cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PG279Q, dead pixel

TTab88
Level 7
Return or keep? It's off center so it's not very noticeable. Problem is that I heard that people go through several of these. I bought it from a store so it would be a simple go in and exchange, but I'm not sure I want to keep going back and forth playing the panel lottery. The screen itself is good otherwise -- no "dirt," good screen uniformity, no backlight bleeding. I heard the acer's were better QC wise, but the store I bought the monitor from doesn't have the acer equivalent.
6 REPLIES 6

ninezerofive
Level 10
You have to see will they exchange it and what's their tolerances. You might be stuck with screen that has one dead pixel.

What I have heard about the Acer screens are that the ones that were 120 Hz, came with 100 Hz standard and 120 was an overclock, not all screens could do overclock and many of the screens could do the overclock for about the year when they stopped working on 120 Hz and had to be turned down to 100 Hz.

ninezerofive wrote:
You have to see will they exchange it and what's their tolerances. You might be stuck with screen that has one dead pixel.

What I have heard about the Acer screens are that the ones that were 120 Hz, came with 100 Hz standard and 120 was an overclock, not all screens could do overclock and many of the screens could do the overclock for about the year when they stopped working on 120 Hz and had to be turned down to 100 Hz.

Microcenter has an exceptional return policy, return for any reason. Also I just looked and they do have the Acer monitor in stock. It’s the xb271hu, it’s 144hz native, IPS and G-SYNC. I found less complaints about dead pixels as well. So I think I’m just going to exchange for the Acer. I’ve read severa stories about people going through multiple Asus monitors, and I don’t want to go through that headache.*

ninezerofive
Level 10
Here in UK, we have few suppliers that for an extra charge will check the monitor before shipping it out to make sure it's in perfect condition.

But yea, go ahead try your luck with different brand if you feel like it ! 🙂

Kelutrel
Level 11
The PG279Q is probably the best non-curved gaming monitor available, period.
It is unfortunate that you got that dead pixel, and you should have it replaced. You will be satisfied by the monitor, especially if you are a gamer. I can testify it is better and gave me less problems than any other Dell or Acer I've ever had.

Kelutrel wrote:
The PG279Q is probably the best non-curved gaming monitor available, period.
It is unfortunate that you got that dead pixel, and you should have it replaced. You will be satisfied by the monitor, especially if you are a gamer. I can testify it is better and gave me less problems than any other Dell or Acer I've ever had.

Yeah the image quality was great. But the xb271hu has similar quality, I just notice that the out-of-the box color just needs slight tweaking, and the contrast ratio is slightly lower. But overall, very similar in terms of image quality. However, the microcenter only had 1 other PG279Q in stock, and I just did not want to deal with the hassle of taking it back and forth because I have read a lot of reviews of people going through several panels, and some of them in the end go through 4-5 and just give up and buy something else. The acer has similar issues because the panel is made by the same company but the QC issues aren't as bad.

It's disappointing because I have an asus rog motherboard and GPU that I have had zero problems with. It's too bad that their monitors aren't as reliable.

Ok, update..

The acer had this weird slight yellow tint that was noticeable on white screens (like websites). Turns out it's a screen uniformity issue, and it's just something that these monitors have and not really a defect. Tweaking doesn't do anything because it's warmer on the left side and cooler on the right, so no amount of tweaking will really fix it. I ended up returning it and getting the asus again. The asus had actually gone up in price since I first bought it, but luckily microcenter honored what I had originally paid for it so I didn't have to pay any extra. I had bought the 2 year protection plan that covers dead pixels, and they were able to transfer that to the asus as well.

The difference is actually quite noticeable between the two monitors when it comes to contrast ratio, brightness, and whites. I couldn't never get a true white on the acer. So far, no screen uniformity issues on the asus, no backlight bleed, and most importantly no dead pixels, and if I get any the protection plan will allow me to just take it to the store and exchange it for another or get store credit to get another monitor within the next 2 years. It's a pretty good plan, and gives me peace of mind.

So if anyone is reading this and is deciding between the two, or has issues with the asus and is contemplating getting the acer, I'd say stick with the asus. The image quality is just better, the stand is a lot more stable (the acer was wobbly) and is more aesthetically pleasing, OSD controls are better because of the joystick. It's just an overall beter monitor.