ROG Crosshair VIII X570 Hero (Wi-fi) - BIOS flashed to v1105
AMD R9 3900X
ROG Strix 2080ti (OC edition)
G.Skill TridentZ RBG DDR4 3600 x4 8gb 16-16-16-36
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000FX (1000w)
Corsair H150i Pro
Gigabyte AORUS 1 TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
Windows 10 Pro x64 (1909)

I've had a lot of issues getting inconsistent boots. When using displayport about one in every five boots results in code AA and no LEDs lit with monitor signal immediately and the option to boot to BIOS, but the other four out of five attempts result in no signal to the monitor and the white VGA light illuminating. Q-Code AA is still displayed. However, with the graphics drivers installed and windows coming up, the OS seems to detect the fault and gives the card a kick, restoring the signal. The white VGA light remains lit, but the display comes up eventually and runs fine from there. This means I can't get into the bios via displayport unless I keep hitting reset until I get a 'good boot' and the white VGA light goes out.

I did a lot of troubleshooting:

- Cleared CMOS and popped the MB battery out for a few minutes.

- Ran the RAM underclocked (no D.O.C.P profile).

- Inspected and reseated CPU - no bent pins - currently running on stock cooler to eliminate the H150i Pro - no difference

- Reseated GPU and tried PCI-E slot 2 - no difference

- Built up outside of case with only a single RAM stick installed, CPU and GPU, tried with different individual sticks - no difference

- Tried my old 650w Corsair PSU with it's own cables - no difference

- Tried booting the 2080ti again but this time with nothing connected to it (no DP or HDMI cable) - no difference

- Tried my old GPU (Strix R9 Fury) - worked flawlessly despite repeated reboots and resets

- I tried the 2080ti again but this time with HDMI - works flawlessly every time despite repeated reboots/resets using displayport and HDMI.

- I purchased a certified displayport cable which definitely does not have pin 20 connected. No difference.

- I also tried powering off the monitor, unplugging from the wall, doing the same with the PC and restarting everything over an hour later. Unlike many others I've found by googling, this does not solve my issue.

Stumped. HDMI continues to work without fail on the 2080ti. I get to q-code AA and all of the boot sequence LEDs turn off - happy days. But since my monitor is 75hz/Freesync and listed as compatible with the freesync/GSync updates I want to use DP for obvious reasons.

However, with Displayport, I still have about 1/5 boots go through successfully with no boot LEDs lit and the rest fail, then recover, with the white VGA LED remainig lit.

I'm thinking of RMAing the GPU but would be interested in any thoughts you guys might have?
17 REPLIES 17

Zechk
Level 7
A quick update.

I didn't do much more stability testing as with everything running at stock I'm not anticipating stability issues. I just wanted to find out what would happen when I stressed the components, particularly the GPU, to weed out any other hardware faults.

I've now run:

- Aida64 stress testing for 1 hour with everything other than GPU and HDDs stressed. I've had no issues as everything is running on stock voltages. I have repeated this test on both HDMI and DP (DP after power cycling until I got a 'good boot')
- Realbench for 1 hour using HDMI - no issues
- Realbench for 1 hour using DP (after power cycling until I got a 'good boot') - no issues

I honestly have no idea what could be causing the boot issues other than the GPU as everything works flawlessly at stock apart from the GPU when booting using DP. I'm opening a support ticket with ASUS.

User_od
Level 8
I had the same issue on an brand new PC build recently (before I even had an chance to install Windows).

• No video signal on power up / cold boot (all the fans were turning, but the monitor just kept going into standby).
  • The Q-LED for VGA on the motherboard was staying constantly on (white).

*The display did come to life one time out of about 20 or so power on attempts (so I guess it does work very intermittently).

Workaround - (please see my post below for the actually fix / solution).

In my monitor settings I found an option to change to a different DisplayPort version.
So I switched from version 1.4 (default) to 1.2 and that fixed it.
I've have not had an 'no video signal' problem on power up -or- reboot since.

It's certainly easy to see how people might draw the wrong conclusion troubleshooting this issue and think it's a hardware fault.

[EDIT]

If you change the DisplayPort version back to v1.4 when you in are Windows that will work fine.
Just bare in mind if you reboot or power up from cold you will get no video signal until it reaches the point when the Windows login is displayed.
Hence if you need to get into the BIOS or need to see any pre-boot options or on-screen errors your have to switch back to DP v1.2.

I have now logged an official support ticket with ASUS to make them aware.

Try 3DMark TimeSpy (Paid) or Heaven Benchmark (Free)on your GPU.

User_od
Level 8
[UPDATE]

ASUS support got back to me, and they were very helpful.

It turned out my 1080ti graphics card required an DisplayPort (GOP) update.
This is so it will work correctly with the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) set to disabled.

In my case the update came directly from Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/
*But I would certainly check with your graphics card manufacturer first to see if they have their own update.

After running this update I can now report everything is now displaying fine when using DisplayPort v1.4.

- Hopefully this information will help someone else out.

Just changed i7 3770 platform to ryzen 3800x (asus rog x570-f), the GPU is Radeon VII under custom water.

I have the same issue! From time to time it beeps during boot up, then windows eventually is getting shown on the screen alright but the WHITE LED on the mobo is left shining until I reboot.

ROGod wrote:
Hopefully this information will help someone else out.

Thank you very much ROGod for you info!

But could you please give me a link to the asus web-page where I can submit ticket? Also, please write your ticket number so I can refer to it, I think it will speed up things. Thank you!

Thank you very much for sharing! This solved it for me as well. Using ROG-STRIX-Z490-G-GAMING-WI-FI with STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING

ROGod wrote:
[UPDATE]

This is so it will work correctly with the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) set to disabled.

In my case the update came directly from Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/
*But I would certainly check with your graphics card manufacturer first to see if they have their own update.

After running this update I can now report everything is now displaying fine when using DisplayPort v1.4.

User_od wrote:
[UPDATE]

Rog Z490-H + GTX 1080, after change for a new LG monitor, have the VGA white led on, fix after run Nvidia Diplay Port Firmware. Thank you.

You are the motherf* king! Shout outs to you man!  

User_od
Level 8
See: https://www.techpowerup.com/252476/amd-radeon-vii-has-no-uefi-support?

UEFI (GOP) BIOS - FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

amd_radeon_vii_bios_v106_x64.zip

• Extract the contents of 'amd_radeon_vii_bios_v106_x64.zip' to a folder.
  • Right click and run the 'amd_radeon_vii_bios_v106_x64.exe' as admin.
  • Reboot your PC after the update completes.