cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G53S Keyboard Backlight doesnt work

ViskasDievo
Level 7
I've purchased the G53S Series Notebook a couple weeks ago, but just realized that the keyboard's back light isn't working. I downloaded the ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100010 driver, and its still not working. The screen brightness control works well (FN+F6/FN+F5).

Hmmm is it hardware failure? What should I do? Should I bring it to Asus service center nearby, or could I repair it myself by removing the keyboard. But I dont know how to do it.

Any suggestion or help will be appreciated.

Thank you
14 REPLIES 14

vudugan
Level 7
Popped the keyboard off mine to find the cable loose, connected it and all is well.
G53SX-RH71

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) Matte Type Display
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Memory 12GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 3 x 4GB
Hard Drive 750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/2GB GDDR5 295.73

well thx for replying, but its quite risky because I'm not too savvy with these hardware things. I'm afraid my attempt might broke some of the components.

but are u sure it's a hardware failure, not some software things?

Btw could anyone give me tutorial to open the keyboard? hmm I'm kinda confused with the tutorial on the internet that said that we must push in some area above the esc button and other button to unlock the keyboard. Hmm I've pushed it several times but still the keyboard didn't pop out.

vudugan
Level 7
There is a slot above ..esc, f5, f9, prt sc and end buttons. You need something like a small flat head or paperclip even to pop the tabs. Do not just jam it in there. With enough force you will hear a small click and even notice the keyboard rise a bit. SLOWLY tilt keyboard towards you to see if the two cables/ribbons are connected. My right cable/ribbon was loose and I just plugged it back in with the orange stripes facing up. Ideally the tab should be on the top but mine did not respond that way (along with a few others on this site that I have seen).

EDIT: Btw, I am not a Tech... Just adventurous, proceed at your own risk!
G53SX-RH71

vudugan wrote:
There is a slot above ..esc, f5, f9, prt sc and end buttons. You need something like a small flat head or paperclip even to pop the tabs. Do not just jam it in there. With enough force you will hear a small click and even notice the keyboard rise a bit. SLOWLY tilt keyboard towards you to see if the two cables/ribbons are connected. My right cable/ribbon was loose and I just plugged it back in with the orange stripes facing up. Ideally the tab should be on the top but mine did not respond that way (along with a few others on this site that I have seen).

EDIT: Btw, I am not a Tech... Just adventurous, proceed at your own risk!

I've opened it but the orange cable was connected well, hmm I think it's not loose.. or it just me that think it's not loose..
Well could it be some bios problem with backlight? I've seen some forum said that ASUS Center fix it by doing something at your BIOS somehow.. Any of you know about this?

Jeez even it just backlight keyboard but it really concern me this much, because its new..

vudugan
Level 7
I think I read the same post you mentioned. Guess I was fortunate to open it up and see the loose cable as my issue...
G53SX-RH71

vudugan wrote:
I think I read the same post you mentioned. Guess I was fortunate to open it up and see the loose cable as my issue...

Hmm.. I'm considering to re-flash the BIOS, or even update it with new version. But I want to make sure.. I'm afraid its not the BIOS thing.. Btw thx for your help tough

dstrakele
Level 14
If your keyboard backlights flash briefly during startup, it is likely a driver issue. If there is no flash, it is a BIOS or hardware problem. If you do choose to reflash the BIOS, be sure to "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and then Save & Exit.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If your keyboard backlights flash briefly during startup, it is likely a driver issue. If there is no flash, it is a BIOS or hardware problem. If you do choose to reflash the BIOS, be sure to "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and then Save & Exit.

There is no flash during startup.. Okay in that case I'll try to reflash the BIOS. But could you explain me how to do it? Because I never flash BIOS before, I'm afraid to damage other things during flashing. Btw thx before , I really appreciate your help 😄

btw i've read this thread : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11431-ASUS-fixed-my-keyboard-backlight-issue!!

Well it has the same bios with me (205), the light never turn on even at startup, but he use g7sw not g5sw, he just sent it to asus service center. He said that there was a BIOS tool to activate that light.. Hmm I wonder what it was.. Or any of you know about that?