cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero x470 issue

Lothos
Level 7
I have two PCs both are identical in all specs and hardware is IDENTICAL and both motherboards are at BIOS 2801. The DDR4 timings are identical

On one PC if it sits for several hours and I turn it on it just sits there. If I wait about 30 seconds and then power it off and then power it back on it posts and boots up as normal

The second PC works perfectly fine.

The PC that I have the issues with I have tried everything from lowering the timings on the memory and lowering the speed etc... but the problem persists. I posted earlier and someone said it was a problem with the BIOS. BUT, I have two PCs with the same exact hardware and settings, one is fine the other is not.

Should I RMA it? I am well within the 3 year warranty provided by ASUS.

Ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

xeizo
Level 12
I've had simlar problems that have been resolved by a bios reset using the button on the IO-shield, reboot, apply the exact same user profile, save, and everything works stable all the time again.

I suppose a Bios Flashback doesn't do a 100% wipe of everything, so at least one hard bios reset is needed even after a Flashback to get a fully fresh/clean bios. It could be the memory training module which needs to be fully reset. Sometimes one is lucky and it works anyway.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo wrote:
I've had simlar problems that have been resolved by a bios reset using the button on the IO-shield, reboot, apply the exact same user profile, save, and everything works stable all the time again.

I suppose a Bios Flashback doesn't do a 100% wipe of everything, so at least one hard bios reset is needed even after a Flashback to get a fully fresh/clean bios. It could be the memory training module which needs to be fully reset.

Isn't doing a BIOS reset in the BIOS menu the same thing? The BIOS Menu is what I did once before and it did not fix the issue.

Lothos wrote:
Isn't doing a BIOS reset in the BIOS menu the same thing? The BIOS Menu is what I did once before and it did not fix the issue.

No, it's not the same thing.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo wrote:
No, it's not the same thing.

I used the reset button and then put the DRAM settings and voltages back and had the same problem. I then noticed that on the board it was occsionally giving an error code of 8d which let me to a link that said someone solved the problem by lowering the SOC voltage (I had it at 1.125 which is what DRAM Calculator had it at). So I lowered it, so far it did boot this morning. Will see what happens tonight as I lowered the SOC voltage to 1.05.

Lothos
Level 7
Yup, looks like lowering VCore solved the problem completely!