cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero HELP!

zurick
Level 7
Hi all, I posted last week about not being able to get a ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming mobo to post with 32 GB (2x 16) G.Skill RAM and a 3950x. After working with support they suggested I get a replacement board, but they are out of stock so I'm waiting on that via Amazon.

In the mean time decided I'll pick up a Crosshair VIII Hero from BesBbuy. Upon receiving that I get similar issues as I was getting with the other board. I was ONCE able to get the BIOS recovery screen but that is the only video I've seen from either board. I've done the bios flashback and CMOS reset many times. At this point I can't troubleshoot with ASUS they're referring me to BestBuy for assistance.

I'm starting to think its the CPU or memory but I can't tell because the Qcodes on both boards are always randomly posting different codes and everything is brand new. If anyone else with experience with these recent boards and processor/memory combo or have any other troubleshooting I can try I'll gladly try anything before I start shipping back everything.

I believe my co-worker is going to let me test the CPU on his working rig to see if its the CPU but beyond that I'm not sure what else to try other then buying different memory or trying to get a 3rd board.
9 REPLIES 9

Lothos
Level 7
zurick wrote:
Hi all, I posted last week about not being able to get a ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming mobo to post with 32 GB (2x 16) G.Skill RAM and a 3950x. After working with support they suggested I get a replacement board, but they are out of stock so I'm waiting on that via Amazon.

In the mean time decided I'll pick up a Crosshair VIII Hero from BesBbuy. Upon receiving that I get similar issues as I was getting with the other board. I was ONCE able to get the BIOS recovery screen but that is the only video I've seen from either board. I've done the bios flashback and CMOS reset many times. At this point I can't troubleshoot with ASUS they're referring me to BestBuy for assistance.

I'm starting to think its the CPU or memory but I can't tell because the Qcodes on both boards are always randomly posting different codes and everything is brand new. If anyone else with experience with these recent boards and processor/memory combo or have any other troubleshooting I can try I'll gladly try anything before I start shipping back everything.

I believe my co-worker is going to let me test the CPU on his working rig to see if its the CPU but beyond that I'm not sure what else to try other then buying different memory or trying to get a 3rd board.

What is the memory you are using? Model number (please be specific)

Lothos
Level 7
One more note, I used this memory on the Crosshair VII x470 board and it worked just fine. I got it up to 3733 and it would not go any faster in a 2x16 (32) setup. I sold the memory and went down to a 2x8 setup.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236238?Item=N82E16820236238

F4-3600C18D-32GTZN is the memory model 2x 16 GB sticks

zurick wrote:
F4-3600C18D-32GTZN is the memory model 2x 16 GB sticks

Did you check to see if they are Samsung B-Die?

It was not on the list

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Lothos
Level 7
I found out that memory is not Samsung B-Die they are SK Hynix "C" Dies.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232867

That may be part of the issue, Samsung B-Die seems to work the best with Ryzen.

I'll assume your're loading XMP settings for the RAM. Also, check to make sure the BOOT VDRAM is set to the same value as the XMP, so 1.35v minimum.

@bluestang I'm not loading any settings or modifications at the moment this is all out of the box, I simply want it to post and let me into the BIOS so I can make sure everything is set properly and install Windows.

@Lothos I'm going to try new memory after I test this CPU at my buddies house tonight after work. The memory I purchased was on the QVL and states its "optimized for Ryzen" not sure if that's just generic marketing or not.

I ended up figuring out the issue. So I figured it was between my CPU and Memory and since I had two sticks of RAM (QVL approved G.Skill RAM - F4-3600C18D-32GTZN) the CPU was starting to look like the problem BUT I went to BestBuy anyway and got 2 sticks of Corsair 16 GB - CMT32GX4M2C3200C16 and this ram isn't even optimized per Corsair or on the QVL per ASUS but it didn't care and posted immediately.

Lothos
Level 7
Awesome!

Glad you figured it out, I do suggest you just go through the Samsung B-Die list and pick that up. It does not matter if its on the QVL or not. Samsung B-Die is Samsung B-Die and Ryzen loves them!