cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z390 E Thoughts?

SBnemesys
Level 7
I recently built a new computer a few months back. Due to timing, I had to make a few budget choices to cut back on cost. Instead of the i9-9900k, I got the i5-6900k, and instead of the ROG strix mobo I went with the Asus z390 Prime A. My last motherboard was a Prime series (i7-3770k). I installed only 16GB or as well (2x8GB). I just recently decided to start upgrading to what I originally wanted, starting with the RAM. I purchased another RAM kit, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB. After installing, the system kept rebooting until it stayed on, but nothing worked. RAM was the issue. I tested everything and it seems a2 is the defective slot.

My motherboard is under warranty, so I will have to get it checked. However, I am doing some upgrading to it and would like to get my Asus ROG strix motherboard. Has anybody else used all four RAM slots on this motherboard, and if so, how does it run? I will RMA my current mobo once I install the new one, then use that and the old RAM kit to build a smaller gaming rig for a buddy. Is there anything I should know about the Asus ROG Strix z390-E, or is it as good as Asus has known to be the past several years?
6 REPLIES 6

DM039
Level 7
SBnemesys wrote:
I recently built a new computer a few months back. Due to timing, I had to make a few budget choices to cut back on cost. Instead of the i9-9900k, I got the i5-6900k, and instead of the ROG strix mobo I went with the Asus z390 Prime A. My last motherboard was a Prime series (i7-3770k). I installed only 16GB or as well (2x8GB). I just recently decided to start upgrading to what I originally wanted, starting with the RAM. I purchased another RAM kit, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB. After installing, the system kept rebooting until it stayed on, but nothing worked. RAM was the issue. I tested everything and it seems a2 is the defective slot.

My motherboard is under warranty, so I will have to get it checked. However, I am doing some upgrading to it and would like to get my Asus ROG strix motherboard. Has anybody else used all four RAM slots on this motherboard, and if so, how does it run? I will RMA my current mobo once I install the new one, then use that and the old RAM kit to build a smaller gaming rig for a buddy. Is there anything I should know about the Asus ROG Strix z390-E, or is it as good as Asus has known to be the past several years?

its good board overall. just not for the high freq ram. It prefers to use all 4 ram slots. can reach 3600mhz on ram.

Z390-E user good motherboard even with i9-9900k i am able to OC to 5.0ghz with vcore 1.305 and the MB stay 30c-40c under load. support 64gb max and 4400ghz speed

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
Mine has been well, it's either the IMC com my 9900k, or the board that won't allow me better than 4000mhz from my 4266mhz RAM kit. All 4 slots used though (4x8GB).

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Mine has been well, it's either the IMC com my 9900k, or the board that won't allow me better than 4000mhz from my 4266mhz RAM kit. All 4 slots used though (4x8GB).

can you post a cpuz/tm5 pic ?

DM039 wrote:
can you post a cpuz/tm5 pic ?

What specifically were you looking for?

SBnemesys
Level 7
Thank you for the comments. I know my Asus Prime board is still under warranty, however I also know it may take some time to get back so I will be installing the ROG Strix soon. I will be using all for slots, for a total of 64Gb RAM. Corsair Dominator Platinum at 3200Mhz. I don't plan on going much higher than that. I do only have an i5 right now, but that will soon be replaced too. Money was tight when I built my computer, so now I am getting the parts/specs that I wanted when I built it.