cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh-a1 not performing to expectation

syl
Level 7
Hey everyone, I realize that the G73 is the older of the models as I purchased it almost 2 years ago. The warranty is up soon and I just want to make sure that there isn't some issue with my pc.

I have had a number of problems since I purchased it, from a dead keyboard at first, to crashing HDD, and an overall lack of performance ever since I purchased it. I will get low framerates in games and prior to a system restore I was having issues with being unable to play bluerays and regular DVDs.

I don't get to use my computer a lot because I am in the army but when I do, I hate to have to be constantly trying to get it to work. I am not an expert when it comes to computers but here is where I am with it.

Currently I did a system restore and flashed the bios. I have been reading about updating the vbios, but I do not have the GSOD issue that it is supposed to correct so I don't really see the use in it. I am tired of getting treated like an idiot by the foreign customer service, who can barely understand what I am saying or what my issues are. I just want a computer that works and is worth the ass load of cash I spent on it.

I wish ASUS was more accessible in regards to their customer support, and would try to do more than give me the standard runaround.

If anyone has any suggestions or help I would appreciate it.

Oh, what I think was the cause of some of the performance issues I was having prior to the system restore was that I had tried to update the graphics drivers and the catalyst control center directed me to update from the ATI website, so I did. Got a BSOD and then things started going downhill quick. That was when I did the system restore and now it is working but with the factory settings and an updated bios. I am still seeing poor performance, 20-30 FPS on most games that are not even graphically demanding, and sometimes less than 10 FPS and it doesnt matter if my graphics are maxed or bare bones.

It seems to me that there is something I am missing that would fix all of my performance issues but I just don't know what it would be.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for not being an expert. I can post a dxdiag also if that would help.
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
1) DPC Latency can rob you of performance. Run DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) and follow the instructions on the download page to help troubleshoot your system.

2) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your system?

3) What games are giving you framerate performance issues?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

1) Got it, looks fine all below the green line, one yellow spike when I started the game.

2) Trend Micro

3) Star Wars: The Old Republic, It may just be their game... I am doing research and have an open post on their forum as well.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3277387#post3277387

dstrakele
Level 14
Your idea of posting in the SWTOR forum is a good one.

Still it's disappointing to hear you get BSOD's when attempting to upgrade the video driver. It may be worthwhile to check if a vbios update is a requirement for the latest AMD drivers (I don't know if it is). Maybe someone else could weigh in here.

Otherwise, you might try installing the AMD driver from Windows Safe Mode. This will disable other running drivers that may interfere with the new AMD driver installation. I would recommend backing up a current Windows System Image before you make the attempt, just in case System Restore fails to allow you to return to a stable configuration.

dstrakele wrote:
It may be worthwhile to check if a vbios update is a requirement for the latest AMD drivers (I don't know if it is).

Chastity has said that it is. I have the latest drivers and I updated my vbios and I don't have any BSOD so I'd say it's worth a try.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

@syl - Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10322-G73jh-Graphics-Driver-Nightmare

Another user reports a similar AMD driver installation BSOD issue was resolved by using CCleaner to remove
remnant AMD files front a previous install.