Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Zenith II Extreme can't Boot / POST with 3 or more GPU

Oguzbir
Level 7
Just purchases 3rd gen threadripper 3960x on Zenith II Extreme
But I get Bios error D4 if I add more than 2 gpu cards

I'm NOT after SLI performance so no SLI cable needed. I'll use the graphics card for 3D rendering. So. their pcie connection speed / lanes is not important for me. they can connect even at 1x

I have tried all the cards in different slots. I tried disconnecting all HDD/SSD's
All the slots are working But until I add a 3rd gpu in the motherboard.
Motherboard gives and error and does not boot.
The LCD screen on the mother board tells me the code is D4

Can you please help me.
My ultimate aim is to run 4 gpu's at the same time.
I puchased a (PHANTEKS - 600mm Vertical GPU Riser Extender Cable) it's 16x riser cable
So, that I can use all the PCI slots with gpu's

Can I use 4 cards or 3 cards in the same system?
I think the RAM I'm using seems to be untested with this system.

What is the cause of this issue.?
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
ZENITH II EXTREME
Corsair 4x16GB Vengeance RGB PRO -- CMW64GX4M4C3200C16

GPUs:
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 SC -- Geforce RTX 2080ti - Driver: 441.28

C: Samsung ssd 970 Evo Plus Nvme 1 TB WDC 2002FAEX - hdd 2tB
WDC 4003FZEX - hdd 4tB -- WDC 1001FALS - hdd 1tB WDC 2002FAEX hdd 2 tb -- ST10000dm0004- hdd 10 tb -- Samsung ssd 840 Pro Plus Nvme 256 GB -- Samsung ssd 850 Pro 512 GB
15 REPLIES 15

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you confirm the GPUs you are trying to POST with are the ones in your signature? Have you tried any number of combinations? (For instance 3x 1070)

D4 is a PCI resource allocation error, meaning the system is claiming to be out of resources.

Thanks
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Can you confirm the GPUs you are trying to POST with are the ones in your signature? Have you tried any number of combinations? (For instance 3x 1070)
D4 is a PCI resource allocation error, meaning the system is claiming to be out of resources.
Thanks

Hi,
Yes I can confirm. All the GPU listed in my signature are the ones I'm trying to work it out.
I've tried almost every combination.
All the cards do POST when only one of them is connected individually.
All the Two pair (not SLI) cards combinations do POST.

In no circumstances I was able to POST with 3 cards. 3x 1070 or 2x 1070+ 2080ti
My current setup is working as 1x 1070 is at first PCI slot and 2080ti is at PCI-3 using a Shielded 16x riser card with no issues.
To be honest any second card (this case) 2080ti is working at which ever slot i connect to.

The power cables I'm using on the main board are the two 8 pin Socket are connected with 8pin power cables
And I've also connected power to the 4 pin EZ molex socket to supply enough power when I use the 4 gpu's together.

I do understand that the error code D4 is PCI resource allocation error claiming the to be out of resources.

But It's up to you telling me which resources I'm running out. How can I run 4 gpu's at the same time?

I'm upgrading from another Asus Mobo Rampage IV Extreme from last century 2013. MY joining date to this forum.
Even that was able to handle same GPU's Plus many HDD's that It's connected to . I had no issues with.
I purchased this mobo not only for the lastest Threadripper series but also the vast amount of PCI lanes it can process.
The only additional difference I have now is the 1TB m.2 drive 970 evo plus conencted to M.2_1 slot. Which I believe should not cause any issues

By the way I've also tried populating all 4 gpu's to all PCi slots but removing all the HDDs and SSDs I have (except the M.2 Nvme drive)
I've also tried populating all 3 gpu's to all PCi slots but removing all the HDDs and SSDs I have (except the M.2 Nvme drive)

The Bios is updated to Version 0602 dated as 2019/11/22

And lastly I'm also fine if all 4 GPU's had already worked but with the speed of 1x .
The GPU rendering software I'm using is not limited to 16x pci performance.

I don't think and dont hope that motherboard is somewhat faulty. I works perfectly except he GPU issue .

I might consider keeping the card even I can run 3 GPU's at the same time.
But I have paid too much money on this motherboard and I'm looking for answers. IF not I'll have to return this mother board by Friday.

Lastly I'm not considering to RMA or anything this new hardware. I'll just return it to the reseller.
Because if it didn't work on first go it clearly has an issue. I wont feel the trust for this motherboard
Would be great if ROG team could have a look why such thing has happened rather than focusing too much on the Colourful LED features.

Oh. my PSU is Corsair AX1500i

Thanks
ZENITH II EXTREME

GPUs:
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 SC -- Geforce RTX 2080ti - Driver: 441.28

WDC 4003FZEX - hdd 4tB -- WDC 1001FALS - hdd 1tB WDC 2002FAEX hdd 2 tb -- ST10000dm0004- hdd 10 tb -- Samsung ssd 840 Pro Plus Nvme 256 GB -- Samsung ssd 850 Pro 512 GB

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Given the nature of the M.2 NVME drives allocating lanes, it makes sense for the sake of debugging to remove them and see if the system then POSTs.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Given the nature of the M.2 NVME drives allocating lanes, it makes sense for the sake of debugging to remove them and see if the system then POSTs.

