cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G75vw - Wifi and Ethernet on Windows 10 stuck at 100Mbps.

MattRidge
Level 7
I have a ROG G75vw laptop, it is one of the "originals" I guess, it's a few years old, but it's running Windows 10 without any issues. It's not the fastest thing out there by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems that Asus has forgotten about this beast.

I can boot up Windows 10 in 20 to 25 seconds on average, which I still think is pretty good compared to some of the Dells I've seen around the workplace, but when it comes to internet conductivity I am running into a huge issue.

I have in the laptop:

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter and Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Both are showing 100MB connection ability, yet I know at least one of these can push 1Gb connections. Now I know, I should not expect true 1GB connections, but I should expect at least 500 on Wifi and 800 on Ethernet.

I am using Cat7 for Ethernet, so my bandwidth on the cable side is nowhere near an issue.

I have scoured the internet for an answer and I've only seen drivers for both for Windows 8, and updated last at 2008.

Is there a way (beyond ripping apart his behemoth) to get these pieces of hardware to behave and work with Windows 10. I can't imagine a computer that otherwise is running flawlessly, can't get true Wifi and Ethernet speeds as predicted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

jdfrench3
Level 12
Here's the latest driver for your WiFi adapter:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/WLAN/WLAN_QualcommAtheros_Win10_64_VER1003456....

Do you have another WiFi connected device using the same WiFi network? What kind of connectivity is that device experiencing? WiFi issues can be caused by either end of the network..

If I was you, I would replace the WiFi adapter with an Intel 7260. I have installed these on a number of G75VWs, works great.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server