cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible CPU throttle?

NewGamer2020
Level 7
Hey

Just put together my new PC, see below for specs.

I've done countless test to make sure my PC perform as it should, and it seems it does it, yet the other night when i was trying out Fallout 76, 2 of the cores suddenly dropped to 800mhz for a split second and back to normal 4.7ghz again, i got no signs of throttle other then it looks like one.

Now in my opinion Fallout 76 is not big power hungry game, and i am able to run prime95 for hours without this problem, so i'm really confused what is going on.

And other games does not seem to do this either.

In HWINFO64 i see this VR VCC Temp. (SVID) i would assume this is the VRM temp. it stays around 30c-40c

Windows 10 Power plan is set for Ultimate Performance so all the cores are unparked.

Everything in bios is default with exception of the unlocked power.

The CPU runs 30c idle, and 40-60c in games depending on the game. Prime95 full load i get around 89c. And that is running 4.7ghz all cores.

I recently did a bios update to 1401.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

MB: Z390-F Gaming
CPU: 9900K with a NH-D15 (2 fans)
RAM: 32GB G-Skill
GPU: 2080Ti
PSU: Coolermaster 1000watt silent pro

I finally found a solution this problem: https://github.com/IIWDTI/Decaffeinated
14 REPLIES 14

KILLER_K
Level 10
Change your Power Options in the Control Panel and see if that fixes it for you. Change it to Maximum Performance and see what happens for you.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
I was getting some temporary throttling the first week I started gaming with my new build. The solution was to change the power option as the above poster mentioned. That either helped or coincided with the problem disappearing. I have since then switched back to "Balanced" and have had no throttling since, except for after installing some Windows updates. It seems to me that some of those updates must involve scanning or something like that--and that these updates are the likely cause of any throttling.

KILLER_K wrote:
Change your Power Options in the Control Panel and see if that fixes it for you. Change it to Maximum Performance and see what happens for you.

Super Gnome wrote:
I was getting some temporary throttling the first week I started gaming with my new build. The solution was to change the power option as the above poster mentioned. That either helped or coincided with the problem disappearing. I have since then switched back to "Balanced" and have had no throttling since, except for after installing some Windows updates. It seems to me that some of those updates must involve scanning or something like that--and that these updates are the likely cause of any throttling.

thanks for the input guys, unfortunately it still does it in Highest performance mode in Windows power plan settings.

its really weird only this game does it.

i'm gonna do some more testing, if anyone find a solution please feel free to contact me.

tousmic88
Level 7
Salut ,si cela ne le fait qu'avec Fallout 76 alors ton 9900k n'est pas fautif mais bien le jeux !

tousmic88 wrote:
Salut ,si cela ne le fait qu'avec Fallout 76 alors ton 9900k n'est pas fautif mais bien le jeux !

Translation: "Hi, if it does with Fallout 76 then your 9900k is not at fault but the game!"

That was my first assumption also, but i do not think games/programs work on such a level were they can change the speed of a single core, and only for a split second, i might be wrong though.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
If it is the game that is causing the throttling, that makes sense. If any software is causing problems simply lower your in game settings. Starting with FPS and other graphics settings this will really help. And it's very likely you won't noticeably change the quality of the game play even if you limited your FPS to as low as 30 (which I do--and my CPU and GPU are running at extremely healthy temperatures, to boot).

You might also consider running HWMonitor to see what your max temperatures are reaching. In my rig, with its well below max settings, a lot of days the GPUs never go above 52 degrees. The CPU is maxing out at 62, but is very rarely above 40.

Super Gnome wrote:
If it is the game that is causing the throttling, that makes sense. If any software is causing problems simply lower your in game settings. Starting with FPS and other graphics settings this will really help. And it's very likely you won't noticeably change the quality of the game play even if you limited your FPS to as low as 30 (which I do--and my CPU and GPU are running at extremely healthy temperatures, to boot).

You might also consider running HWMonitor to see what your max temperatures are reaching. In my rig, with its well below max settings, a lot of days the GPUs never go above 52 degrees. The CPU is maxing out at 62, but is very rarely above 40.

currently everything is running perfect actually no stutter or fps drop at 60fps locked, my only concern is the fact HWInfo is telling me the CPU cores are dropping to 800mhz for less then a second from time to time. It is unusual behavior, and the fact i'm running High performance mode, tells me something weird is going on.

NewGamer2020 wrote:
currently everything is running perfect actually no stutter or fps drop at 60fps locked, my only concern is the fact HWInfo is telling me the CPU cores are dropping to 800mhz for less then a second from time to time. It is unusual behavior, and the fact i'm running High performance mode, tells me something weird is going on.

I had the same thing--as mentioned above. Another thing I did was look at Task Manager. Sometimes your rig can be running stuff you don't need. You might have installed something that is running from start up even though you don't need it.

Super Gnome wrote:
I had the same thing--as mentioned above. Another thing I did was look at Task Manager. Sometimes your rig can be running stuff you don't need. You might have installed something that is running from start up even though you don't need it.

Dont really have anything running other then Intel tuning utility only using it for monitoring of temps and so, might try doing a clean reinstall of Windows sometime after Christmas maybe it will fix it, either way its only Fallout 76 having the problem so who knows maybe its just how that specific game works, still seems unlikely in my book though.