Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

I finally got around to trying to fix this laptop. I ended up using powerjackrepair.org. Thank you to JD for pointing it out many years ago. I had actually known about it prior due to his Youtube videos repairing my same model.

I sent it to PJR on Thursday, 7/8/22. He received it today and replaced the power jack. Seems to be holding a charge now with the adapter I had sent alongside with him.

I highly recommend Power Jack Repair for your power port repair needs. The business owner is a stand up guy who sacrificed his personal time on his weekend to wait for my package to arrive, sign for it, and ended up working on my machine immediately.

He did not see any visible damage on the jack but I do not find it to be coincidental that as soon as he replaces that part the laptop suddenly can be plugged into again/hold a charge. On the old jack I could not get a light / charge no matter what I did. It was dead. Tried it at 3 different houses/outlets with the same result.

I will add something important to anyone revisiting this thread though - I never did end up testing a new adapter. I am not sure if I am fully out of the woods yet. I still have the original PCB so if it's a PCB problem and not a jack problem then I will probably get the same issues - same if its a motherboard or battery issue - but hopefully it was just a jack problem. Or hopefully it is an adapter problem if not a jack because in 2022 those are much less costly to replace than they were a few years ago.

But the PCB/Jack is almost always the culprit with this model I am finding. As I stated originally, the battery had almost no wear on it. The voltages from the adapter were all copacetic. But it went from losing power while gaming to losing power completely. I am confident it was the jack that was broken, I'm just hoping it wasn't also the PCB - as again we only replaced the jack itself.

The correct PCB part does seem like a pain to find in 2022. But I'm sure with some detective work it can be found.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

When I receive the laptop back in a few days, I will run some tests and report my findings. I am just thrilled that it can at least hold a charge again. I have since upgraded so it working at full capacity is not a neccessity, but it would still be nice to get a few years yet out of this laptop.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner55 View Post
    Looks like I'm out of luck. My G751JT is having this intermittent charging issue. The charging brick test fine so it must be the 90NB06M1-R10030 board, but there are none available on ebay. I did find only 1 place that has the part, but they want $204: https://www.memory4less.com/asus-lap...0nb06m1-r10030

I guess it's time to scrap the unit. I've already replaced the battery just a week ago, and the palmrest that included a new keyboard. Not very cost effective to send it to Asus for repair, being changed for well over $1000.

Hey,

I would try to replace the jack before the motherboard personally. It's a much less pricey part and seems to be the main culprit on these models. I'm not sure if you've since fixed the issue but it's important to note (which I'm sure you already know since you've disassembled it) that the PCB/Jack is not soldered onto the motherboard. It is its own separate piece. So theoretically replacing a motherboard with a bad PCB/Jack would not rectify the issue. Because I do not believe the motherboards come with their own PCB/Jack, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Looks like that was indeed the part you were trying to replace. Yeah, I couldn't find the part with the PCB either for my model. Power Jack Repair if you want to use them charge $100 to replace the jack. I'm not sure if he does any tests (or if there are any) to test if it's the PCB that malfunctioned and not the Jack. But given my experience of being able to plug in with a new jack after not being able to plug in at all - it's possible it might be the jack only that's broken.

He solders a new jack onto the original PCB. Which is great if it's the jack that's the culprit. But if the PCB is well then yeah...it wouldn't fix it. I've read reports of sometimes the jack being enough for people and sometimes them needing the PCB.

I really wish the DC in PCB part was easier to replace. Because ironically that is a much easier repair as there is no soldering required. It's just plug and play basically. The only reason I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself is it's a pretty difficult computer for a rookie to disassemble. I wanted a pro to do it. And that's exactly what I got.

I figure by now you've probably already diagnosed and fixed your issues, but just in case you haven't I'll leave this information here for you or anyone that stumbles onto this thread at a later time. The G751 is an amazing laptop when it's working, but sadly it seems to cause people a lot of headaches as well.
    Last edited by Ajax Gaming; 07-11-2022 at 12:19 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

This is really strange. I could not get it to charge the battery after several attempts of plugging and un-plugging the charging brick. There was no orange light indicating charging. That was yesterday. This morning, I plugged in the charger and the orange light is lit indicating charging. WTF? So I'm not sure what the problem could be, but I did order a new jack from NewEgg as a last ditch effort. Not sure what would be causing this intermittent charging issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2