cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 disk

Pavoluhliarik
Level 7
Can I use this disc combination in this rog maximus xi hero mainboard?
M.2.1-Samsung 970 evo 250Gb-win 10
M.2.2-Samsung 960 pro 500Gb-Games
Thank
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Those will work fine as separate storage...yes. Might disable a sata6GB port...see your manual

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Not according to the manual. Those are both nvme drives. According to page x of the specifications part, SATA6G_2 will only be disabled if M.2_1 socket is operating in sata mode. Since both drives are nvme, this doesn't apply. (also stated on page 1-25 of chapter 1, product information)

By the looks of it that's a standard size ATX board, and it's the same with my XI Formula. Using 2nvme drives all 6 sata ports occupied and in fully working order, and both nvme slots operating in x4 mode.

I ask because this shows me in bios and I do not know whether it should be like this or I have something wrong thank you.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
it shows "frozen" afaik because its "in use" for secure erase. If you'll try, the bios should ask you for a reboot. (or use a boot disk of some sort to do it". Perfectly normal.

if tthe ssd wouldnt be working, it wouldnt show up in the bios in the first place.

Ch3vr0n thank you

I want to ask about compatibility of these two disks when connected to: M.2.1-adata xpg sx8200 for 1 tb, M.2.2-Samsung 960pro 512 gb. I am mainly interested in the compatibility between the two disks. Asus rog maximus xi hero motherboard. Thank you

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
What do you mean? They're different drives, and windows will see them as such. It's the bios that needs to see them and windows that needs to be able to see/interact with them. The 2 drives themselves don't know or care about the other one being present in the system.

Now I have a samsung 970 evo 250 Gb and 960 for 512 Gb and reportedly to connect SSDs with different controllers (Polaris Phoenix) to the same Intel Z390 controller is not recommended.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Got a source link on that? Where did you read that. Anyway, grab yourself "Crystal Disk Mark" and run it on both drives. If you get speeds upwards of 3200 both drives are performing just fine. I had a 512GB 960 Pro work along a 970 EVO 2TB for months. Zero problems, ever.