cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog G751JT Adapter Problems

Ajax_Gaming
Level 7
Hi all, I made a thread about this in the past but the problem has precipitously worsened since then. In the fall of 2018 my Rog G751JT would disconnect from AC power while gaming. My event viewer would be littered with 'power source' change notifications and gaming on AC was impossible because eventually the laptop would stop recognizing the adapter no matter what I did.

The "good" part about this issue was that it was only limited to high intensity gaming. I still had a usable laptop for low end/low intensity games, watching streams, Netflix, etc. While this was still an annoying problem given I bought this laptop for higher end gaming, I didn't do much to troubleshoot the problem and just used it as a 'regular' laptop to at least feel like I got some of my moneys worth out of it. It was already out of warranty and I couldn't find anywhere to send it or get a price for what it would take to cost to fix - and honestly reading the horror stories of it being sent to ASUS and STILL not fixed had me wondering if it was worth bothering with at all..so I didn't.

However this past week the laptop started dropping its connection to the adapter under idle/light loads. Now as of last night, it won't recognize the charger at all...even off.

There are 3 likely culprits at play here, according to my research this is a notorious issue with these laptops:

The DC jack itself is broken.
The adapter is bad.
The battery is bad.

I do not think the battery would be bad - it is only at 3 percent wear level according to HWMonitor, though I do not know what that exactly entails. But the laptop has always been plugged in since I bought it in 2016. It was used for gaming with mobility being an afterthought, so the battery should theoretically be in impeccable health. Could it still have gone bad despite never being used or taxed?

The adapter could be the issue, but many posts I have read said that the adapter being replaced did nothing to rectify the issue. To compound to that problem, the OEM adapter for this model are not cheap. There are cheaper 3rd party models on Ebay, but I have not tested any new adapter out.

The DC replacement actually seems like by far the cheapest fix despite being one of the more technically challenging problems (anyone can replace an adapter but cracking open a laptop is always an adventure).

What is my recourse here? When the laptop is properly getting powered, it is still as fast as it was day 1. It still runs games at high FPS, and none of its components seem to be even remotely damaged or compromised in any way. Literally the only problem is the AC power...but obviously that is a big enough problem to render the computer completely useless.

Is it worth looking into fixing this? I love this laptop. Would it be worth sending it into Asus? What would the likely cost to fix it be? Are there any other possible culprits? I have found DOZENS of threads pertaining to this issue.

I will say I am likely going to be buying a Strix Scar series laptop soon, so cracking this laptop open and fixing it as a side project could be fun since it will no longer be my only laptop. I'd love to salvage this laptop because it is an amazing machine when working and still has relevant components three years after purchase. I just didn't want to sink money into it if it is a lost cause. Sadly it has no resale value (the working units still fetch a pretty decent price on Ebay) due to its issues and I'd never knowingly sell an item that has issues.

I would love to fix it though, and am willing to spend money to do so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

jdfrench3
Level 12
Replace the DC-IN board:

Asus G751JT DCIN BD/AS
Part No. : 90NB06M1-R10030

Could also be a bad motherboard.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Replace the DC-IN board:

Asus G751JT DCIN BD/AS
Part No. : 90NB06M1-R10030

Could also be a bad motherboard.

Good Luck

Hey thanks so much for the reply. Is this something I could do on my own? Any tips? Where should I order it from? I don't have any experience disassembling laptops.

I do have some good news- I just got the laptop to recognize the adapter again. A small victory in that at least now I can get the battery topped back up to 100/full charge - though this is obviously just a bandaid fix. Any light usage while it's actually on I am sure it will go back to switching to battery.

Here was a reply from a thread on my same issue:

Gianandrea_Franzoni wrote:
Hi,
maybe i can help.
I had the same problem for months, then the laptops stop charging completely.
I replaced the dc in pcb (not only the jack) but the complete PCB.
After the replacement I never had the mentioned problem again.

Is this part you gave me the same that this user replaced? Excuse my lack of technical ability.

Edit: The prices also seem to vary pretty wildly on Ebay, why is this?

Yes, it is the same board.

The laptop has to be taken apart to replace the DC-IN board. If you are not capable to perform such tasks, then I suggest you take it to some local tech who can. The DC-IN board failure is common on the G751 model. You may find it hard to locate a replacement because of its' popularity. Originally the part was about $25, now some sites are asking $100+.

