurrent issue that appears in a single model, I'd be pretty off-topic. But when someone says "FAN SPEED GOING CRAZY" they could be referring to like ten different presentations of that issue, all which are common with Asus models in the ROG line, all which may or may not be caused by hardware. Don't believe me, just look at the posts in these forums.

Off-topic walls of text aren't going to help finding or solving the issue.

If you feel like venting your frustration or disgust about Asus engeneering QA and whatnot, I suggest you take a look at the "service-related inquiries" or "general discussion" subforums. Have fun.
    Last edited by FULLMETALJACKET7; 12-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alis19 View Post
    en cuanto hablas con el servicio tecnico de Asus , les cuentas el problema y empiezan a hablarte de driver , controladores , bios , actualizaciones , etc... entiendes que trae mas cuenta solucionarlo por tu cuenta con riesgo de perder la garantia que mandarles tu ordenador que volvera hecho una patata.
    Saludos.

As soon as you speak with the technical service of Asus, you tell them the problem and they start talking to you about driver, drivers, bios, updates, etc ... you understand that it brings more account to solve it on your own with risk of losing the guarantee that you send them your computer I'll make a potato again.
    Regards.
    That's just their standard script they usually follow.
    If it's still under warranty, send it back. If it's not, then you have the option to try fixing it yourself or taking the device to a repair shop near you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2