cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Gene LLC vs Vdroop, are these voltages ok ?

edhunterbg
Level 7
Hi,
This is my first Asus motherboard since many years. I got it to OC 9900k. Before getting into overclock I did some measurements, and I thing that voltage drop may be too high during heavy avx load (p95 40k fft and occt small avx).
Please see the attached image.
All tests were with bios 1302.
Column E - is what voltage I set in BIOS. The others are averaged reads from hwinfo64 (ASUS section). Columns K-N are calculated.
I have calculated LLC in mOhms for LLC 4,5,6

llc4 ~ 1.3 mOhm
llc5 ~ 1 mOhm
llc6 ~ 0.4 mOhm

Generally I would like to use LLC4 or 5, But vdroop is very high - 156mv for LLC5 and 160A current - that is almost 1mv for each Amp current!
That is why I am here, please someone check if these numbers look ok? I dont think that my board is fault but just in case.
2 REPLIES 2

Falkentyne
Level 12
edhunterbg wrote:
Hi,
This is my first Asus motherboard since many years. I got it to OC 9900k. Before getting into overclock I did some measurements, and I thing that voltage drop may be too high during heavy avx load (p95 40k fft and occt small avx).
Please see the attached image.
All tests were with bios 1302.
Column E - is what voltage I set in BIOS. The others are averaged reads from hwinfo64 (ASUS section). Columns K-N are calculated.
I have calculated LLC in mOhms for LLC 4,5,6

llc4 ~ 1.3 mOhm
llc5 ~ 1 mOhm
llc6 ~ 0.4 mOhm

Generally I would like to use LLC4 or 5, But vdroop is very high - 156mv for LLC5 and 160A current - that is almost 1mv for each Amp current!
That is why I am here, please someone check if these numbers look ok? I dont think that my board is fault but just in case.

Yep your numbers are correct.
Surprised that LLC5 is 1 mOhm instead of 0.8 mOhms. Default vdroop for 8 core CFL is 1.6 mOhms, so a -50% vdroop would be exactly 0.8 mOhms. That is what Gigabyte's LLC High is, and the next setting, Turbo, is 0.4 mOhms.

I'm pretty sure Extreme and Apex users had LLC5 as 0.8 mOhms. But I am not an Asus owner so I can't say for sure.

I guess your numbers look right based on this chart, with the large rise of RMS compared to idle at LLC6 vs 5.

https://elmorlabs.com/index.php/2019-09-05/vrm-load-line-visualized/

Falkentyne, once again Thanks 🙂
I'm already at home and starting with experiments again.
My father have oscilloscope and if things dont go well will have to use it 🙂
This board has measurement points (in pretty uncomfortable position however).