cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade or new

kamilowski
Level 7
Hey all

just wondering if i should buy a whole new load of parts or just upgrade with video card. Currently running :
Asus p6x
i7 - 930 @4.2
5970 @ 825
6 gig 1600 ram

Want more fps.

Get new 7970,more ram or upgrade the whole lot?

All suggestions appreciated
11 REPLIES 11

Area_66
Level 11
You need a girl friend, I know a little girl name Ivy she'S still in the belly of her mom , but she will born soon.

( wait in June and get the new IVY processor, unless you want to go socket 2011 )

Area 66 wrote:
You need a girl friend, I know a little girl name Ivy she'S still in the belly of her mom , but she will born soon.

( wait in June and get the new IVY processor, unless you want to go socket 2011 )

I think better to suggest already been born, but still in school - will graduate Uni soon! /dodges impending lawsuit ;);)

kamilowski - try and play your games and use PerfMon and to measure the CPU usage. If it's absolutely maxed out then you should upgrade the board and CPU. If not, try GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner to measure GPU usage and see if that's being maxed out too. It could be that case that your dual-GPU card isn't Crossfiring all that efficiently so you're only getting 1.5x HD 5870s worth of FPS.

thank for that, the thing is that i play mmo's like eq2 and with 20+ people on screen and grafix setting @ medium - i only get around 15-23 fps, even less when turning. When I'm solo I can crank the grafix to high or very high and get 50-60 fps and even 100+ as long as I stand still for a few sec. In games like NFS Shift2 is stutters on very high. SKyrim on max is smooth.
I figure it must be the vid card, or could it be my kinda old WD Raptor 75Gb?

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
.....dodges impending lawsuit ;);)

I don't understand that part

chrsplmr
Level 18
...hahhahaha... 66 .. she's in school .. explosive subject .. hahaha .. did you see this butterfly over here...walking away..hehe.c.

well i guess it was pointless coming here , trolls and totally irrelevant posts from the 2 above

kamilowski wrote:
well i guess it was pointless coming here , trolls and totally irrelevant posts from the 2 above

trolls ??? we have sense of humors here... we are not paid consultants….. I give you my opinion in my first post.

Thanks DaemonCantor, I think i'll start with a new ssd as it would be cheapest, the raptor is about 5 yrs old and could use replacing. If that doesn't make much diff, then it will be a new vid card.

cheers

DaemonCantor
Level 13
kamilowski, I've reread your post a few times and done some surfing but no matter what I look at to try and get a handle on your situation, I keep coming back to not a hardware problem really but a software problem. Something just isn't clicking right. I've played EverQuest 2 as well with a AMD 965Black and an EVGA GT430 and received better frame rates than that. Mine were up in the 30 to 60fps. Quake Wars/Enemy Territory I was getting between 50 to 90fps but now I have a single ATI HD5870 1gig and on EQ2 the last I checked was getting an average of 60fps and QWET I'm getting around 140fps. Yes this is with everything turned on but at the same time in Crysis and Crysis Warhead I'm averaging about 40fps. World of War crap I average 110fps. This is why I don't really understand why the low frame rates with a Dual GPU w/built in Crossfire.