cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preset overclocks reset computer multiple times before final boot - normal?

atomkey
Level 7
Greetings all:

X Code ROG w/ z370 chipset / i9 9900K / 64 gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum
It also has an RTX 2080ti in it.

Anyway, I have never really overclocked machines in the past. I've used the presets in the BIOS setup so far. When I choose , lets say Gamer OC, it shows the changes and asks to save. I do so of course. The computer then attempts to POST. It takes about 30 seconds or so, and the computer turns off. It does that several times and finally boots.

CPU-Z [1.90.1] reports the changes and if I bench it I can see a massive difference compared to the "safe defaults" in the BIOS. It hauls. So much so that I had to upgrade to a Noctua NH-D15 heatsink. I prefer to avoid water if possible. HW Monitor was reporting around 100c and this thing got it down to around 87c sustained.

Also, with one of the OC 'wizards' I will get a splash screen announcing "38% Overclocked" as it boots. Added to the start screen. This setup routine doesn't seem to need several restarts for some reason. This is the wizard that asks about what kind of cooling system you have etc...

Can someone explain what is happening and if this is something that overclocking folks necessarily have to tolerate if they want to get up and running 'eventually' with the settings that make the machine fly?

To be honest, I see only slightly better performance over my i7 7700k Kaby in normal work when I just use the bios defaults with the i9. I don't game by the way. Think video editing, graphics, and Blender type stuff.

Any thoughts would be greatly accepted. Even criticism.

Atomkey.
A set of all sets includes set theory as a set making the set no longer theory
8 REPLIES 8

XYchromosone
Level 10
the constant reboots after using certain OCing parameters does cause this. I believe it has mostly to do with memory training, as the system attempts to see what works and what doesn't, the latter is probably a post crash that the BIOS detects and retests another memory parameter after a reboot. So, as long as it doesn't happen more than 3 to 4 consecutive reboots, then this is normal activity.

XYchromosone wrote:
So, as long as it doesn't happen more than 3 to 4 consecutive reboots, then this is normal activity.

Hey thanks for the reply. That's what I was kinda hoping would be the case. I wondered about a 'learning' process myself. I figured that it was the latter of the case though - deciding it had tried a setting that was 'out of bounds' and then dialed it back a little, until it could pass some acceptable threshold and finally boot.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

Have a great Christmas ...

Atomkey.

XYchromosone
Level 10
it was my pleasure to help.

BTW the boot screen that announced the % of the OC is normal when you choose to use the automatic tuning feature in the BIOS and no multi reboots are usually required with that feature, too. So what you saw is again, normal.

XYchromosone wrote:
...the boot screen that announced the % of the OC is normal when you choose to use the automatic tuning feature in the BIOS and no multi reboots are usually required with that feature, too. So what you saw is again, normal.

XY - Hey thanks for the addendum on that. I was thinking that to be the case, but the additional clarity here makes for good content. Perhaps it will be helpful to others looking for complete answers. I expect this is probably applicable across the ROG range of ASUS mother boards. I wish there were a way to find out the settings the BIOS finally settles on when I don't use the wizard. After it reboots four times I'm fairly certain it has decided things it likes that may be slightly better than the wizard mode. If I knew what it settled on, I could go in and make those settings 'fixed' and possibly get the best of both worlds - the wizard setup and the OC preset setup.

Time permitting I will experiment and ultimately figure something out. I believe the Corsair Memory I have installed is also a culprit. I wanted 64 GB in the machine, but the Dominator Platinum RGB Series doesn't fly very well. I noticed later it isn't on the approved vendor list tho. I expect I will be better off with 32 GB of an approved ram that can actually perform at the speed it is advertised. This stupid Corsair stuff won't even do 2133 and it's advertised at 3466.

Until I discover otherwise, here is WHAT NOT TO GET for 64 GB ram on an ASUS board: :mad:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR-PLATINUM-RGB/p/CMT64GX4M4C3466C16

Thanks again!

Atomkey.

you can get a full picture of all BIOS parameters and their value by saving the BIOS configuration as a text file, on a USB stick plugged in a USB port. By memory I believe the utility is under "Tools > Load/Save Profile from/to USB Drive" and then press one of the function keys [might be F2 if memory serves], which is explained at the bottom of your screen which function key to use to save as a text file to USB stick. You can then open the file with notepad and read off to your hearts content regarding the nitty gritty BIOS parameters/values etc. You can take a before-and-after "snapshot" of your BIOS settings and then compare the two text files to find out what values have changed.

XYchromosone wrote:
You can take a before-and-after "snapshot" of your BIOS settings and then compare the two text files to find out what values have changed.

XY: Hey that's neat I hadn't paid close enough attention in the BIOS to notice that feature. So I guess I would count the number of resets before it finally boots, and then interrupt it with del/f2 to grab the settings it had finally decided were okay... Otherwise if it completes the boot into windows I think it will go through the entire process again when I restart.

I might be mistaken now that I think about it. I normally never restart. I always cycle power with shutdown. So it could be that a restart would just go straight through without all the mucking about in hyperspace while it figures things out. If that's the case I would certainly be able to save the config in BIOS that it favored. Is that what you are meaning?

That would be supreme.

Atomkey.

atomkey wrote:
XY: Hey that's neat I hadn't paid close enough attention in the BIOS to notice that feature. So I guess I would count the number of resets before it finally boots, and then interrupt it with del/f2 to grab the settings it had finally decided were okay... Otherwise if it completes the boot into windows I think it will go through the entire process again when I restart.

I might be mistaken now that I think about it. I normally never restart. I always cycle power with shutdown. So it could be that a restart would just go straight through without all the mucking about in hyperspace while it figures things out. If that's the case I would certainly be able to save the config in BIOS that it favored. Is that what you are meaning?

That would be supreme.

Atomkey.

The latter is what I was referring to. You can not take a spontaneous BIOS snapshot during any kind of BIOS / POST routine, it has to be a SNAPSHOT of a pre-configured postable BIOS, once you're in the UEFI and you then use the save BIOS as text utility i explained above.

BTW any reboots due to memory training etc., after tweaking the BIOS should only occur once, not re-occur after rebooting out of Windows.

XYchromosone wrote:
The latter is what I was referring to. BTW any reboots due to memory training etc., after tweaking the BIOS should only occur once, not re-occur after rebooting out of Windows.

XY:

Thanks for the continued correspondence. I think this has been more help than I was ever expecting. And I hope it stands out for other folks looking for this information.

Have a great holiday and a Merry Christmas! Happy New Year 2020.

Atomkey.