cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM won't boot with 860 QVO SSD in in the HDD slot

superchomp
Level 8
Hello all. I thought I would upgrade the HDD in the secondary bay of my GL702VM before It dies. Picked up a Samsung 860 QVO, cloned the internal DATA drive to the SSD with Macrium Reflect, replaced it, and the machine won't POST, just gets stuck on ASUS ROG logo.

Put back the stock HGST drive and it boots fine. I've tried turning off fast boot and S.M.A.R.T., this machine won't start up if the drive is in the 2.5" SATA slot. Any ideas?

Edit / TL;DR- Samsung SSDs and the latest BIOS don't play nice. A WD Blue SSD works fine.
6 REPLIES 6

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Probably related to secure boot.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Kind of sounds like you may be having the same issue reported for the GL502VS at the thread below, but haven't heard issues related to the Samsung 860 QVO or remember hearing this issue on the GL702VM although haven't looked into that much and may have missed it.
If it's a data drive rather than a boot drive, you may just want to unplug it if you haven't already to confirm the system boots fine without the Samsung 860 QVO drive installed.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111411-GL502VS-Bios-306-no-boot-with-secondary-SATA-SSD-co...

Looks like I am not alone, here's a note from an ASUS user but on a Samsung support thread:
"860 QVO ssd causes my laptop to not boot up"

cl-Albert wrote:
Kind of sounds like you may be having the same issue reported for the GL502VS at the thread below, but haven't heard issues related to the Samsung 860 QVO or remember hearing this issue on the GL702VM although haven't looked into that much and may have missed it.
If it's a data drive rather than a boot drive, you may just want to unplug it if you haven't already to confirm the system boots fine without the Samsung 860 QVO drive installed.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111411-GL502VS-Bios-306-no-boot-with-secondary-SATA-SSD-co...

Thank you Albert- it does boot with nothing in the Samsung QVO in the secondary SATA slot (with just an NVMe in the m.2 slot). Hangs at logo with it connected (either fully empty or mirrored from the stock HGST HDD).

One last update from me today- I am returning the 860 QVO due to apparent Samsung incompatibility of SSDs in the SATA slot. A terabyte at $87 was too good to pass up for Black Friday but I need stability.
Can anyone report on a SATA SSD brand that works well with 310 BIOS of ASUS ROG GL702VM or just ASUS laptops in general?

Edit: I picked up a WD Blue 1TB and the GL702VM boots fine with it in the SATA slot. Doing a clone of the stock HDD now, but I have faith it will work. Looks like Samsung SSDs prevent the system from POSTing.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
superchomp wrote:
Thank you Albert- it does boot with nothing in the Samsung QVO in the secondary SATA slot (with just an NVMe in the m.2 slot). Hangs at logo with it connected (either fully empty or mirrored from the stock HGST HDD).

superchomp, you may want to check which bios version is installed and consider trying a bios downgrade if you are okay with that workaround, but no idea if it will make any difference, so might not be worth pursuing.

Unfortunately, ASUS didn't officially approve or check out a whole lot of drives for the GL702VM, so if you can switch to a different brand and/or model drive, that could end up being the easier solution assuming the system still works fine with the previous drive or a different drive.
Assuming you didn't install a bootable image on that Samsung QVO drive, consider reformatting it to test as a blank data drive to see if that works any better in case there was some issue with the imaging process.

Feel free to look into it more or get more opinions since I don't hear or know everything.