Thanks I can try that for the sake of debugging.
Thanks
So, *I’ll try remove every thing connected to it. And just try the gpu’s in the board.
*Adding one by one*

I’ll report when I do that.

But i was kind of expecting advices to disable onboard features *like 10gbit network bluetooth etc
Still this board and trx40 *system with such lanes must be able to do at least 3 way gpus even if all*
Slots are populated with exceptions metioned in the manual.

Thanks*
ZENITH II EXTREME

GPUs:

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:

Seems like I'm not alone in this
Cross linking that forum post.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115481-Zenith-II-Extreme-Post-error-will-not-boot&p=793572...

FYI
I won't be trying the m.2 drive removal test for debug. I'll just return the motherboard unless I get any response from an Asus employee.
This is really annoying.
ZENITH II EXTREME

GPUs:

Oguzbir wrote:
Seems like I'm not alone in this
Cross linking that forum post.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115481-Zenith-II-Extreme-Post-error-will-not-boot&p=793572...

FYI
I won't be trying the m.2 drive removal test for debug. I'll just return the motherboard unless I get any response from an Asus employee.
This is really annoying.

So to confirm, you're refusing to remove the m.2 drive that uses allocated PCIE lanes in order for us to better debug a PCIE error? Doesn't seem like you want help if you can't take the time to remove the drive from the system. Moreover, the user in the other thread isn't receiving the same stop code, so I'm at a loss as to why you'd think the problem is related.

If you change your mind and decide you want to debug the system feel free to return to the thread, as removing devices taking up lanes would be the first and most logical step one can take.

Oguzbir
Level 7
Hi,

The other thread is also having an issue with post. And his setup is less complicated than mine.
He has already tested debugged many options. Received the boards from different places in the country.
There is an issue with the Bios/Post that's clear.

Also just to be clear I do not have 2x m.2 drives just one.
I'll try if I have the time for it. Maybe it's not for you but It's just pointless for me trying these.
And yes, I don't like to help debugging it. I want Asus to come up with ideas rather than search the issue on the user.
The reason I'm posting this in the thread is to let others know that there is a person who bought this mobo and having issues with multiple GPU's he wants to use.
if people want to buy this motherboard they'll think twice or wait for the issue to be resolved. I think that's a great help for the community.

Because it needs to and has to work out of the box and I just don't have the time to debug.

In the meantime I received a response from servicecenter_emea
They are asking me to do this:
in Bios... Advanced > Onboard devices and move the PCIE slots to Gen2 from Auto
That seems like a more plausible thing to test really. I'll see if i can have the time to test.

And this idea is from me that
I'll also disable whatever this board has the features like WIFI, 10gbit network, bluetooth anything that can be turned off. I'll try that as well.

I'd just applaud if Asus would spend less time on LEDs than making it really work.

Thanks.
ZENITH II EXTREME

GPUs:

Oguzbir wrote:
Hi,

The other thread is also having an issue with post. And his setup is less complicated than mine.
He has already tested debugged many options. Received the boards from different places in the country.
There is an issue with the Bios/Post that's clear.

Also just to be clear I do not have 2x m.2 drives just one.
I'll try if I have the time for it. Maybe it's not for you but It's just pointless for me trying these.
And yes, I don't like to help debugging it. I want Asus to come up with ideas rather than search the issue on the user.
The reason I'm posting this in the thread is to let others know that there is a person who bought this mobo and having issues with multiple GPU's he wants to use.
if people want to buy this motherboard they'll think twice or wait for the issue to be resolved. I think that's a great help for the community.

Because it needs to and has to work out of the box and I just don't have the time to debug.

In the meantime I received a response from servicecenter_emea
They are asking me to do this:
in Bios... Advanced > Onboard devices and move the PCIE slots to Gen2 from Auto
That seems like a more plausible thing to test really. I'll see if i can have the time to test.

And this idea is from me that
I'll also disable whatever this board has the features like WIFI, 10gbit network, bluetooth anything that can be turned off. I'll try that as well.

I'd just applaud if Asus would spend less time on LEDs than making it really work.

Thanks.

1. Other users having issues with POST does not mean any two issues are the same. POST process has several stages, and the user you are refering to is not receiving the same stop code as your system, thus meaning the two issues are likely not related. Moreover, the user only has one GPU.

2. You say it's pointless trying, yet the very error you are receiving relates to a resource allocation fault. It is absolute common sense to remove the device using said resources in this instance to see if the stop code persists or not, even if not guaranteed to resolve the error. In short, if you aren't willing to try suggestions given, do not ask for assistance.

3. Feel free to try any further suggestions made by service.

Hi

I solved my issue by turning on the 4G decoding feature in bios.
I can now work with 4 gpu's

But whenever or if I reset the BIOS, it will revert to the default OFF position where it still doesn't POST.

FYI
ZENITH II EXTREME

GPUs: