cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G501VW] NVMe 1tb + 8gb ram upgrade

mustino
Level 7
Hello guys,
I'm posting this hoping it will be helpful to somebody. Because there's not much regarding g501vw ssd upgrade in the forum.
My model FHD version which comes with 8gb ram, a 128gb ssd SATA m.2 and a 1TB hard drive. On the specs page it's written the model supports PCIe x4 3.0 512gb and that 8gb are soldered and has a free slot for 8gb more (up to 16gb in total).

In occasion to Black Friday I bought a 1TB ssd NVMe PCIe 3.0 (taking the risk, didn't know if that would be supported since it's 1TB) and a 8gb ddr4 2133mhz.

Installed everything and works fine (NVMe is recognized in BIOS, opposed to as stated in another thread for model g501jw)
2 REPLIES 2

jdfrench3
Level 12
It would be helpful to others if you would provide Brand Name and Model Numbers of the devices you bought and successfully installed.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Hi guys,

This is probably an old thread but I did find it useful when deciding to upgrade my G501VW-FY031T. It originally came with 128 GB M.2 (SATA) SSD and 1 TB mechanical drive.

I took the plunge based on this thread to upgraded it to 1 TB NVMe + 2 TB SATA SSD. I used to following parts:

• Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 (2280) PCIe NVMe SSD (Model# SA2000M8/1000G)
  • Samsung 870 QVO 2TB 2.5" SATA (Model# MZ-77Q2T0BW)

I'm certain the brand of the NVMe drive doesn't matter; I bought the mid-range version. You can go with any NVMe drive provided that it is the 2280 form factor.

You'll also need to following tools/gadgets

• T5 Trox driver
  • PH0 Phillips driver
  • Orico TCM2-C3 NVMe M.2 SSD (Model# TCM2-C3-SV)
  • Orico 2588US3-BK 2.5" USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

Any USB3.0 SATA enclosure will work but pay special attention to the NVMe enclosure. You need the M.2 enclosure that supports the M-key! This sounds confusing but the M.2 form factor has two variant the SATA variant (B + M-key) and the NVMe variant which is only comes in the M-key. I almost bought the wrong version.

Once, you've got all of that. Use the AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition (free version) to clone your data over. This saves a lot of hassle and once you replaced your new drives in your laptop, it'll boot without any issues or messing with the BIOS. Other cloning software gives me the BSoD (Inaccessible boot drive). There's a command line you can type in to fix it (https://faststorage.eu/how-to-clone-windows-10-from-sata-ssd-to-m-2-ssd-fix-inaccessible-boot-device...) but I'd suggest start directly with AOMEI.

In terms of benchmarking, I get the following speeds using Samsung Magician.

NVMe - Read: 2044 MB/s, Write: 1978 MB/s
SATA* - Read: 3041 MB/s, Write: 2241 MB/s (*This is with the 'Rapid Mode' enabled for the Samsung drive using Samsung Magician software, if you disable this mode then it is the standard SSD SATA speed of approx. 500 MB/s read/write).

Hope this helps!