MotherboardASUS Maximus IX Code
    Processori7 7700k Kaby Lake
    Memory (part number)Corsair 2x8 gb DDR4000
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 SSC
    Storage #1Samsung Evo 960 m.2 ssd
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster 612 v2
    CaseCorsair Crystal
    Power SupplyEVGA 750 Gold
    OS So far none - can't get anything to install!

Preset overclocks reset computer multiple times before final boot - normal?

Greetings all:

X Code ROG w/ z370 chipset / i9 9900K / 64 gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum
    It also has an RTX 2080ti in it.

Anyway, I have never really overclocked machines in the past. I've used the presets in the BIOS setup so far. When I choose , lets say Gamer OC, it shows the changes and asks to save. I do so of course. The computer then attempts to POST. It takes about 30 seconds or so, and the computer turns off. It does that several times and finally boots.

CPU-Z [1.90.1] reports the changes and if I bench it I can see a massive difference compared to the "safe defaults" in the BIOS. It hauls. So much so that I had to upgrade to a Noctua NH-D15 heatsink. I prefer to avoid water if possible. HW Monitor was reporting around 100c and this thing got it down to around 87c sustained.

Also, with one of the OC 'wizards' I will get a splash screen announcing "38% Overclocked" as it boots. Added to the start screen. This setup routine doesn't seem to need several restarts for some reason. This is the wizard that asks about what kind of cooling system you have etc...

Can someone explain what is happening and if this is something that overclocking folks necessarily have to tolerate if they want to get up and running 'eventually' with the settings that make the machine fly?

To be honest, I see only slightly better performance over my i7 7700k Kaby in normal work when I just use the bios defaults with the i9. I don't game by the way. Think video editing, graphics, and Blender type stuff.

Any thoughts would be greatly accepted. Even criticism.

Atomkey.
    A set of all sets includes set theory as a set making the set no longer theory