- ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
- Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6 GHz @ 4 GHz
- CMK32GX4M4A3200C16
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix Gaming, 11 GB VRAM
- be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W
- be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
- be quiet! SILENT BASE 800
- Creative Sound Blaster AE-9

Now, talking about gaming, I got a sound recommendation to move to i9-9900KS for a better gaming experience. That would involve also getting a new mobo and most likely the cooling system. I am willing to move for liquid cooling but have a bit of a slow catching up the curve on what mobo to choose. See, I would like a (hypothetical) new mobo to play well with other components, such as 1080 Ti and AE-9.

About the cooling sysytem... I need help with that too.1

I've experienced some weird things with AE-9 and the X299-E: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?113051-Reboots-and-SATA-drives-not-detected-when-AE-9-is-i... . I am convinced that I will see that again if I just reseat the AE-9. It would be great if new mobo could come without all of that. Let's say that I would also like to have at least 6 SATA drives attached, and an air-exposed M.2 slot.

So... shoot. 🙂

P.S.
Per this page:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900KS-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7820X/m929964vs3928

Those are the mobos I would look through:
- Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)
- Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
- Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
- Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating
8 REPLIES 8

KotOr368
Level 9
if you want intel go for KS or KF not K . because all good K become KS so there is slim chance get decent K. But KF got defect iGpu (its bad if you can use it) but still good chance to get decent silicon. my KF stable at all core @5 at 1.25V 0 AVX. with Nh-D15s at stress test 85-90 in games max 65. and i have Apex XI because it has best VRM from XI series. it has 6 Sata but only 2 RAM slots. and i have EVGA 1080ti FTW3 and 1440p monitor and gaming is pretty nice 🙂
but apex is no longer available in my country dont know if you can get one. But Gigabyte Aorus Ultra or Master looks good if you want try some OC they have good VRM. Master is almost same price as Hero wifi (in my country) and master have better VRM. If it wasn't for Apex i would go for Gigabyte because theirs Z390 is better than Asus. but if you want go stock i think almost all mobo can handle these CPUs. but VRM temps are thing lately so just have decent airflow in your case and you should be fine. You can alway buy mobo test it and if it sucks return it. 🙂

But considering you would need change some stuff . Maybe consider Ryzen ? But be aware some user here report that with latest bios and external sound card they cannot boot. If they remove sound card all is fine so some bios bug maybe.

Braegnok
Level 14
The hypothetical system you listed should be fine if your gaming at 1920 x 1080 with 2x Asus VG248QE panels.

I have a Z390 motherboard with i9-9900KS, and use the on-board SupremeFX 8-channel audio it works fine, but guess you could use your AE-9 card.

If your planing on upgrading to 4K panel than yes, a new Z390 and i9-9900KS would be nice, but an expensive upgrade as your graphics card would be limiting FPS.

Running 3840 x 2160 144Hz is indeed epic, but it's not cheep. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/9586757

martine-dee
Level 12
Thanks for the entries, folks! Keep them coming.

Only a short pointer now, I currently game on one of the two 2k monitors. I am happy with the 2k, but might want to move to 240 Hz. This may unintentionally cause a move up in the resolution.

Now, Braegnok, I am not certain exactly what you are saying. Do you mean that I might need to upgrade the graphics card too under certain conditions?

martine-dee wrote:
Thanks for the entries, folks! Keep them coming.

Only a short pointer now, I currently game on one of the two 2k monitors. I am happy with the 2k, but might want to move to 240 Hz. This may unintentionally cause a move up in the resolution.

Now, Braegnok, I am not certain exactly what you are saying. Do you mean that I might need to upgrade the graphics card too under certain conditions?

Figuring with i7-7820X @ 3.60GHz and GTX 1080 Ti @ default settings, running ultra quality settings your CPU Impact on FPS is + 0.0 FPS and CPU Impact on FPS % is 0.0% with Average 1080p Performance of 132.9 FPS, Average 1440p Performance 101.0 FPS, and Average 4K Performance 60.3 FPS.

Compared to i7-7820X @ 3.60GHz with RTX 2080 Ti @ default settings, running ultra quality settings your CPU impact on FPS would be -9.9 FPS and CPU Impact on FPS % would be -10.0% with Average 1080p Performance of 155.4 FPS, Average 1440p Performance 118.4 FPS, and Average 4K Performance 71.1 FPS.

So basically at default settings running 1080p your current system is fine, the RTX 2080 Ti is around 30% faster effective speed than the 1080 Ti but your CPU would be the limiting factor, the 1080 Ti is more than enough for modern games and should not cause any bottlenecks with your current CPU,.. with a little tweaking to your AA settings, and a mild OC on your CPU you should be good to go. The FPS gain upgrading your CPU or GPU does not justify the cost.

ThrashZone
Level 10
HI,
Either of the Hero's but I'd stay away from the strikes line
But yeah I remember seeing your x299-e thread seems that board got shorted out 00 can be board or cpu or both
But can also just be voltage in general not getting to the cpu thus 00 sata related well that is just weird.

3200C16 isn't the greatest but should do rated speed if you really want to oc memory get some b-die which 3200C14 is pretty much the bomb plus 3600C16 or C15 either with tight timings 14-14-14 or 15-15-15 or 16-16-16 as tested latency.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Cooling wise you should be fine seeing it did so-so on 7820x
Many people use clc's like h115i pro's or similar on 9900k-KF
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

martine-dee
Level 12
About fps, I want Quake Champions at stable 240+ fps, preferrably at stable 300 fps. Anything less is kinda what I have right now, with zero upgrade.

The game has about the same fps on high and ultra settings. Also, after I OC'd the CPU from 4 to 4.3 GHz, the FPS had gone up by some 20-30, which led me to the conclusion that the CPU is the bottleneck in the story.

More indicators in the OP here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115706-A-better-gaming-CPU-(taking-recommendations)

martine-dee
Level 12
Hey

Hold on with this thread, I discovered that AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X exists.

martine-dee wrote:
Hey

Hold on with this thread, I discovered that AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X exists.

Scratch that, I am still with Intel.

About my current system, I will keep it functional besides a new rig.

So... i9-9900KS. I've discovered the Maximus XI line, of which I shall take a careful look at Formula, Extreme, and Code. I haven't done that comparison yet, but if you have a reco for some other mobo that supports i9-9900KS better, go ahead, share! That said, I intend to go for the highest speed RAM that works with the mobo, so that will be a part of the research.