cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390 Maximus XI Hero triple reboots on cold boot + q code 04/05 on shutdowns & hangs

athletyk
Level 7
Hey all

I’ve just built my pc, specs below— however I’m encountering some weird behaviors with the motherboard. So far I have tried replacing the ram as the previous ones weren’t on the QVL list (mind you they were Corsair 3200c16 2x 8GB sticks which are compatible but meh!

Updated bios to 1302/*
Reseted settings to defaults
turning off fast start in Windows before bios update, haven’t tried after the new update
downloaded every single update from asus’ website **

Disassembled and reassembled components ensuring proper setup etc. all I got from this was my computer resetting BIOS to defaults without me doing anything? Got me thinking cmos battery?

*Specs are:

I9 9900k
Rog rtx 2080 super *
M2 nvme 1tb 970 Samsung evo*
Psu Corsair rm850x
Current ram (vengeance lpx 300mhz, 2x 8GB picked from QVL, previously Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x 8GB 3200mhz)*

Basically my computer cycles as it would boot from a cold start 3 times. First time it would flash for a second, second time it would run bunch of codes *as it would start then indicates A9 then it would restart to a normal start up. And it would be stable from there.*

Cold boot as in (psu off then on) after that it would work. One tech guy locally says this is a normal behavior for memory training? Hmm?

*My second issue is during sleep/shutdowns, i would get q code 04 and sometimes (rarely) 05, monitor would turn off but the fans/LEDs would continue to run( this happens as soon as windows finishes existing.

I really don’t know what to do. I live outside the US and have ordered my stuff through amazon so if this is a broken motherboard I’m gonna go through a huge hassle! *fingers crossed*

Please share any solutions you are aware of!

**Thanks a lot guys.
11 REPLIES 11

hortons71
Level 7
I have Maximus XI Gene. I have experienced similar symptoms. Memory training often fails with Xmp setting and stable tweaked settings. I have "MRC Fast Boot Enabled" now, now it always starts on the first try.
My G.skill is on the memory support list.
I have seen others comment on memory training fails.
There are many Memory training settings in Bios, something is wrong.
I need to read how they work.

I have also had problems with sleep / shutdown with this PC and the previous one, but it has been solved by increasing "stand by voltage" just a little in Bios to 1.070v.

Hey man, thanks for the input!

Were you getting codes 04/05 on shut downs? I have never messed around with these voltage parameters but if it fixes the problem, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Yes. I guess they can get pretty random at low voltage. You can try or continue reading.

I don't know how used you are to memory parameters? But in my case it seems to be RTL parameters, Memory training has a problem to determine.

I got a reply from asus support today stating that the triple boot is normal and called it “POST” process.

As for the code 05, they suggested clean install with the latest updates, which I have already done. *

Don’t know what to do, I guess I could just live with it and hope a future update would address this.*

Try to solve the problems, or make them more manageable. Or cancel the purchase if possible. Or talk to another asus support, if any.

I know that it is not easy to convince the seller that the product is not working properly and that it is not the customer's fault. I bought an Msi Sea hawk rtx 2080 ti for my previous PC. PC worked poorly for 5 min and I had blue screen twice, then smoke filled the whole room. The pci connector on the graphics card and the pci slot on MB had melted. It was humid. I was sure that the card leaked so it became a short circuit current that melted the pci port on the motherboard. The seller could not replace the card because he said I did not push the card down enough in the pci slot, but I had proof that all the pins on the pci connector were scratched to the correct depth after mounting. I finally convinced him to send the card to Msi or approved workshop to determine if the card leaked and then created a short circuit. After a month and a half, I received a reply that the card was wrong and I could take out a new one. I took the Rog strix rtx 2080 ti oc. I have read that several people with msi and evga water-cooled cards suffered the same injury but failed to get any compensation. The point is that it is easier to get help if you buy a pre-installed PC than if you build it yourself.

hortons71 wrote:
I know that it is not easy to convince the seller that the product is not working properly and that it is not the customer's fault. I bought an Msi Sea hawk rtx 2080 ti for my previous PC. PC worked poorly for 5 min and I had blue screen twice, then smoke filled the whole room. The pci connector on the graphics card and the pci slot on MB had melted. It was humid. I was sure that the card leaked so it became a short circuit current that melted the pci port on the motherboard. The seller could not replace the card because he said I did not push the card down enough in the pci slot, but I had proof that all the pins on the pci connector were scratched to the correct depth after mounting. I finally convinced him to send the card to Msi or approved workshop to determine if the card leaked and then created a short circuit. After a month and a half, I received a reply that the card was wrong and I could take out a new one. I took the Rog strix rtx 2080 ti oc. I have read that several people with msi and evga water-cooled cards suffered the same injury but failed to get any compensation. The point is that it is easier to get help if you buy a pre-installed PC than if you build it yourself.

wow man that sounds terrible! one of the reasons why I chose rog board+gpu was the horrible reviews the rest had on amazon's stores. i thought i would get away by paying a little extra but i guess not. i would request a return but i am yet to determine whether issue is software related or hardware, when the booting occurs at the bios level, no codes are given, it's only after windows runs. so hmm? i don't know! i am not a computer genius but many things have started running into mind considering this is my first build, I thought i screwed something up while building with the way this thing boots up and the shutdown, i made sure that i followed every step. practiced on a previous older pc but meh!

anyhow, the PC seems stable other than the shutdown 05 code for now. I wish their support had even bothered explaining what are the possibilities of triggering such code instead of sending me to a huge futile loop.

Yes keep looking for information

mdzcpa
Level 12
The 3 boot cycle is normal on all M11 boards. If you keep your PSU powered after a shut down the 3 boot cycle stops as the memory training parameters are retained.

03/04 sleep errors normally come from memory issues. Try one stick, or swap back to the older memory to see what happens.