Disassembly and repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYdzqDJ3KY

Laptop repair site: https://powerjackrepair.org/

I'm not going to research a place you can purchase the part. That's your job. I would suggest if you are going to rely on someone else to make the repair, then have them source the part.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Yes, it is the same board.

The laptop has to be taken apart to replace the DC-IN board. If you are not capable to perform such tasks, then I suggest you take it to some local tech who can. The DC-IN board failure is common on the G751 model. You may find it hard to locate a replacement because of its' popularity. Originally the part was about $25, now some sites are asking $100+.

Disassembly and repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYdzqDJ3KY

Laptop repair site: https://powerjackrepair.org/

I'm not going to research a place you can purchase the part. That's your job. I would suggest if you are going to rely on someone else to make the repair, then have them source the part.

Good Luck

Cheers, thank you very much. Does seem like the part is unavailable on the ASUS website, but looks to be abundant on Ebay. My main confusion stemmed from the wildly differing pricing, but most seem to be in the 15-25 dollar range. More than acceptable.

I do think that the board is the culprit upon all my research as well as your advice.

Thank you for your help & Happy Holidays.

I will report back in a few weeks with my progress.

Executioner55
Level 7
Looks like I'm out of luck. My G751JT is having this intermittent charging issue. The charging brick test fine so it must be the 90NB06M1-R10030 board, but there are none available on ebay. I did find only 1 place that has the part, but they want $204: https://www.memory4less.com/asus-laptop-accessory-90nb06m1-r10030

I guess it's time to scrap the unit. I've already replaced the battery just a week ago, and the palmrest that included a new keyboard. Not very cost effective to send it to Asus for repair, being changed for well over $1000.

Executioner55 wrote:
Looks like I'm out of luck. My G751JT is having this intermittent charging issue. The charging brick test fine so it must be the 90NB06M1-R10030 board, but there are none available on ebay. I did find only 1 place that has the part, but they want $204: https://www.memory4less.com/asus-laptop-accessory-90nb06m1-r10030

I guess it's time to scrap the unit. I've already replaced the battery just a week ago, and the palmrest that included a new keyboard. Not very cost effective to send it to Asus for repair, being changed for well over $1000.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=90NB06M1-R10030&_sacat=0

Executioner55 wrote:

Hey,

I would try to replace the jack before the motherboard personally. It's a much less pricey part and seems to be the main culprit on these models. I'm not sure if you've since fixed the issue but it's important to note (which I'm sure you already know since you've disassembled it) that the PCB/Jack is not soldered onto the motherboard. It is its own separate piece. So theoretically replacing a motherboard with a bad PCB/Jack would not rectify the issue. Because I do not believe the motherboards come with their own PCB/Jack, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Looks like that was indeed the part you were trying to replace. Yeah, I couldn't find the part with the PCB either for my model. Power Jack Repair if you want to use them charge $100 to replace the jack. I'm not sure if he does any tests (or if there are any) to test if it's the PCB that malfunctioned and not the Jack. But given my experience of being able to plug in with a new jack after not being able to plug in at all - it's possible it might be the jack only that's broken.

He solders a new jack onto the original PCB. Which is great if it's the jack that's the culprit. But if the PCB is well then yeah...it wouldn't fix it. I've read reports of sometimes the jack being enough for people and sometimes them needing the PCB.

I really wish the DC in PCB part was easier to replace. Because ironically that is a much easier repair as there is no soldering required. It's just plug and play basically. The only reason I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself is it's a pretty difficult computer for a rookie to disassemble. I wanted a pro to do it. And that's exactly what I got.

I figure by now you've probably already diagnosed and fixed your issues, but just in case you haven't I'll leave this information here for you or anyone that stumbles onto this thread at a later time. The G751 is an amazing laptop when it's working, but sadly it seems to cause people a lot of headaches as well.

Executioner55
Level 7
Hey thanks bazzarooney for that link. I ordered 2 of them. It will also be a good time to remove the mobo and reapply thermal paste to the cpu and video.

Executioner55 wrote:
Hey thanks bazzarooney for that link. I ordered 2 of them. It will also be a good time to remove the mobo and reapply thermal paste to the cpu and video.

My pleasure my friend, hope you manage to revive your rig 🙂