cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS update or no, Win 10 issues

PakRatJR
Level 7
Hello

I have a Crosshair 6 hero with I think 1401 BIOS, Ryzen 1700 overclocked, 16GB 3200 and SLI 1080ti. I have been using Win 8 for ever without issues but recently decided to attempt Win 10 again.....long story....

I am on my third attempt with 10 this go around. I have it set up with dual boot for now and I THOUGHT I finally had everything working Win 10 wise but I barely got a week into actually using it full time before i started having issues again. Mainly with mouse lag and things freezing/locking up when trying to do some of my "normal" daily things, and a couple days ago it actually BSODd on me while trying to restart the computer after issues.

I know as a general thing that the BIOS "shouldn't" be a issue but being that Win 8 has been running flawlessly, and as far as i can tell, all my settings and everything I can think of is set as it should be, the only thing I have left for thinking is the BIOS. I have seen occasional mentions of needing to update for various reasons but being my current version is stable and working with Win 8, i don't really want to do a update and hope it works.

Would anyone have any thoughts on if anything would be different BIOS wise that would affect Win 10 working properly?
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
Bios your on is extremely old and maybe the cause of the issues with windows 10. I would move to latest one 7601, I actually moved to beta above this recently from 7201 for the board and 2700x. If you want to rule it out as an issue with windows 10 move to at least 7201 (because I know for sure this bios works in windows 10, at the date of this post which happen to be when updated to newer beta bios).

As to reasons,
There were patches in microcode and updated AMD chipset drivers require the later microcode. It will be a great guessing game that you will lose trying to find right combo of microcode and drivers to work with current windows 10 (remember windows 10 is not static either). Just use the latest bios or 7201 (which at the moment works) and manually get latest AMD chipset drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
Bios your on is extremely old and maybe the cause of the issues with windows 10. I would move to latest one 7601, I actually moved to beta above this recently from 7201 for the board and 2700x. If you want to rule it out as an issue with windows 10 move to at least 7201 (because I know for sure this bios works in windows 10, at the date of this post which happen to be when updated to newer beta bios).

As to reasons,
There were patches in microcode and updated AMD chipset drivers require the later microcode. It will be a great guessing game that you will lose trying to find right combo of microcode and drivers to work with current windows 10 (remember windows 10 is not static either). Just use the latest bios or 7201 (which at the moment works) and manually get latest AMD chipset drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support.

Hope you find this of help.

Thanks. I will give 7201 a try. My biggest concern was not wanting to mess up my Win 8 working but I do kinda remember now reading about all the changes lately on the BIOS update thread. I will give the BIOS a try and hopefully I can remember all my settings for things lol 😄

You can save settings from the bios to a file before you update. It on the same page as the update utility just further down (highlighted in green), excuse the quality of the picture I had to grab from youtube video. You can in the menu save to bios or save to a file. As the BIOs will be cleared, use the save to file (it's a text file and readable). You can then print the file or upload back into the new bios.