cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus S GX502GV dead after RAM and SSD upgrade, no power light

Saracino
Level 7
I bought a 16Gb RAM stick (Crucial CT16G4SFD8266 DDR4 2666mhz) and a 512Gb SSD NVME M.2 and installed both in my Zephyrus S GX502GV to upgrade the total RAM and storage capacity to 32Gb and 1Tb respectively and activate dual channel RAM.
After that I went to turn on my PC and nothing happened.
Now it is totally dead, it doesn't beep, fans doesn't spin and if i connect the power cable, charging light doesn't turn on.
I removed first the new RAM module and then also the SSD (leaving the other old ssd and RAM), tried again, but the laptop doesn't boot, and all the indicators are off.
Any advice on what could have happened?
How can i fix this ?
3 REPLIES 3

titanfallking
Level 7
Saracino wrote:
I bought a 16Gb RAM stick (Crucial CT16G4SFD8266 DDR4 2666mhz) and a 512Gb SSD NVME M.2 and installed both in my Zephyrus S GX502GV to upgrade the total RAM and storage capacity to 32Gb and 1Tb respectively and activate dual channel RAM.
After that I went to turn on my PC and nothing happened.
Now it is totally dead, it doesn't beep, fans doesn't spin and if i connect the power cable, charging light doesn't turn on.
I removed first the new RAM module and then also the SSD (leaving the other old ssd and RAM), tried again, but the laptop doesn't boot, and all the indicators are off.
Any advice on what could have happened?
How can i fix this ?

Did you unplug the battery before working on it? Did you wear an ESD bracelet? ESD is real and you may have fried a fragile component on the motherboard.

You could try a few things.

Take it apart again, unplug the battery and bios battery. Leave them unplugged for 10 seconds or more. While you have it apart, re-seat the original ram, re-seat the ssd and make sure to go over all ribbon cables and make sure you didn't accidentally knock something loose the first time around.

titanfallking wrote:
Did you unplug the battery before working on it? Did you wear an ESD bracelet? ESD is real and you may have fried a fragile component on the motherboard.

No i didn't unplug the battery, because it's a non removable battery and so i thought i could insert another ram leaving it connected.
I didn't wear an ESD bracelet, but i touched some metal connected to the ground before the operation to avoid static damage.
I turned off the notebook before opening it, is it possible to fry an entire motherboard just by inserting a new ram with the system powered off and the battery plugged in?