cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wont power on at all

martinav
Level 7
I have put together mostly new parts on a Asus WS x299 Sage motherbaard. It went quite easy, as usual. I powered it up, and installed windows. All fans were running, and seemed to be perfect. It just shut down, no warning.

WHen I try to start up, the power and reset light dim, then come back on. No other sounds or activity. No Q-code, nothing. If i hold the power button thats on the motherboard, i do hear a click in the power supply every 5 seconds or so, but nothing more. Power and Resest remain illuminated.

Any ideas? My instinct tells me the power supply is in someway failed. It is a Corasair AX1200i. I got it new on ebay, open box. Seller was a bit of a jerk, but an established seller.

Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Talon1
Level 7
Have you tried the paper clip test on the power supply? That will tell you if it has a fault.

RedSector73
Level 12
martinav wrote:
WHen I try to start up, the power and reset light dim, then come back on. No other sounds or activity. No Q-code, nothing. If i hold the power button thats on the motherboard, i do hear a click in the power supply every 5 seconds or so, but nothing more. Power and Resest remain illuminated.

Any ideas?

Off top of my head.

It sounds like dead short. If you remove the power cord from the PSU, wait minute or two, plug back in and it starts - great but you have random dead short (not great). If it starts and the fans runs briefly / shutdown (you still have dead short - start looking)

If this is a dead short than power cables touching something, bracket (such as cpu one backwards can do it or screws done up too tightly), motherboard stand off screw pin or screw in wrong spot. (are some common mistakes - been building computers 25 years and done some of these, don't beat yourself up)

if this does not help. post back and give some more ideas.