cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix SCAR III G531GW Touchpad Issues

Kurausukun
Level 7
I recently got this laptop from newegg, and everything is working pretty much perfectly with one exception: the touchpad. It randomly gets very jumpy, and under-responsive at times. At first I thought it was related to the surface the laptop was sitting on, but now I'm not 100% sure because it seems like it goes in and out of working properly almost at random. Just dragging my finger from left to right, the mouse cursor jumps all over the place along the way, gets stuck briefly before moving on, etc. Basically it feels like the touchpad detection is just really awful.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the ROG website multiple times, but it hasn't changed anything so far. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, were you able to fix it? Is this likely a hardware issue that I should send this laptop in to get repairs for, or are there other solutions I haven't tried yet? Also, yes, I know I could just use a mouse, but that's not really a solution. This is a laptop--I'm not always in a place where it's convenient to use a mouse, plus I like touchpads.
5 REPLIES 5

andresmartineza
Level 7
I have EXACTLY same issue

When touchpad gets uresponsive after reboot or shutdown works again,but afer a while gets unresponsive again.

It is a bios Uefi or hardware related problem, not driver, as it happens too on uefi graphic interface

Did you replace your unit? Did that solve the problem? All units are defective?
Kurausukun wrote:
I recently got this laptop from newegg, and everything is working pretty much perfectly with one exception: the touchpad. It randomly gets very jumpy, and under-responsive at times. At first I thought it was related to the surface the laptop was sitting on, but now I'm not 100% sure because it seems like it goes in and out of working properly almost at random. Just dragging my finger from left to right, the mouse cursor jumps all over the place along the way, gets stuck briefly before moving on, etc. Basically it feels like the touchpad detection is just really awful.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the ROG website multiple times, but it hasn't changed anything so far. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, were you able to fix it? Is this likely a hardware issue that I should send this laptop in to get repairs for, or are there other solutions I haven't tried yet? Also, yes, I know I could just use a mouse, but that's not really a solution. This is a laptop--I'm not always in a place where it's convenient to use a mouse, plus I like touchpads.

No, I have not replaced the unit. I went back home out of state for a few weeks, and the entire time I was there the touchpad worked perfectly with no issues, so I thought the problem might have been fixed. When I got back to my regular home, the touchpad continued to work great for about a day, but then started having the same issues as before. Now I REALLY have no idea what exactly the cause is. I also don't know if this is specific to mine or if it's happening to all units, but judging by the lack of replies it's probably not all of them. I'd still welcome suggestions on what to do.

samandhi
Level 7
I am having the same issue with mine (G731GW). I am thinking it is a hardware issue (static build-up). I am not certain, because I have yet to take mine apart and experiment, but I used to have a G750JM, and it had the exact same issue and was fixed by taking the tape off of it.

A temporary fix (I have found) for the laptop is that when it happens, try touching the frame outside of the touchpad. As silly as this sounds, it works for me. This ALSO reinforces the idea that it is a static electrical buildup issue. When I DO take it apart, I plan on getting some better insulating tape for the underside of the pad, because it seems as if the layout puts it REALLY close to the battery.

Hi,

Similar issue for my G531GV : the touchpad works pretty fine when I'm dragging one finger. But when I want to use two fingers scroll, if my two fingers are touching each other, the scroll fails and it zooms the page instead (is it a poor accuracy issue ?)

samandhi, do you try to isolate the touchpad ?

I have the G731GV and it also does the same.
At random times, if fingers are too close, it zooms in when scrolling down.
At certain times, it also stops tracking in certain spots and I have to stop tracking, then it returns to normal. It might be static build up. I thought about it.
I'm only using the touchpad because I'm travelling and don't feel like taking out my mouse.

I honestly don't really like touchpads or at least not for more than a minute or two. I wish all laptops had trackpoints (pointing sticks like Lenovo/Dell laptops). However, I've never had issues with touchpads like with this laptop. It's also not as instant in tracking as my previous Alienware or my wife's Dell laptop. It kind of lags behind, which is sad for a somewhat premium/expensive machine like this.
ASUS G18 - RTX 4080 - 32GB DDR5 5600 MHZ - I9-13980HX.