cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rampage vs extreme overclocking failed

romax
Level 7
hi all

i've been working without any errors in my music studio for years but suddenly i have this overclocking failed at start up, it doesn't happen always but lately at least 2/3 times a week.
i don't know if i'm overclocking, maybe i can deactivate it?

here some info about what i see in my bios, yes im old school 🙂

rampage vs extreme acpi bios revision 1701
cpu: intel core i7-5820k cpu @ 3.30ghz

total memory 65536mb ddr4-2133

detected ata/atapi devices
p7 HLDT-T DVDRAM GH24NSCO
P9 WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4S0
E1 WDC WD4003FZEX-00Z4SAO
E2 SAMSUNG SSD 850 PRO 1TB

overclocking failed! please enter setup to re-configure your system

when i go to bios i only understand that my SSD should be selected as boot option #1, which it always is.
DVD RAM is selected as boot option #2

when the failed appears i go to bios, change absolutely nothing in the bios, i exit and restart and it works, always.

should i disable overclocking and how? do i need it?
i make music and yes it can be heavy.

any help of you wizards would very much appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

romax
Level 7
here the so called selfies

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

romax
Level 7
forgive me i tried to turn the screenshots

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Usually memory related
Should just use F5 optimize defaults and F10 save and exit
Probably say no settings were changed.

If you can live with only two sticks of memory try that for a little while refer to your mother board manual on which two sticks to leave in and remove the others.

If no errors run with all four memtest 86+ overnight or do it now for that matter
Also see manual on how to clear cmos might be a good place to start.
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Usually memory related
Should just use F5 optimize defaults and F10 save and exit
Probably say no settings were changed.

If you can live with only two sticks of memory try that for a little while refer to your mother board manual on which two sticks to leave in and remove the others.

If no errors run with all four memtest 86+ overnight or do it now for that matter
Also see manual on how to clear cmos might be a good place to start.
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Hey man thanks a lot for your reply, i am going to try that F5 function.

I've noticed that sometimes my SSD (boot drive) does not always show up in bios, i think that's the problem.
Usually i restart my pc and it shows up again in the bios, sometimes only after 2/3 times restarting the pc.
Then my SSD is still not selected as the main boot selection, although i selected it over and over again.

It just shows up on the bottom of the boot option list, i then click on the SSD and my pc starts as normal.
Only to have this problem the next time again and again.

romax wrote:
Hey man thanks a lot for your reply, i am going to try that F5 function.

I've noticed that sometimes my SSD (boot drive) does not always show up in bios, i think that's the problem.
Usually i restart my pc and it shows up again in the bios, sometimes only after 2/3 times restarting the pc.
Then my SSD is still not selected as the main boot selection, although i selected it over and over again.

It just shows up on the bottom of the boot option list, i then click on the SSD and my pc starts as normal.
Only to have this problem the next time again and again.

This is the same behavior I get on my RVE10 whenever there's a failed Windows loading attempt. On startup I get the same overclocking failed error, I hit F1 to enter the BIOS. Nothing is changed, I just exit the BIOS at that point without changing anything and get a normal bootup after that (and the overclocking settings I have go on as normal). I think you are right that the two things you have going on are related, because when I get that it's because of a failed Windows session on my Samsung drive. If I were you, I would do a system backup to a new drive, in case your 850 Pro is starting to go bad. While the error is a memory error, in my own case my RAM is fine and it is just a byproduct of failed Windows session.
Davemon50

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Is your MB battery OK?

Hey Arne

How can i test this?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe get a new one...or see if software will read it...HWiNFO shows it VBAT